The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just have to share about my health improvement using the FODMAPS diet for the last 3 months. No asthma, reduced gastrointestinal issues, weight loss 6 kgs and improved BSL scores!

It takes a while to work out my dietitian has melded a diabetic diet with this and it has been trial and error. On track now.

Rhyl
Adelaide South Australia:cool2:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Because I'd never heard of this, I had to go look it up. For those that don't know, here's what I found:

Someplace on the 'Net said:
Definition:

FODMAPs is an acronym that stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides, and Polyols. This term was coined by a group of researchers who theorize that foods that contain these forms of carbohydrates exacerbate the symptoms of some digestive disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Good news for you, congratulations. I may have to look into this more, especially if it helps with metformin side effects... =)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Mep may be interested in talking to you . . . she began this regimen just this week. It's good that your dietitian has been able to work with you in finding a successful diet for your diabetes and your gastric issues also.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi

I just have to share about my health improvement using the FODMAPS diet for the last 3 months. No asthma, reduced gastrointestinal issues, weight loss 6 kgs and improved BSL scores!

It takes a while to work out my dietitian has melded a diabetic diet with this and it has been trial and error. On track now.

Rhyl
Adelaide South Australia:cool2:
Hello and :welcome: Great that you found a diet that suits you and your diabetes. What type of diabetes do you have and how do you manage your diabetes? I hope you will visit often and take care.

Reactions: Dodie37737
G

·
hi rhylb and welcome to forum. :) I'm very interested to hear your experience with what foods worked well and what didn't. I just started FODMAP diet this week on request from my gastroenterologist. I have been told to do this diet for 8 weeks. Although I did visit dietitician who is part of the diabetic clinic I attend (where my endo is too) and she basically handed me list from Sue Shepherds website which had some variations to what gastro's info told me FODMAP was. I was also advised that FODMAP isn't a good diet for diabetics to follow by the dietitician and she said I could have a hard time controlling BGLs. Now so far this week my personal experience has been that my BGLs seem to not have a pattern as they normallly do for me.... eg. start low & work my way to higher BGL throughout the day. Yesterday though I got diagnosed as having candida glabrata infection so now on treatment for that. On FODMAP though I was told only to exclude all fructans by gastro... but dietitician has recommended I also exclude lactose as it's part of the original FODMAP diet. So I've switched to soy milk this week. Would love to hear what is working well re: foods though for you. What diabetes do you have? are you insulin dependant at all?
For those who don't know who Sue Shepherd is... apparently she is the guru (according to my dietitician) who came up with this FODMAP diet. There's lots of information available from the following link: About Sue Shepherd | Shepherd Works

G

·
ps... so far I've had mainly rice & oats as my main source of carbs. I have had a bit of corn and some potato... but minimal. I've been eating more fruit than usual as not sure what else to eat at this stage (eg. for snack)... but only the allowed fruit of course. There also appears to be different opinions floating about about what's allowed, not allowed. I've seen that soy milk is allowed and in some other material, it's not allowed. The hard copy material I have from both gastro & Sue Shepherd doesn't say you can't have soy milk... so I'm assuming it's Ok to have as dairy replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re FODMAPS diet

Hi,

Here's what I've found with trial and error. I have cut out lactose so have hard cheese, and lactose free milk and low-fat lactose free cream.
I have cut out all wheat rye and eat gluten free carbs, corn crackers, spelt bread, no grains - multigrains. I have IBS and already had limited my spicy food, no onions, garlic, spices, no raw fruit and limited salad veg. So I follow Sue Shepherd's diet with carbs to help with my diabetes. I have been ill for three years with respitory infections and had to take steroids which made my BSL's get up to 18-19. On this diet my morning readings are 6-7 and night 7-9.

I feel so much better you need to work with your dietitian and try out the program.
Regards
Rhyl

G

·
Thanks Rhyl
I've been sick with lots of infections for 4 years now... mainly uti's and kidney for most of them. I also have undiagnosed gastrointestinal problem which hopefully I will have answer by March. I've been warned already that if I still have symptoms after this diet, I will be diagnosed with IBS. I haven't noticed much difference as yet with my BGLs... although I can say yesterday it did look better in the afternoon... but then not so good in evening at 9.7. I usually get good BGLs in the morning thanks to Lantus. I will try that spelt bread as I recently heard about that on TV... sounds like a good alternative to wheat.
So are you planning to stay on the FODMAP diet longterm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts