The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Metformin,

I recently discovered that you are also given to women who have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome to help them ovulate. While I appreciate that, I do not appreciate the way you are making me ovulate, have very sore breasts and a delayed period. I am not pregnant and yes you made me test! I also have "morning" sickness and have had since starting to take you. Please just help me control my blood sugar but not get pregnant! That is all.

Thank you!
Jenn

Okay ladies, have any of you experienced this while on metformin? I had no trouble getting pregnant with my two kids but now I am wondering how because I never knew when I ovulated before. Trust me, I knew this month. I have never seen so much cervical mucus. And my breasts have been sore since then. I feel like a walking science experiment and would rather be giving birth in about 8 months that trying to figure out WTH is going on with my body.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
O Jenn - so sorry. I was long past menopause when my diabetes developed, so have nothing to offer, except that if this had happened to me at age 64, I'd have been ready for a padded cell . . . :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dear Metformin,

I recently discovered that you are also given to women who have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome to help them ovulate. While I appreciate that, I do not appreciate the way you are making me ovulate, have very sore breasts and a delayed period. I am not pregnant and yes you made me test! I also have "morning" sickness and have had since starting to take you. Please just help me control my blood sugar but not get pregnant! That is all.

Thank you!
Jenn

Okay ladies, have any of you experienced this while on metformin? I had no trouble getting pregnant with my two kids but now I am wondering how because I never knew when I ovulated before. Trust me, I knew this month. I have never seen so much cervical mucus. And my breasts have been sore since then. I feel like a walking science experiment and would rather be giving birth in about 8 months that trying to figure out WTH is going on with my body.
Sorry to hear you're having such a problem.
How old are you?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 36. Will be 37 in October.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was post menopausal also when I started metformin so never had those problems. People with PCOS are usually Insulin Resistant that is why they are given Metformin. It also works on some of their other symptoms. I guess ovulation is one of them. I would talk to your doctor about it. I remember when I was younger I was a super ovulator and always knew the time of month I was ovulating to the day.

·
Registered
718 Posts
OH my, that doesn't sounds pleasant at all!

I took Metformin b/c I had PCOS, and I was trying to get pregnant... however I never had those symptoms. I know as I've gotten older I have been able to tell when I was ovulating more easily. But I haven't been on Met for years and years... Though I was on Actos/Met for a couple weeks and got pregnant... not sure if the meds gave us that extra boost or if we did it on our own LOL...

I'm sorry! The low-carb diet alone can boost fertility and give you more symptoms... carbs suppress the hormone system in all kinds of ways...so that combined with the medication are probably giving you a hormone hurricane. Not fun!

My MIL did Atkins, got her period after having gone through menopause five years earlier. She immediately stopped the low-carb diet because she was terrified she was going to get pregnant in her late 50s!

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Finally, a reason to be thankful for my early menopause, aged 36 :D

Reactions: thisstinks

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH my, that doesn't sounds pleasant at all!

I took Metformin b/c I had PCOS, and I was trying to get pregnant... however I never had those symptoms. I know as I've gotten older I have been able to tell when I was ovulating more easily. But I haven't been on Met for years and years... Though I was on Actos/Met for a couple weeks and got pregnant... not sure if the meds gave us that extra boost or if we did it on our own LOL...

I'm sorry! The low-carb diet alone can boost fertility and give you more symptoms... carbs suppress the hormone system in all kinds of ways...so that combined with the medication are probably giving you a hormone hurricane. Not fun!

My MIL did Atkins, got her period after having gone through menopause five years earlier. She immediately stopped the low-carb diet because she was terrified she was going to get pregnant in her late 50s!
Thank you wdmama! This was very helpful. It probably is all the changes I have subjected my body to in the past 6 weeks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My last daughter was a surprise baby, born when I was almost 39. She is now the joy of my life, but was quite a surprise.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got my period. WOO HOO!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts