The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since there are no replies to this post, I guess that means the answer is no. Guess I will go with whatever low-carb pancake, muffin, cookie, etc. mixes that can be found out there. It's a lot easier that way anyhow... :couch2:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think cup-for-cup substitution is prob'ly a little simplistic, since there is no gluten in almond flour to help the product rise. I don't do nearly as much baking as Jeanne does (that would be jwags :)), but I would add a little vital wheat gluten to add elasticity & hold a few wee air bubbles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't think there is a simple cup for cup equivalent that you can use in any recipe. It depends on what you are making.. the texture, moisture level, etc. Almond flour works cup to cup for some things but the moisture and fat levels are different so it won't work for everything without some adjustment to the recipe. I like to mix in vital wheat gluten (almost pure protein) and flax meal in things like carrot cake to improve the nutritional profile but that's not gonna work in shortbread. In shortbread I have to adjust the butter level because of the amount of fat in almond meal. When you use coconut flour you have to use more moisture as it sucks up alot of liquid. Oat fiber also tends to dry things out too much -but you can add a tablespoon or two to some recipes.
I'm not a master baker so I do best with a recipe someone else has perfected (search for what you want and specify low-carb). Sometimes I goof around with adjustments and additions until I either get what I want or something I can't eat. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It depends what you are baking. I have pretty good luck with cookies, waffles and muffins. But so far my breads come up flat. I usually use 1/2 almond meal and 1/2 golden flaxseed meal. For my pancakes and waffles I use 1/2 vanilla whey powder and 1/2 flaxseed. For my donuts I use all vanilla whey powder. For my biscuits I use coconut flour. I like to check out online recipe sites to get an idea for a recipe and then I tweak it. Also Dana Carpender has some fantastic low carb cookbooks. She has tons of baked goods recipes. Also sometimes you have to mix sweetners to get the texture right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.