The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

Wondering what your thoughts are about the annual Flu vaccine against influenza & the Pneumovax against pneumonia (given every 5 yrs). Thanks

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Entirely personal view - not to be considered a recommendation :)

I live in a rural area, opportunities for infection: low. So I don't use the offer of an annual injection that can sometimes do as much harm as the flu itself.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I've never taken the flu shot. But I did get the pneumonia one because, for me, URI's usually turn into bronchitis, and I'm getting older.

I am not around children or many people, for that matter, so my exposure is low, also.

·
Banned
563 Posts
I got the flu shot, got the flu, and pneumonia. So do I still get the flu shot? Hell yes! That year they missed the virus that brought me down. But most years they get it right. And I never want to be that sick again.

I got the pneumovax for the first time this year. I felt punky for about 24 hours and my arm hurt a lot. But it beats weeks of downtime or dying!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I haven't had the flu shot in years. I live alone in a rural area and see very few people. (I'm one of those people that wipe the shopping cart down with a towelette.) I did get the pneumonia shot though and I may actually be due for another. Will check with my PCP in Dec.

·
Banned
563 Posts
I hope the people who think they don't need a flu shot because they live in a rural area aren't expecting visits from grandchildren on Thanksgiving and over the Christmas holidays. Kids are little cesspools of germs and all it takes is one swipe across the nose before touching Grandma or something Grandma is going to touch to "share the love".

Diabetes and influenza is a REALLY bad combination.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Based upon personal experience: The last time I didn't have a flu vaccine was the last time I contracted flu. It was horrible. And I am not a whiner/pushover. So now I have a flu shot every year.

I also had a pneumonia vaccine this year for the first time, and I am in my 40's.

My insurance pays for all flu shots free of charge. It also pays for the pneumonia shot for me because I am Type 1.

Hi Folks

Wondering what your thoughts are about the annual Flu vaccine against influenza & the Pneumovax against pneumonia (given every 5 yrs). Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
My dad was in the air force, so I had no choice but to take them flu shots amongst others. They used live virus back then and I would get sick with the flu shot and then sick with the flu. After moving out on my own I quit taking them and maybe I'd get the flu and maybe I wouldn't. After getting married and the swine flu scare first started, I took a Swine flue shot. I don't think I had a sniffle for 3 years after that. I took a flu shot at my wife's insistence after that for a few years. Maybe I'd get it maybe I wouldn't. I finally said no more.

I live in a rural area, closest neighbors are all our kids and grandkids and I see them a lot, so the holiday thing doesn't bother me the least bit.

Risks vs benefits, I'll be my own judge and right now my mind is made up.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Nope, no little ones around here, they are all in CA. Probably not until next June when I go there for a visit. I haven't had a flu shot in over 20 years and have never had the flu either. It is a risk I'm willing to take.

I hope the people who think they don't need a flu shot because they live in a rural area aren't expecting visits from grandchildren on Thanksgiving and over the Christmas holidays. Kids are little cesspools of germs and all it takes is one swipe across the nose before touching Grandma or something Grandma is going to touch to "share the love".

Diabetes and influenza is a REALLY bad combination.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've had the flu shot each year for over ten years now. I get it in order to protect those in the community who might be immune compromised. I know it doesn't protect 100%, but I've also only had a flu-like illness once in that decade, so I like those odds. Herd immunity!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also live in a rural area but won't take the chance of not getting a flu shot. Too many chances of infection here at church,for one.

Reactions: Nanlou1964

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I am the classic definition of a hermit. I live alone, I go out 2 times a week to the PO and one of those times I go to the grocery store. I wipe everything down with antibacterial towelettes. Every 3 months I see my Oncologist and every 6 months I see my PCP, the rest of the time I am at home. I have lots of problems with my back that don't allow me to be out and about a lot. I do most of my shopping online. I don't feel I am a risk to my community or to myself by not opting to take a shot that could have more bad effects by taking it than not. JMO. I honestly can't remember the last time I had the flu.

I've had the flu shot each year for over ten years now. I get it in order to protect those in the community who might be immune compromised. I know it doesn't protect 100%, but I've also only had a flu-like illness once in that decade, so I like those odds. Herd immunity!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Every time I had a flu shot, I got sick afterwards. The last time that happened, my doctor recommended that I stop getting them. That was 20 years ago. I've gotten the flu only once since then, and even that one was mild. I don't know about herd immunity; last year some kind of bug swept through my workplace and decimated my department, all I got was a case of the sniffles for a couple of days.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can't remember that we've EVER gotten the flu, but during the years I was still working outside of home, I usually caught a cold or two which sometimes developed into bronchitis, and more rarely required antibiotics to zap it.

When OWC's dad was alive, he always called the family home for Thanksgiving dinner & vaccinated everyone for flu at that time. He was a GP in St. Louis. We didn't argue & neither of us ever had any repercussions either. Since his death our inoculations have been spotty, although since OWC's heart attack he gets one whether he needs it or not, and we've both had the pneumonia vaccine.

Barbara? I have to laugh at your hermit description, because for many years our email, facebook & other user names has been 'We.Be.Hermits'. And we're getting worse the older we get . . . we can have a grocery list as long as your arm, and still sit here and procrastinate for days. Once we get out among 'em, we're fine, but getting our butts to the car and actually driving away is always a major ordeal.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I haven't gotten a flu shot in many years because I always got sick afterwards, have kids, and won't get it again. Too many risks with it. I'd rather take moderate precautions to keep myself and our family healthy while not getting shots that may only offer little protection.

I'm biased, though - I am not a fan of too many vacations, many of which are probably unneeded. Funny thing - I was actually comparing my immunization record to my son's. I had a total of seven, which was standard at the time I was born. I compared it to my son's at the same age. He had been getting the standard recommended ones and had seventeen by the same age!

He did horribly bad after one, which is why he never had any after that. Thought he was going to have to be hospitalized, his reaction was so bad. :(

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Well ... when I have had a handful compared to my son at his age, I have to wonder!! :) Quite honestly, I never had the vaccines that the kids get nowadays (the ones we never got) and I've never contracted any of those diseases. Sometimes you just have to wonder, imo, that's all. :)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
LOL Shanny! Are we related? Or is it age related??? I have to force myself to go out today and do some grocery shopping. I am almost out of HWC and that is what is getting me of my b***, I've been procrastinating since last week. I see the Ophthalmologist next week and my Oncologist the week after. I will do all my Christmas shopping on those two days and will not be going up to town again until 2015 sometime!! :D

Barbara? I have to laugh at your hermit description, because for many years our email, facebook & other user names has been 'We.Be.Hermits'. And we're getting worse the older we get . . . we can have a grocery list as long as your arm, and still sit here and procrastinate for days. Once we get out among 'em, we're fine, but getting our butts to the car and actually driving away is always a major ordeal.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
I'm getting 2 vacations in December. If Mary wants to skip hers and give it to me, it may be too many, but I'm willing to take it and suffer through it.

Pat 6 would be too many, not enough time in a month to get them all in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts