The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still frustrated with my morning numbers. Woke up with a 120 this morning and then after a breakfast of just 2 eggs and a few strips of bacon, went up to a 135 after 90 minutes. I don't understand the spike because I cut out sugar-free jello from my breakfast after finding out it wasn't really sugar-free, and I just sprinkle a pinch of shredded mozzarella cheese and flax meal on top of the eggs.

I am wondering if maybe the flax has carbs I don't know about. Has anyone had any negative experiences with flax on your food? I sprinkle it on pretty much every thing I eat. :confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Flax usually doesn't cause trouble because it's totally fiber - 4g of carb per serving (2 tbsp/13g), but 4g of fiber too. I don't use flax meal very much, but I sprinkle whole flax seed on just about anything from my salads to the cheese crisps before I bake them.

Even my "brandi's breading" mixture - when I was running low one time, I dumped in some flax meal to stretch it, and that turned out okay too. Not an improvement that would prompt me to alter the recipe forever, but it didn't ruin the fried chicken. ;)

Have you checked your bacon? Is it sugar-cured, perhaps?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Flax usually doesn't cause trouble because it's totally fiber - 4g of carb per serving (2 tbsp/13g), but 4g of fiber too. I don't use flax meal very much, but I sprinkle whole flax seed on just about anything from my salads to the cheese crisps before I bake them.

Even my "brandi's breading" mixture - when I was running low one time, I dumped in some flax meal to stretch it, and that turned out okay too. Not an improvement that would prompt me to alter the recipe forever, but it didn't ruin the fried chicken. ;)

No, no sugar in the bacon at all. Does the way you cook something affect your bgs? I only use olive oil spray, so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! You're right, Shanny, I just looked at the label and the bacon AND the sausage I bought BOTH have sugar/dextrose added. Jeezaloo, I'm so not used to eating meat for breakfast that I didn't even consider it could have added sugar to it. Oh well, now I know - back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Fats and oils cannot spike our blood sugar. I've cooked bacon in skillets, in microwaves & in conventional ovens. I never use any additional oil for it, since it renders out enough fat all by itself, but olive oil doesn't cause spikes either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts