The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Did you lose sight of the path for your diabetes journey during 2020?

I will be the first to admit that the unique challenges of this last year were a struggle for me. I didn't just lose sight of the path, I had no clue where to begin to restart my journey anymore. As it turns out it's the same as it has always been. Start back at the beginning and move forward, one step at a time.

What steps are you taking to keep your feet firmly planted on the path?

·
Registered
13 Posts
View attachment 12577
Did you lose sight of the path for your diabetes journey during 2020?

I will be the first to admit that the unique challenges of this last year were a struggle for me. I didn't just lose sight of the path, I had no clue where to begin to restart my journey anymore. As it turns out it's the same as it has always been. Start back at the beginning and move forward, one step at a time.

What steps are you taking to keep your feet firmly planted on the path?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The steps I'm taking are pretty much what I always did. I hike trails at least 3 times a week, and the other days I have a workout at the gym. Definitely its been a weird year for all of us. For me I bought a house in Feb of last year, just as everything was getting ready to shutdown. i felt trapped in my new house, but was out and about in the community I live in walking around. I rarely would see anyone and thought where the hell did I move to. I'm retired so isolation especially in a new city was a concern. I tried to keep busy settling in and fixing up my house, and hike those trails which ended up being closed for 3 months by the state due to covid. I kept in contact with family out of state by text and phone calls. By June gyms opened here in Florida and I returned twice a week as did the trails. So I was in my usual routine of exercise. I did get Covid in Dec and it was not a mild case. I did recover rather quickly for the most part. I think that my decent fitness level helped me recover rather well. As several people in this community of older people have died from Covid.

Further steps I would like to take is to meet people which has never been a difficulty for me. Here it seems very difficult and I don't blame Covid for that. It's not a very outgoing on welcoming community.

I think one just has to try and stay focused. A Diabetic learns that early in their disease. Diabetes doesn't take give us a break due to Covid . We still have to take care of ourself, which I feel I have during this Pandemic. I'm very prone to Infections and I'm told Diabetes is most likely the reason why. I had little exposure to people all year, yet I came down with Covid. So my advice is to stay on your path and take care of yourself and the Diabetes. We really have no choice in the matter. I get my first Covid vaccine this coming saturday. Stay Safe and keep up a routine. Don't let Covid and the world's problems drive you crazy.

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jimrob.

Don't know how big your town is, but I experienced the same kind of thing of not knowing people when I lived in Colorado Springs. Lived in 2 different house over 2 years and never knew any of our neighbors. With 5 military installations located there, they probably knew that every couple of years they would have new neighbors and just didn't bother. May be why I don't like big busy places. I decided to move back to Arkansas while driving back for a visit and the further east I got in Texas, the more people would wave at you just driving down the road. I now live just outside the city limits of a small town, population ~200.

Glad you are staying focused on the big issue, diabetes, and can get out. My biggest drawback to taking care of myself was that I retired and my activity level dropped considerably. I've stayed plenty busy and active but not the same intensity. Also I haven't been as strict on my carbs as I was when working and intermittent fasting mostly flew out the window.

Great advice you gave. May you forever be Covid free.

Reactions: etherea

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jimrob.

Don't know how big your town is, but I experienced the same kind of thing of not knowing people when I lived in Colorado Springs. Lived in 2 different house over 2 years and never knew any of our neighbors. With 5 military installations located there, they probably knew that every couple of years they would have new neighbors and just didn't bother. May be why I don't like big busy places. I decided to move back to Arkansas while driving back for a visit and the further east I got in Texas, the more people would wave at you just driving down the road. I now live just outside the city limits of a small town, population ~200.

Glad you are staying focused on the big issue, didabetes, and can get out. My biggest drawback to taking care of myself was that I retired and my activity level dropped considerably. I've stayed plenty busy and active but not the same intensity. Also I haven't been as strict on my carbs as I was when working and intermittent fasting mostly flew out the window.

Great advice you gave. May you forever be Covid free.
Thanks MBuster for the welcome. I appreciate that. My town is about 67,000 I believe and that figure quadruples in the winter as you can imagine. I'm in Central Florida in the exurbs of Orlando. There must be at least a million retirees in Central Florida. I love my home but like you and I've always lived in large Metro's. I think I want smaller and less people especially the retirees and snowbirds. I feel overwhelmed by all of them especially this time of year.

I hope life is good for you in Arkansas. I think things should start to normalize again as more and more people have the vaccine. Yes retirement can cause a big drop in activity. Don't let that happen to you. Do try to keep busy. I think a walk is a great way and making it a daily routine is the way to go. Trouble is finding a place just to walk. Fortunately here in central Florida we have so many miles and miles of paved trails. Surely Arkansas must have them also. After all isn't Arkansas the Natural State. So they want you outdoors.

I've always had to watch my carbs as I've been on Insulin so much of my life. I have to count carbs so I give myself the correct units of insulin. Sometimes I'd love to eat something sweet and at times I do. So don't feel bad if you eat to many at times we all do. So try to set a time of day when you just go for a walk and let it become a routine. Stay Safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts