The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming down with a nasty ear-nose-throat cold, with added razor-scraper blades for my throat. Can't sleep well so I am getting out the Ambien Hammer tonight.

I know being sick makes your BG rise, and my base is gone from 100 or so to 135 all day. I had my usual 15-carb lunch (tuna/mayo on high fiber crackers) and got a 205 reading 90 minutes later. It eventually came down to 135 again. I ate no carbs with dinner and it is staying 135.

Besides eating no carbs, is there anything I can do? How high should my between-meals BG before call the doc? I'm thinking I can try to starve my liver out by eating no carbs at all for a few days. Any thoughts? Taking metformin 500x2.

My usual cold meds spike my sugar badly so I can't take them anymore.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
You can't "starve your liver" just by cutting carbs - you have to cut protein as well. Take two eggs with high-fat cheese, coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil and get lots of bed rest.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I was a regular with the colds/flu every time the weather changed. It was labelled as Bronchial allergy. I've been able to keep that ghost away with 2 pills (am/pm) of omega3/6/9 incl flaxseed & primrose oil.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Coming down with a nasty ear-nose-throat cold, with added razor-scraper blades for my throat. Can't sleep well so I am getting out the Ambien Hammer tonight.

I know being sick makes your BG rise,
Oh, I know that virus! ... spent three weeks with it. It was wicked.

I kept to my very low carb, high fat diet (moderate protein) and was pleasantly surprised that my BG was below 110 all the time, many times in the 80s and 90s. I had heard so many comments that illness raises BG that I was fully expecting it to be high. But it wasn't.

I know everyone is different, just wanted to share my experience.

My usual cold meds spike my sugar badly so I can't take them anymore.
There are sugar-free cough drops and cold meds. I used them, along with increasing Vit C and D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts