The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My doc spent the entire first year after my diagnosis telling me I was testing too often and eating way too low-carb (we hadn't gone into the high-fat part yet - heheh ;)), but he couldn't argue with the numbers either. And I tried to be nice - I took his damned statins for that whole year. Then I decided the statin side effects were too dangerous, so I stopped those and have refused them ever since. After another year or so, my lipids had squared up beautifully and he was overwhelmed that I'd done it with only LCHF and without statins. It was prob'ly into the third year when he finally asked me what exactly DO I eat! (I said 'bacon, bacon & more bacon! :D)

He's been our doc for 20+ years, specializes in geriatrics and is the best doc in the world. He has come around to the LCHF ethic and is my staunchest defender now. Lord I appreciate a doc who keeps an open mind!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I like my doc as well. When I was called in after the labs, I was pretty sure what I was going to be told. So I spent that time before official Dx researching and deciding on the changes I would make. I took her perscriptions (Metformin and Vit D) without qualm (A1c of 8.0), was assigned a "Diabetes Team" and sent on my way.

And I went to all 3 classes, 1 a week. At the 3rd class a nurse noticed how much weight I had lost. This was about a month after no gluten and 40g/carbs day. I failed to mention what I was doing, knowing it was against the company line.

My next A1c was 5.6, 3 months later.

I have since "fessed up" to both my DE team (complete with sources cited via email) and my Doc. And with my numbers, exactly what were they going to argue?

I will note that at my 6-month follow-up, I got to educate my doc on what the DE team was saying. She was under the impression that the guidelines they were giving were 40g per day. She was rather surprised to hear they were saying 45g per meal, PLUS SNACKS.

At the end of this month, I'm rather looking forward to my annual exam!

·
Banned
563 Posts
You wouldn't believe the horrified stares I got from previous professionals when I suggested 20-30g of carbs was what I ate for the day
I don't know which is worse, the doctor whose eyes bug out when they learn what you eat, or the doctor WHO NEVER BOTHERS TO ASK. I just had an appointment like that from the doctor who was supposed to be my new doctor (my great Kaiser doctor left, and it's time for another round of doctor roulette).

This is the look I've seen so many times. He sees the obese middle aged woman in front of him and sighs inwardly. No point in caring what I eat because he has already decided that I'm hopelessly lazy and stupid and it's only a matter of time until my diabetes diagnosis, heart attack, and stroke.

If he bothered to ask, he would learn some things about me, like I've already lost 75 lbs and kept it off for three years, like I watch my diet and blood sugars carefully and even get some exercise. Like PCOS was present long before the obesity and I am still fighting the hormonal effects. But he took one look at me and concluded I was not worth time or dignity--this has happened many times before.

At least a doctor who expresses shock about your diet cares enough to ask.

·
Registered
61 Posts
At the end of this month, I'm rather looking forward to my annual exam!
I ain't gonna lie -- I'm looking forward to your annual exam, too! :rockon:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
61 Posts
Too true, Janknitz.

And I am a military hospital drop-out for the exact reasons you stated. They were great to me when it came to acute care. They seem baffled by chronic disease. Not to mention the fact that I had three different doctors within six months due to PCSing. Continuity of care? Sh'yeah. Right.

Reactions: Bree

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Hi bugellen, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately it is more the norm to get a T2 diagnosis and turned out to pasture to fend for yourself with only a 'change your diet, exercise, and lose weight' for guidance. No 'how to' unless it is in the form of recommended ADA advice. Congrats on being able to see thru the BS on controlling BS. It really truly is common sense that saves us.

Good luck in your efforts to go against the current teachings without receiving some sort of sanctions.

Reactions: Bree and margilowry

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't know which is worse, the doctor whose eyes bug out when they learn what you eat, or the doctor WHO NEVER BOTHERS TO ASK. I just had an appointment like that from the doctor who was supposed to be my new doctor (my great Kaiser doctor left, and it's time for another round of doctor roulette).

This is the look I've seen so many times. He sees the obese middle aged woman in front of him and sighs inwardly. No point in caring what I eat because he has already decided that I'm hopelessly lazy and stupid and it's only a matter of time until my diabetes diagnosis, heart attack, and stroke.

If he bothered to ask, he would learn some things about me, like I've already lost 75 lbs and kept it off for three years, like I watch my diet and blood sugars carefully and even get some exercise. Like PCOS was present long before the obesity and I am still fighting the hormonal effects. But he took one look at me and concluded I was not worth time or dignity--this has happened many times before.

I actually teared up reading this! I just have no words. (((Hugs)))

You are beautiful and such an inspiration. And you are not alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Holy cow, die?? Seriously? That must have felt so good to come back with those numbers. Did they at least want to know what you did?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Janknitz, so true!! My boyfriend couldn't keep his blood sugars down on his doc's advice to eat complex carbs.. I showed him how his carb load the day before was contributing to his morning BS.. so he finally switched to low carb. BS are close to normal most of the time now, doc didn't even ask what he did differently. I have no respect for that doc now. Seems to me if he really wanted to help people, he'd ask.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, bugellen. I'm classified as pre-diabetic or was at my first A1C, but with a current 5.2 I could say I'm normal, but I know better! I'm full blown diabetic depending on what I eat. Hope you have success in your venture, but don't kid yourself about being 'formerly' pre diabetic. That term is false and misleading. This is like pregnancy…you either are or you 'ain't'. If I eat bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. I'll pay the price with a 200 BG and it's simply not worth it to me. I'll keep my 5.2 and hopefully avoid the problems that will come if I don't!

Good luck,

·
Registered
61 Posts
After my first trip to the "Diabetes Management" dietician, who wanted me to eat "healthy whole grains" up to 45% of my diet and exercise after every meal (okay, that was good advice) I asked her to let me do it my way first. I got my lipid panel in line and lost 20 pounds in 3 months.

No one ever asked me how I did it except the dietician. And when I said I ate mostly leafy greens and steak (and LOTS of bacon) to the tune of 20-30 grams of carbs per day, she said, "Oh my gosh, that's not enough carbs! Your body NEEDS carbs. Didn't you feel sick?"

"Diabetes Management." Says it all right there.

Reactions: Bree and Shalynne

·
Registered
77 Posts
Margilowry, yep I agree. One of my classmates put it like this: "doctors aren't taught to help you get well, they are taught how to manage disease."
It's like when I take my truck to the truck shop. I pay them to fix it up and get me back on the road. They fix what I ask them to, but do you think he will mention the little oil leak that will soon become a large oil leak? nah, he wants to see me again down the road sooner than later.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Hello Ellen,

From another "nutritionist". I have a certificate somewhere which declares that I completed a course with UC Berkeley. Being a diabetic, I had little trouble with my instructor. She understood that I had to eat differently, but would never accept it. It would be professional suicide for her.

But I learnt most of my "valuable nutrition" on forums like these. I'm sure you will be a good contributor to the site with your credentials & knowledge. The rules as you have been told are strictly enforced.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Holy cow, die?? Seriously? That must have felt so good to come back with those numbers. Did they at least want to know what you did?
Yes, I had to explain in front of a panel of doctors because my nutritionist called for an intervention! Ugh! It was terrible and I was such a noob at LC/HF. But, I read everything I could find in a short amount of time. It was quite the ordeal!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts