The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As a parent I barely had control over my own kids I can't believe doing that to other parent's kids. It's like any other thing that you forbid or ban you're just going to make them want more. I wonder how many of these same parents go to the grocery store and buy pop, cookies, chips and lots of processed food.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Aren't these parents also interfering with the store owner's right to sell various items from his store? My kids always rode the school bus, but even then they shared "goodies" that other kids had in their lunches packed from home.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Some schools no longer allow kids to carry their lunch to school, others remove things like bologna and peanut butter sandwiches from their home-lunches and replace them with who knows what. I also read an article where in Michelle Obama's new healthy school lunch program, the schools are receiving things like raw turnips and raw asparagus, which of course the kids can't eat, so it all ends up in the trash. The whole thing is crazy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some schools no longer allow kids to carry their lunch to school, others remove things like bologna and peanut butter sandwiches from their home-lunches and replace them with who knows what. I also read an article where in Michelle Obama's new healthy school lunch program, the schools are receiving things like raw turnips and raw asparagus, which of course the kids can't eat, so it all ends up in the trash. The whole thing is crazy.
I agree. What if the child has a food allergy or food intolerance and he or she can only eat certain foods. What right does a school have to decide what a child should eat or not eat? While I agree that kids need to learn healthy eating habits from the beginning, policing what they eat is not the answer. Having more healthy and a greater variety of healthy options is the answer. Not selling junk foods in vending machines at the schools would be a great place to start, but deciding what a kid brings from home is not right.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see to many school's that has a tuck shop right next door!!! A Tuck shop is basically a milk bar where junk foods are sold.

I haven't seen a school that don't have a tuck shop near by. There are canteens also that has unhealthy foods at outrageous prices!!!

How many parents cut lunch for their kids as it's far too easy to give them money for their lunch.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
LA kids get sushi
LA schools ban flavored milk and foods such as hot and spicy chicken chunks and beef steak fingers in gravy... and opt for sushi, spinach tortellini in butternut squash sauce, along with many ethnic foods.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Jamie Oliver

Has anyone seen Jamie's food reverlotion?? As he go's around various schools in the US to educate kids about nutrition. Not without red tape as authorities make things tough for him.

As a school you may think that they should get some idea of what's good for you to eat. Not just the maths & English. Here in Australia we have schools that have their own vegetable garden at school!!! Even chickens. :eek::eek: Fresh eggs anyone?? :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've heard about Jamie's revolution, but haven't seen much - our tv is still off. I can catch the videos on internet after the fact.

Has anyone seen Jamie's food reverlotion?? As he go's around various schools in the US to educate kids about nutrition. Not without red tape as authorities make things tough for him.

As a school you may think that they should get some idea of what's good for you to eat. Not just the maths & English. Here in Australia we have schools that have their own vegetable garden at school!!! Even chickens. :eek::eek: Fresh eggs anyone?? :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm 67, and when I was in school, lunch consisted of meat, a starch, a vegetable, a slice of bread & butter, fruit and milk. Somewhere along the line they switched to serving hot dogs & pizza. It makes sense to me to go back to the old lunch menus instead of trying to force kids to eat salad bar & raw fish. Maybe I am out of touch, but I don't think many kids would eat sushi.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When I worked in school lunch, we served pizza too, but we made it ourselves from the ground up. The bakers got cranked up about 5am to make the crusts from scratch; by the time the rest of the crew arrived at 7am, there were enough crusts rolled out (on 18x13 pans) for people to start assembling - one pouring measured amount of made-from-scratch sauce, next one brushing it around on the crust, next one sprinkling measured amount of cheese (usually a mixture of cheddar & mozzarella), next ones placing pepperoni slices & whatever olives or other ingredients were called for that day. Bakers fed 'em into the ovens as they came off the assembly table & by serving time, we'd have several dozen huge pizzas ready to cut. I think we got 24 pieces to a pan & it was thick heavy pizza.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(DROOL!) -- nothing in our school lunches appears to have been made on premises -- all the entrees come wrapped in PLASTIC. Tuck.

I gotta say though, Shanny -- my first reading, apropos of school lunches -- you made them from the ground up WHAT?:rolleyes::p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pizza!!! Gawd, When I was at school there were no pizzas then so it's no wonder kids are fat!!!
I can remember the o'l Sunny Boys. They were like orange ice blocks. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts