The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading Dr. Bernstein's book online and he said to use soy flour for baking, but I looked up baking flours and almond flour has less carbs and grams of sugar than soy flour. As much as he has dealt with food all these years, I'm sure he knows that almond flour exists, so I wonder if he recommends soy flour instead becase it is better for baking. Can one of you bakers tell me which is best? Or is there something better than these 2 flours that diabetics can use? I love to bake when I have the time.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I just finished reading Dr. Bernstein's book online and he said to use soy flour for baking, but I looked up baking flours and almond flour has less carbs and grams of sugar than soy flour. As much as he has dealt with food all these years, I'm sure he knows that almond flour exists, so I wonder if he recommends soy flour instead becase it is better for baking. Can one of you bakers tell me which is best? Or is there something better than these 2 flours that diabetics can use? I love to bake when I have the time.
Almond flour is great for lots of things, but it can't just be substituted equally for wheat flour, so for many purposes, soy flour prob'ly IS better for baking. I think there isn't any "best", I think it takes a combination of things. If you're looking for yeast bread answers, I don't have any - I've tried a few times, but haven't gotten the yeast thing figured out for low carb.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've used soy flour and almond flour. I dislike soy flour, especially the smell. The taste is okay. So, all things be equal, I'd rather just use almond flour!

I don't know if soy flour has additional nutritional benefits, but my personal experience didn't leave me to believe that it's better for baking, although it is much finer than most almond flours and so the texture is closer to wheat flour. There are very finely ground almond flours out there, but they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Soy flour is higher-protein, and possibly more readily available at the time Bernstein wrote about it. It does scorch quite easily. I used to use it in yeast breads combined with wheat flour and oats.

Almond flour is higher fat, and has absolutely leavening ability. I think soy might rise a LITTLE bit.

I would not substitute them directly in recipes, but I cook with almond AND coconut flour, now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I love coconut flour. The taste is great. It's very dry, though, and I find myself adding a lot of liquid just to stir the batter. Any tips?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I would love to hear some, too .... I use a lot of water and a lot of CO too and whatever I bake still has a dry-ish texture.

The brownies are da bomb, though -- and I am the only person who likes them here BWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts