Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

First spike in months, and the cause is...

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  warrenh 
#1 · (Edited)
So called sugar free pudding.

I am pretty sure the added skim milk did it.

I haven't gone over 120 in months, and average in the 90's. I decided to try some sugar free jello pudding with skim milk, as it stated that one serving was only 8 carbs.....haha.

I had two servings, as I have been able to eat sugar free cookies with 18-20 carbs with no issues.

2 hour BG was 241,so I freaked and re-checked it, this time it was 289.

I was pretty upset. I ran farther today, had a great workout and haven't had issues for months.

My dinner was barbecue chicken, removing most of the skin, probably part of the cause. Salad with ranch dressing, only 2 carbs from the dressing and finally a few slices of extra sharp cheese, again only 2-4 carbs.

I had water and a diet dr pepper to drink, along with a 500 mg cinnamon capsule before the meal.

After taking the last BG reading, I immediately took another 500 mg cinnamon capsule, letting it disolve in my mouth.

Re-checked myBG 10 minutes later, it was 181, checked again another 10 minutes later, it was now only 114.

I have been very strict with my intake, I will not be trying this jello instant suar free pudding again. The interesting thing is, I can eat the already made sugar free pudding and maintain low BG.

Oh well, hopefully no damage from the spike. I feel great, and couldn't tell a thing until I saw the numbers. I still can't believe that some doctors, not mine, think cinnamon doesn't do anything.

Vent over.

See less See more
#2 ·
So called sugar free pudding.

I am pretty sure the added skim milk did it.

I haven't gone over 120 in months, and average in the 90's. I decided to try some sugar free jello pudding with skim milk, as it stated that one serving was only 8 carbs.....haha.
Wow, those are really big numbers. Skim milk should be like, 12 or so carbs in a cup. Interesting.

FWIW, I found some time ago, that the nutrition labels on Jello, nonfat instant pudding, and Walmart brand looked at lot alike, but when I ate the Jello brand, my numbers leapt pretty fast and higher than I would have thought. With the Walmart brand, and non-fat milk, I get almost no increase at all.

The lesson may be that we are all so different, that all we can do is offer our own experience, and maybe others can learn from it. Meanwhile, I have more than a few boxes of Jello brand pudding, just laying around :) I found that I can do even better, if I make it in cups that are only 2/3 pudding, and 1/3 lite, whipped topping, again, wally mart brand. If not for that chocolate fix that doesn't hit me too hard, I would be in bad shape, wandering, not knowing how to kill the chocolate cravings. :)

John

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I usually eat a couple of small scoops of carb smart ice cream, if I have a bad craving and that will put me in the 114-120 neighborhood. Most of the time I just have a big scoop of smuckers natural peanut butter, or something like that. Almost as good as chocolate too me.:)

I really think it was the skim milk, since 11 of the 12 the carbs are coming from sugar. That, and I had two servings. Funny thing, I can eat the jello chocolate pudding cups, with very little rise, if any. So far my biggest spiker has been anything with milk added to it. I should have just stayed away from the milk.

#4 ·
Yes Warren, lactose in milk products can cause a fast spike just like sugar (sucrose) and fructose in fruit. I avoid sugar and milk but I do eat a lot of fruit. Avoid products containing "high fructose corn syrup". That stuff is wicked but it is sometimes used as a sweetner. I have not used the Jello puddings from the powder in a box, for several years. I don't remember what they did to me. The pudding cups with 12 carbs from Jello are great and do not bother me. For chocolate cravings I also have a cup of Swiss Miss hot chocolate, 10 carbs. It does not bother me either. I do like the Carb Smart ice creams too. My favorite is butter pecan.

#5 ·
Yeah, I am done with milk.

The spike made me a little OCD with my BG. I haven't been over 104 on my meter over the last week, which reads high by 20+ sometimes. Averaging in the 80's now.

The spike did cause a blood vessel on the back of my left eye to leak, which upset me big time. On a good note, the only other cotton wool spot I have had was completely cleared up. Hopefully this one will very quickly.

I will also be much more careful with the experiments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.