1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It never ceases to amaze me how much information and support is
out there and at your finger tips thanks to the web sites and Forum
sites, for Baby Boomers, Kids, Seniors, Teens, Parents and other
Family Members when it comes to Diabetes.

Although, the avalanche of sites can be overwhelming, I found it
Best to choose more reputable/respected sites since they have first
dibs on new Diabetes info and are of authority and hopefully Good
conscience.

We just had our Family Dr. whom, I do give credit to. Great Guy. He
did his Best considering Diabetes wasn't "in style" back when I was a
Kid living with it in my hometown.

Yes, I look pretty Good in green(with envy). ;) j/k I'm thrilled that they
have all this info. Hopefully, it makes Life a lot less confusing for Kids
and Teens(since their lives are usually topsy-turvy)while they grow to
maturity. Unfortunately, Life is not always fair. :rolleyes:

For Teens : Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International

Diabetes. Your Body. BAM! Body and Mind

NDEP | Tips for Teens with Diabetes: What is Diabetes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Emma(4,5 of age) find this one in a middle most interesting,because of live colours and interesting drowings...Off course I had to traslate all that on serbian,but she like to hang with her dad(me),so she learn a lot from WEB....Me too!
Greatfull dad :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm Glad that Emma enjoyed the site Nenad. Children are so precious. :) I do hope that your Wife and Emma fair very well with the ups and downs of Diabetes. Welcome! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
It metters to me if I can explain to 4 year old child what it is diabetes,why is she little different than the other children,and not yet at all differant than the other children,at all other child things....It is very hard when we have to take her on same birthday party,with cake and cookes...
So,I think that education from younger years is precious as possible prevention of latter complications....
If you find something with nice drawings and noisy colours,please post it...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Nenad: :)

That is an interesting question that you have there. I was diagnosed 47 years ago at age 3. I wasn't told that I had Diabetes until I was 6 but I didn't understand. My 2 older Brothers also had Type 1 since age 4, so I thought every other Child had it also....until I was about 8. At that time, not much was known about Diabetes in our area. No one else had it that we knew of. As you know Children do not understand as Adults do. Most think they are invincible. Aside from that, most Children are surprisingly resilient and can usually withstand sugars that sometimes go high.

My Brothers and I were not allowed to accept Birthday invitations, go to parties, or out for Hallowe'en, etc. until we were age 13 because of all the sweets at these events. My Mom was afraid for Good reason.

If my Child had Diabetes, I would tell her that she should only eat 2 pieces of Hallowe'en or Christmas candy(if you celebrate that)a day or a small piece of cake or pie at parties. If she was told, "No candy, she would probably sneak it anyways when she was a bit older. She might, even so. I would also tell her that sugary foods and more bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, etc. than she is allowed will make her sick and feel very bad.

I would tell her that a small organ in her body does not work, like it does in other Children. It's not anyone's fault. But if she eats the proper foods most of the time, exercises and so on, she will be able to have a Good Life, grow up to be a Scientist to discover a cure for Diabetes or be a Dr. to help other Children with Diabetes(no pressure there ;) )and to get married and have a Family of her own.

She may be even healthier than her Friends, if she eats properly. She is the same as other Children except her body doesn't like sugar because her pancreas doesn't make the hormone Insulin to get rid of sugar and carbohydrates from her body, that are found in some foods.

There are sites on the net that sell low calorie and sugarless candy and foods. Perhaps you have similar stores in your city or town.

You know Nenad, this is just one example. It gave me something interesting to think about. Thanks. :) We will certainly post something colourful and noisy for Emma to look at, when we come across something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You advise me excely what I already do,so it might be that I`m getting on a good point out there....
Her pancreas is still working 1/4 of needed insulin,so she take 4-6 units of Levemir in the morning,just for help and I can`t give her anything with saharoza sugar on a parties,but she can eat some snacks....
My Wife is an nurse,she work in a lokal state hospital,so Emma already want to be an doctor that cures diabetes,I don`t pushing her,she also want to be an scientist etc.She is clever,and very curious and I am positive that she succeed in her life :cool:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You advise me excely what I already do,so it might be that I`m getting on a good point out there....
Her pancreas is still working 1/4 of needed insulin,so she take 4-6 units of Levemir in the morning,just for help and I can`t give her anything with saharoza sugar on a parties,but she can eat some snacks....
My Wife is an nurse,she work in a lokal state hospital,so Emma already want to be an doctor that cures diabetes,I don`t pushing her,she also want to be an scientist etc.She is clever,and very curious and I am positive that she succeed in her life :cool:
That's Good to hear that we are on the same page. That is also Super that your Wife is a Nurse. That puts your Little Emma way ahead of the game.

You didn't say how long Emma has had Diabetes but since she is still secreting Insulin, then she is in the honey-moon phase. That Insulin will run out in the near future. As you probably know, the time span differs from Person to Person.

I can Well imagine that Emma is curious and clever. :D You and your Wife are obviously exposing her to countless new experiences. That is Good. It will be easier for her to decide what she wants to be when she is older. You are doing her a Big favour. I'm sure she will be a Success in life also. :cool: Keep up the Good work Nenad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks a lot for this two links,she better like Sesames.....
Spring came,better food came(fresh fruits and vegetables ),so we have to exercise more,outside,so we don`t use web a lot...
What is a better choice,more insulin or more exerice?How to make it balanced?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi: :)

I'm Glad that your weather is better. Same with ours. Oh by all means, I prefer exercise more than Insulin. Give Emma a balanced diet. Fruit is Good for her but some types have a lot of natural sugar.

Unfortunately everyone has to use trial and error when deciding on how much exercise, Insulin, food, etc. We each are affected somewhat differently by these things. We each have our own needs. Somewhat like a combination on a safe.

If she is Very active then of course use less Insulin than you did when she was playing more on the computer. Check her sugars often and keep a log book of her sugars, exercise, foods, drinks for her Doctor(and you)to see trends.

I'll tell you right now, Children's sugars seem to naturally go higher than Adults. Do not give her too much Insulin to bring it down or she might go into an Insulin reaction. Your Dr. would know better than I, since he sees her tests, etc. It is harder with Kids. God Bless you and your Wife. But Kids are resilient and this too will pass. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes,it is hard to get it balanced,I`m alone with her(her mom work hard on nights lately...),her DR is far,so everithing that I know, I own to guys,on a web!
Thank you for that!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww! That's Beautiful Richard. :) I'm sure Emma will like it.
It's Nice to see something Beautiful or Funny, the first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Richard, Some nice culture in NY.

Whare was this taken? NY park. :eek:
Still it's very nice. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Peter, I found that on webshots.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts