The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who follow a LCHF lifestyle, what is your carb limit (daily or per day) before it becomes more difficult for you to control your blood sugar levels?

For me, it runs between 20-30 carbs daily, but I need to spread that out across the day.

I know that others can go quite a bit higher, so I am just wondering where that magic line is for you...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I don't have a daily limit but more of a meal limit. I am more affected by carbs in the morning and keep carbs down to none or 1-2 at breakfast. Lunch and dinner I usually keep it at probably around 10 or so. Some things like cabbage I can eat quite a bit and see no significant rise in bg. Over all I keep my daily total around 20-25 normally. I have been taking 2000 mg of regular Metformin for over 20 years and have been fortunate that I never had any of the problems that some experience. That being the case I honestly don't know how much the Metformin has to do with helping to control my bg. My understanding is that Metformin has other benefits and may be a benefit for the heart so I have never tried to do without it and it is the only medicine I take now for diabetes.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I do < 30g/day total, excluding erythritol. That works really well for me, as when I estimate based on "net carbs" alone, my BG reaction doesn't always make sense.

I also _should_ count protein, and keep it sane in a single meal, as my insulin response is so poor that I spike pretty well from that too now. But sometimes I can't resist eating an entire steak! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My daily carb count has been a constantly-moving target. I go through periods of <30, and 30-50 with some days closer to 70. Now that I have insulin for use 2 days/week due to steroids, I will bolus for a 30-carb meal vs not eat it. Might do that 2x/week.

Okay, okay, bottom line! Average ~50 carbs/day.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I target 30-50 per day and try to make Breakfast and Dinner my higher carb intake. I also am not one who measures and weighs everything. What I do, do it test with my meter a lot, and if I mess up I make notes and do not repeat the error.....so far it has been great!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm working with a limit of 20 net carbs per day, but part of that is for weight control. My BG can handle 6 net carbs at one sitting (after noon... mornings it's more like 3) - 2 hours later I'm back to normal and theoretically could eat another 6. I'm not sure how many times a day I could do that without the baseline creeping up, but I'm guessing it would at some point.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine is a 3-hour window. <20 net in a 3 hour window.

Although I run closer to exceeding my personal BG tolerance if I have 20 in the morning than in the evening.

I've also been trying to induce remission by following the Blood Sugar Diet (based on the Taylor protocols from his study that mimicked a bariatric surgery diet), combined with 16:8 fasting for the past 6 weeks.

I have not done a formal test - and I don't think I'm there, but I have been able to tolerate in the range of 30-35 net carbs in a single meal without exceeding 115 mg/dl (checked for 3-5 hours to make sure it wasn't a delayed elevation. Those trials have been with pulses, primarily garbonzo beans. That's at least a 1.5x increase in tolerance over the limit that was stable for the preceding 6 months. (My average BG also dropped from ~107 (again, stable for the preceding 6 months) to 95-97 for the past 6 weeks.

Alas, I must stop the experiment next Tuesday in order to prepare for surgery. I plan to increase my carbs to 100-150/day for 3 days and then try a DIY oral glucose tolerance test - just out of curiosity to see what it suggests.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've also been mostly doing the 16/8 fasting. I'll have to check out the Taylor plan you mention.

·
Registered
547 Posts
At the moment I am eating 12 grams of carbs [net] per day. But its not just carbs that control your BG, its also the protein, any excess will be converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis .I need to keep a strict and tight control on both of these macro nutrients in order to get good results.
P.S I dont take any medications for BG control.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've also been mostly doing the 16/8 fasting. I'll have to check out the Taylor plan you mention.
Do make sure you read the studies (and preferably the Blood Sugar diet book, as well) before deciding to follow it. It is experimental (but then, again, so is ordinary LCHF), fairly extreme, and if you are on any medication other than Metformin - or have other health conditions - you should get your doctor's buy-in and assistance with medication adjustment to make sure it is safe. (Some insulin-dependent folks on LCHF have experienced hypos because they didn't realize that maintaining the level of insulin they were taking - or using sulfonylureas - and dramatically lowering carbs might lead to more hypos. The carbs are about the same - so there is that risk. In addition, the calories consumed are lower than most LCHF people eat - so in rare cases (likely LADA or misdiagnosed Type1) it might induce diabetic ketoacidosis. The strong recommendation is to confirm your T2 diagnosis before embarking on this diet.)

I did quite a bit of research before I decided it was safe enough for me to try for the limited duration of the diet (8 wks). I am stopping it two-weeks early on Tuesday to make sure my body is not overly stressed for surgery the week of the 16th or 23rd (i.e. because of the upcoming surgery and potentially radiation it is no longer safe for me). For me, it was worth a shot at remission, but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying it as casually as one might try limited fasting or LCHF - because it is more extreme and there is less data to support it.

Reactions: Wink and VeeJay
1 - 10 of 10 Posts