The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I eat the same foods every day. Does anyone have suggestions for fat options? Is yogurt a low carb option?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Full fat greek yogurt is a great option. Butter, coconut oil, many hard cheeses, bacon, soppressata, regular cream cheese, the fat on meat, the skin on chicken and turkey. Olive oil, fish oil, and many fatty, cold water fish. The list is very long. Avocado is good on your salads, or for making guacamole. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Also, generally I think soft cheeses are better than hard ones. Check the fat vs. protein on the label. Good cheeses will have more grams of fat - preferably way more - per serving.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Search our recipes board, Moe . . . there are low-carb ice cream recipes, made with heavy cream and artificial sweeteners. Those ice creams are okay. Commerical ice creams are more than likely way too high in carbs, and prob'ly not made with cream either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about eating some great northern bean, avocados, leafy green vegetable and a handful of nuts about 10 walnuts or almonds. Eating some of these ail give you that good fat you are looking for and energy.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
If I were looking for fat, I'd certainly avoid the beans and the greens. Moe, I've actually made a few of the ice cream recipes Shanny mentioned. They're pretty good, and can be doctored up a bit with low-carb ingredients, as needed. I've experimented with them several times and have been pretty pleased! I'm also right there with Pat - add cream cheese to just about anything, and it tastes good! :hungry:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried Yoplaits Greek Yogurt. My BG was 78 before and 108 an hour after. Is that typical or did I eat the wrong one? By the way, that was the first Yogurt I ever ate in my life.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Good that you found some Greek yogurt. I personally favor Fage Total (full fat) yogurt. Many of the yogurts in grocery stores are not full fat, given the current obsession with eating low or no-fat products. Some folks like Oikos, or can suggest others.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I could find at the store was Oikos Greek Yogurt, it seemed to do the trick. My before BG was 93, afterwards it went down to 84.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts