The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just diagnosed from type 2 to a type 1. I am very good when it comes to my diet but I can't seem to keep my numbers consistent. Should I drop my carbs down and add a snack between meals ?

G

·
welcome Steve :) you probably need to experiment a bit with your diet. I take it that you weren't on insulin previously? Being on insulin does make it a bit hard to try and even things out. It depends what you're doing. I'm on insulin, but I'm on a sliding scale rather than measuring units per carb ratio. I'm not sure how much carbs and what type you're eating... but it would be a good idea to limit your carb intake. I personally do eat carbs with every meal and snack but I keep it small. I stick to low GI carbs also. Everyone is different, so it's really trial and error to find what works for you. Just make sure you carry quick acting and low acting carbs with you at all times now that you're on insulin. I've had more hypos since being on insulin. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Others here who are in fact type 1's may be able to give more advice to help you along. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback, no, I was not on insulin before but am now, and I to use the sliding scale. When you say limit my carbs, by how much? I currently stick to the book rule of 45 to 60 grams per meal, should I replace them with more protein or just reduce my portions until my numbers level off?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Sliding scale is old hat. You might want to look into some books like Using Insulin and Think Like A Pancreas.

Welcome to our exclusive little club.

My finding has been that adding fat helps. I try not to snack, am in fact eating 2 meals a day in order to minimize stacking dosees of insulin.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Steve-o! :welcome:

What Foxl said!

Sliding scale did diddly for me. I found I had to adjust my boluses to account for carbs, instead. Plus, I had to cut my carbs waaayyy down, and cut out the rice/pasta/bread/potatoes.

I don't count calories, and I do eat healthy fats like real butter, real cream, real cheese and real mayo. "Low-fat" and "lite" versions of those fodos are often chock-full of carbs and sugar.

(I'm still working out the best calcs for timing my boluses and counting carbs in unlabeled foods. Even so, I'm getting far better results this way.)

Most important thing is to test. A lot. I test before a meal to see where I'm at. For new foods and situations, I test 1 hour after the first bite, then 1 more hour after that.

Hopefully, your doc or diabetes educator can get you started on figuring out the bolus ratio that works for you. And the books Foxl cited will definitely help you fine-tune on your own.

OnlyMep's diet, above, is about 180 degrees apart from mine. We diabetics are all different, so both of us are right! :)

Glad you found us! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...my first question is what the heck is bolus? Lol.. I test before a meal and 2 hours after, my insurance isn't the best so I am trying to keep the costs down when it comes to all my med needs. Has anyone found cheaper suppliers? I tested this morning and I was 127, I ate breakfast which consist of scrambled eggs,1 slice of wheat toast,3 cubes of cantelope, watermelon and honey dew and a small glass of skim milk. When it tested 2 hours later I was 224! This is driving me insane bouncing all over the chart. So you guys know my pancreas does not produce at all anymore so I'm wondering if the sliding scale is right for me or should I just test before each meal and not test every 2 hours?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Ok...my first question is what the heck is bolus? Lol.. I test before a meal and 2 hours after, my insurance isn't the best so I am trying to keep the costs down when it comes to all my med needs. Has anyone found cheaper suppliers? I tested this morning and I was 127, I ate breakfast which consist of scrambled eggs,1 slice of wheat toast,3 cubes of cantelope, watermelon and honey dew and a small glass of skim milk. When it tested 2 hours later I was 224! This is driving me insane bouncing all over the chart. So you guys know my pancreas does not produce at all anymore so I'm wondering if the sliding scale is right for me or should I just test before each meal and not test every 2 hours?
You use two different kinds of insulin, right? One long-acting & the quicker acting?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes,humalog and lantus at night.
Okay, the humalog is your BOLUS insulin, and you should use it at mealtime. Did you do an injection when you ate breakfast today?

The lantus is your BASAL insulin. It works in the background, but it isn't meant to cover meals.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No, because my number was good and using the sliding scale it says not too.
As others have told you, the sliding scale isn't very effective. I don't use insulin, so the others are going to have to take the floor & discuss the finer points of this, but you had a very carby meal with all the melon, milk & toast, so you really should have had humalog to keep you from shooting up to 224.

G

·
oh I probably should be more clear about what I do... I've been told to take a certain amount of units with each meal (sometimes includes snacks). So I start off with 7 units with b/fast, then 11 units for lunch, then 12 units for dinner. Now that pretty much works for me when I'm feeling 100%. I always take my bolus and basal insulin dosages, I don't skip anything. I'm following my endo's instructions after discussions with him. I'm allowed to increase my bolus if I need to, but I'm not allowed to touch my basal dosage as my endo thinks it's right for me at the moment (and I agree with him). I guess you need to find what works best for you. Every diabetic is different in how they manage their condition. What works for some, may not work for others. :D I hope this makes sense and helps some.
ps... melon may not be the best for you... and with toast it depends on what sort of bread you're using (white is no good). Skim milk has even more sugar than the full cream milk.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sorry, Steve-o. First time Shanny mentioned "bolus," I didn't know what she was talking about, either. Diabetes education can be spotty. Her explanation is spot on.

Diabetes is very complex. It demands self-management. And every diabetic is different. Pros cannot manage it for us; that's gotta be frustrating for them!

When I was diagnosed, I was taught to use the sliding scale and eat plenty of carbs. Since then, I've been told that docs tend to start us off "easy" so we don't get too upset. But keeping in the high 200s, with frequent spikes in the 300s, upset me mightily. Ultimately, truth is the best way to avoid upset. (Damage occurs at levels of 140 and over.)

So, yeah, perhaps for expediency's sake they must start us off with an "easy" regime -- and maybe it does work for some diabetics. But they really should encourage us to explore, to learn what works best for us. Instead, they discouraged me from trying. Urged me to keep on doing what had already failed. Only by being persistent (and by finding this Forum and some additional resources) was I able to get off the treadmill.

You will find plenty of info and support here! It may help to use the "Search" box above to look up posts on Humalog, bolus and carbs ... or whatever else strikes your fancy!

I highly recommend the Recipes board.

Best of luck to both of us!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
yes, I sure do... as I'm taking the insulin for the food I'm about to eat.
Me too! I must bolus if I'm eating anything with countable carbs ... including avocados, I've just learned. :(

Your requirements may be looser (I sure hope so!). Testing before and after meals is the only way to find out, and to keep good levels, pain though that is, especially at first.

G

·
Me too! I must bolus if I'm eating anything with countable carbs ... including avocados, I've just learned. :(

Your requirements may be looser (I sure hope so!). Testing before and after meals is the only way to find out, and to keep good levels, pain though that is, especially at first.
well I test very regularly... I've had diabetes 13 years now and I think what I've learnt most is to not stress over numbers. I pretty much know what I can and can't handle... that comes with experience. I tried the no carb and very low carb thing and couldn't cope with that at all... was really sick. I'm relatively new at insulin (just over a year now) but I'm finding what endo has told me to do is working mostly. What I do get annoyed with is things outside my control which I've had a lot of lately. :( When you first get diagnosed your focus is all around your food and exercise... you rarely get told about other stuff. I was really appreciative of my endo explaining things properly for me.... eg. how are you feeling? how are you sleeping? do you get sickness or pain? etc... all that stuff impacts your BGLs. Boy have I learnt that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See that makes more sense to me because using the sliding scale it's like trying to corral the horses after they get out of the pin. The biggest problem I have is I travel A LOT for work and hotels and resturants haven't taken us diabetics into their menus yet and we all know the refrigerators don't hold much. Cooking my meals is out of the question unless I'm at home, which isn't often.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
See that makes more sense to me because using the sliding scale it's like trying to corral the horses after they get out of the pin. The biggest problem I have is I travel A LOT for work and hotels and restaurants haven't taken us diabetics into their menus yet and we all know the refrigerators don't hold much. Cooking my meals is out of the question unless I'm at home, which isn't often.
Oh, yeah. The restaurant thing is huuuge! I got diagnosed right in the middle of a bunch of social and volunteer obligations that all involved eating out. AAAARRGHHHH!

I think the mostly-vegetarian potluck was the worst. A veritable sea of beans and rice and crackers and bread. Two weeks post-diagnosis. But I digress.

Don't know if there's a feasible way you can look up eateries in advance. Do you have an iPad, or netbook, or something like that? Most eateries have menus online, even the local places. Of course, most of the menus feature side dishes that just won't work. I'm just now developing the habit of calling 'em up in advance to ask about substitutions.

I also use a diet book that shows the carbs for many foods and chain establishments. The one I use is at CalorieKing.com. (Lots of online info there, too.) And there are others as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Shalynne said:
Oh, yeah. The restaurant thing is huuuge! I got diagnosed right in the middle of a bunch of social and volunteer obligations that all involved eating out. AAAARRGHHHH!

I think the mostly-vegetarian potluck was the worst. A veritable sea of beans and rice and crackers and bread. Two weeks post-diagnosis. But I digress.

Don't know if there's a feasible way you can look up eateries in advance. Do you have an iPad, or netbook, or something like that? Most eateries have menus online, even the local places. Of course, most of the menus feature side dishes that just won't work. I'm just now developing the habit of calling 'em up in advance to ask about substitutions.

I also use a diet book that shows the carbs for many foods and chain establishments. The one I use. (Lots of online info there, too.) And there are others as well.
Traveling and having to eat out all the time scares me. Like today at restaurant with family had brunch with eggs and white bagel and next thing I am over 10 which sent me immediately to the stationary bike for half an hour to burn off and get back down to below 6

1 - 20 of 26 Posts