The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grateful to be HERE, too!

It is for LADAs ... and some members have never gotten their A1c's down. One woman says she consistently runs in the 12's?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
WOW, I am so grateful for online forums. I remember when my HbA1c was higher in the 7's, I came here and noticed the control others were getting. It gave me a goal to aim for. At first I didn't think I would ever get there. But with all the tips and testing a ton, I did it. I am still not perfect but hopefully I have eliminated lots of risk factors. I can't imagine doctors being OK with a HbA1c of 12.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whoa! My diagnostic A1c was 7.36 & it took two years to get it down to 6.0 . . . wonder how long it woulda taken if I hadn't found you all? Perish the thought!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly, Shanny. I seriously wonder though, to be that far out of control ... takes a certain denial or something? But this person apparently wants help ... so I do not know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Grateful to be HERE, too!

It is for LADAs ... and some members have never gotten their A1c's down. One woman says she consistently runs in the 12's?!?! :eek::eek::eek:
I don't think I am a LADA but this is really scary for this T2 diabetic.

I don't worry much about an occasional BG excursion beyond 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) because most times I know the reason -- what I would call my "dietary transgressions." :) But I would surely worry about it, and take corrective actions if my A1c went above 6.

I am really thankful to all the diabetes e-forums I visit and also to Jenny Ruhl's blog for the wealth of information I gained that has helped me keep my BG and lipid levels in the safe range most of the time. Hope this will prevent further progression of diabetes in my case.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Exactly, Shanny. I seriously wonder though, to be that far out of control ... takes a certain denial or something? But this person apparently wants help ... so I do not know.
This person could simply be running on misinformation. Wish that weren't so common.

Reactions: SusieSchwartz

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Mine is at 9 hard to get it down. Specially when I can aford the foods I'm suposto have.
I understand about the high cost of food, and often healthier choices are more expensive (fresh veggies, meat, cheese vs bread, rice, pasta.) However - I've found that even though individual items are more expensive for me now, that I'm not spending more on my groceries.

In my case, I ate way too many carbs, and the volume of food I ate was much greater than it is now. I get more calories from fat and protein so I eat less. You might think about checking what you actually spend and what you could get for that money if you made healthier choices for a diabetic.

I'm also losing weight while eating all this fat, so that's a bonus!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
EGGS are cheap! I eat 2 per day.
Yup, I love my eggs. I eat two eggs and 1/4c Egg White every morning. 20g of good healthy protein and 15g of fat. Yum. And costs me about 35cents in Canada for those 2 eggs. :D

Of course, it costs a little more for the ham or bacon, cheese, piece of sprouted grain bread, natural peanut butter and no-sugar-added jam that I also eat with breakfast ... :whistle: but hey, eggs are cheap. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts