The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finialy had a day of riding my bike and didn't have to eat the whole time. Makes me wonder how I will have to pay for such a nice day.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think type 1's can get away with not eating all day as long as they manage their insulin correctly. If I go 4-5 hours without food, I will get a liver dump.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Wow ... I miss getting deep into some activity and not having to stop and eat!

But I'm working on making a few days like that happen again. Glad you were able to do so, both for you, and because it gives me hope.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was nice because I usually have to stop every 30 minutes cause I am going low like in the 50's or lower. So today was nice. It will be one of those cherished moments. The truth is that I could only hope for a liver dump but it will never happen in my lifetime. But never the less it was really nice to ride for 20 miles and not have to stop to eat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think type 1's can get away with not eating all day as long as they manage their insulin correctly. If I go 4-5 hours without food, I will get a liver dump.
what is a liver dump?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It was nice because I usually have to stop every 30 minutes cause I am going low like in the 50's or lower. So today was nice. It will be one of those cherished moments. The truth is that I could only hope for a liver dump but it will never happen in my lifetime. But never the less it was really nice to ride for 20 miles and not have to stop to eat.
That's great!

I've found that I need to eat whenever I ride - preferably a little bit every 20-30 minutes, so I now just carry bars with me (Usually a peanut-based bar of some kind). I also use a 1/2 water, 1/2 accellerade drink mix in my water bottles. (Accellerade is somewhat like gatorade, but it's sucrose instead of glucose/fructose/hfcs and has a 4:1 carb/protein blend, so it's kinder to my system.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts