The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a hassle flying with a pump, I never had problems with my syringes and supplies......just curious

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it a hassle flying with a pump, I never had problems with my syringes and supplies......just curious
I am curious to see who if anyone answers this question. My husband and I went on our belated honeymoon (about two years ago) and it was the first time he had ever flown. We did not know much about how to fly with his insulin pump.

He just tried to tell them that he was wearing one and then they pulled him to the side and patted him every which way to Sunday and also said he was the "random" person every time as well checking his hands for explosives etc. We had his supplies in a case and they took off with it for awhile and disappeared which made me nervous. Also because they wouldn't let me follow and stand next to him. I was left to run after both our stuff on the conveyer belt.

That being said, we think perhaps it would have gone smoother had he spoken to someone who had flown with a pump. We thought perhaps had he taken off his pump and put it in his insulin case he could have perhaps gone straight through to the other side and then collected his supplies when they brought them back. Dunno.

Was like no one had ever seen an insulin pump before.

Definitely would like to hear what other people's strategies have been. There has got to be an easier way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hopefully since we flew two years ago, it has become more routine for them to see insulin pumps come through the line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks annsrum, sounds like a lot of hassle, we travel south every year and this is one question that I needed answered before I decide on using the pump or not

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks annsrum, sounds like a lot of hassle, we travel south every year and this is one question that I needed answered before I decide on using the pump or not
WHOA! I wouldn't skip using the pump for this reason though! My husband said the pump changed his life. He said he cannot even imagine going back to the ways things were before. He LOVES his pump. His control has greatly increased since he got the pump. Definitely do not skip the pump for travel reasons. That is what like maybe once a year inconvenience compared to the every day loveliness that is the pump!

I just think maybe there is an easier way to get through security, but DEFINITELY don't let that stop you from getting a pump!!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Flying with a pump gives you preferential treatment. The pat down is no big deal and you go strait to the front of the line. I didn't have any trouble what so ever. Only took me 30 minutes to go thru security and get myself dressed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never had a problem flying with my pump. Now that being said I have never flown in or out of the country. I just let security know I have a pump and that it can't go through an x-ray. They have always just said "ok". That has been at major international airports (Boston and Atlanta). I didn't have anymore or less hassle than everyone else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I traveled a few years ago from Vilnius, Lithuania to Rome, Italy and back. I made no mention of my insulin pump whatsoever unless I was asked about it (same with any other security check). My Accu-Check spirit pump does not catch onto a metal detector and since I don't take it off it does not go through any X-ray that might be able to damage it. Usually I have it on my belt in a holder which doesn't look much unlike a cellphone. If searched and asked I explain that that is an insulin pump and that I cannot do without it. But as I recall correctly no one was too interested in my insulin pump either in our Airport or in Rome. America might have more strict security personnel though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went to Mexico with my pump. At every single airport, whether or not it was American, I had my bags rifled through and got a rough pat down. My doctor had given me a note to give to each airport and that didn't seem to matter--having syringes and vials and pump supplies in my carry-on bag as well as having an electronic piece of equipment (my pump) that I wouldn't allow them to x-ray made them treat me worse. I forget which airline I was flying with, but all four airports treated me like a potential criminal. However, I wouldn't have let this experience make me not take my pump. The freedoms a diabetic has with a pump compared to using syringes are too great to give up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never had a problem at all flying with my pump. I have always gotten waved through and all the security personnel seemed to know exactly what it was and did not ask any addition questions about it.

Well, one of them almost did. The last time I flew, after I took my belt to run it through the x-ray, I had to clip my pump to my t-shirt collar so it wouldn't fall. I walked through the sensors and Guard #1 saw it and started to wave me to the side. I guess he didn't know what it was. Thankfully, Guard #2 did and told the other guy that it was OK and waved me right through.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always considered those things you walk through as XRays too, am I wrong

·
Registered
126 Posts
I lived in Europe for a long time and used to have a job where I flew out every week for about two years. I started with a Cozmo pump and on the odd occasion people stopped me, they insisted on a pat down. For some reason now ever since I have a pink Minimed they barely worry too muc. They usually think Ive left my mobile phone is my pocket. ha ha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts