The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My One Touch directions say to stick the needle on side of finger. I have always been using the front of finger because it easier to get blood. Does it effect results if I do it in front of my fingers instead of the side?

·
Registered
633 Posts
No results will be good. They say to use the sides because it hurts less.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have read in several places on the web that we should not test in the tips of our fingers because there are nerves there and repeatedly pricking ourselves there can cause permanent nerve damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find the tip hurts more so I always go on the side and I tend to use the finger all the time but I am not sure that is a good idea. I think I will start switching it up

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I use all of the fingers (minus thumbs) as well. You can still experience pain on the sides if you prick too close to the fingernail or too close to the finger pads. However, done correctly really does minimize the pain.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use the sides and the tips, I really don't think either one is better or worse. I have heard a lot of places say to use the sides, I think because they are fattier. I find the pain issue is more the Lancing device than where you stick. You can even test on other parts of your body with the clear cap provided.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My One Touch directions say to stick the needle on side of finger. I have always been using the front of finger because it easier to get blood. Does it effect results if I do it in front of my fingers instead of the side?
I think wherever it's easiest for you - if lancing on the front gives a better bead of blood and isn't inordinately painful, go for it. I have a numb thumb that I use all the time - I sliced it badly many years ago & required eight or nine sutures to close the injury. It is now completely numb in that spot, and makes the ideal pricking location - gives up a good bead of blood & never hurts! :p

G

·
I think wherever it's easiest for you - if lancing on the front gives a better bead of blood and isn't inordinately painful, go for it. I have a numb thumb that I use all the time - I sliced it badly many years ago & required eight or nine sutures to close the injury. It is now completely numb in that spot, and makes the ideal pricking location - gives up a good bead of blood & never hurts! :p
Maybe we should all try that. It certainly makes more sense than a lot of other invasive surgical practices. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm a side of the finger guy, but I find that some sides give off a better bead than other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts