The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

For several months now I've been dealing with my fingernails splitting and developing hangnails OUCH.Pretty frustraiting.

Could diabetes be the root cause, or am I missing something"supplement" from my diet? I've tried my wifes nail hardener, emery boards, clippers but can only go so low.

Anybody?

·
Registered
916 Posts
my nails are the same. Dry & they have ridges & split. Hangnails too.
what makes it worse for me is I have been a Nail tech/manicurist for the past 20 yrs :p.

Doc told me & I already knew , its from age. I am over the hill now :eek:hwell: my Mom & grandmom had the same type of nails.Neither of them had 'd'. My dads side of the family it was rampent.

I could put back on artificial nails if I wanted the hassle, but I don't. so I just keep them oiled & 'clip' the hangnails & file my natural nails short.

I also will use a ridge filling base coat/polish from time to time. doesn't stay on long. Chips right off.

just use some good oil. rub it in good & often..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I get hangnails so much that I keep the clippers right beside my easy chair & the laptop. My nails have always been like this - I was a nail-biter until I hit my teens & finally stopped chewing the nails off, but still can't leave the cuticles alone. If I don't get them clipped quickly, I'll tear 'em off with my teeth & we all know how that goes! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I've always had soft, splitting nails, and a friend introduced me to Nailtiques Nail Protein Forumla 2. It's awesome! (when I keep up with it.)

I get it at CVS but you can get it online or probably lots of places. Not cheap, but worth it if nails are a problem. I had tried everything.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I also have this problem with my nails. I'm wondering if using coconut oil on them at night, rubbed into the nails thoroughly at night, would work at all? Coconut oil seems to be so good for many other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts