The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I founf this bread in the Kroger store in my neighborhood.

Good or Bad ?

What do y'all think...low sugar...low carbs...high fiber. Am I dreaming ?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Good or Bad ?

Sounds like a winner-go and buy every loaf! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously...new at this, and need advice. Can I eat a small turkey sandwich on this kind of bread? Thanks..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If it doesn't spike you, you hit the jackpot, Mark . . . Nature's Own has eliminated HFCS from all its products. They even have one that's sugar-free, which isn't to say the the wheat won't spike you, but they're trying. This double-fiber is about as low-carb as any I've seen. All you can do is try it, test & see how big a spike you get. I think I'd go for half a sandwich to start with, since one slice is often okay, but two slices will spike us.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Seriously...new at this, and need advice. Can I eat a small turkey sandwich on this kind of bread? Thanks..
I am being serious.....this looks like a good bread to eat!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to try it...I've only taken my 3rd metformin, so I am sure I still have a few weeks before the meds even kick in. So should I experience more "peaks and valleys" until the medicine starts doing its job ? I ate a bowl of cheerios earlier tonight and jumped from 146 to 202.

I dunno... :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We've tried several Nature's Own varieties, and I've never had any complaint with the flavors . . . they make good bread. But some of it still spikes me, and I can't leave it alone if it's in the house! :eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yeah, Cheerios aren't the best thing for us, unfortunately. Most all grains cause a problem, so all we can do is test and see if the damage is within tolerable limits. Anything that spikes me over 140 gets scratched from the menus. You prob'ly had milk on your Cheerios too, and that contributed to the spike as well - loaded with lactose, another bona fide sugar.

Your metformin IS working, but it just hasn't reached maximum blood levels yet. It works in the background - just coaxing our cells to accept the insulin that's already available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is a "spike" bad if you drop down ? 2 hrs ago, I was 202, an hour after my cheerios, and now at 161. I don't know what all the numbers or the terms mean yet. I don't even know what is considered a "spike"...but I'll learn.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is something we kinda decide for ourselves - just how strict we want to be . . . my target range is 80-130, and lately I've been bouncing out of it every time I turn around. But those are the parameters I've set, and I will continue to eliminate the foods that send me above 130 or 140. Doesn't matter if I drop back or not - going over 140 is causing organ damage, and my old eyes can't stand any more abuse, let alone my kidneys and cardiovascular system.

So what I consider a spike may be altogether acceptable to you - it's a very personal disorder! I consider 30 points a spike. Patients who aren't on insulin are kinda behind the eight-ball, because once we go high, our only recourse is to run around the block about ten times to work it off. Metformin does good work stabilizing us, but it can't compensate for continued carb consumption.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've set my limit at 140 as well - science has named that as the point where permanent damage to your body starts. I don't wanna go there. I'm not on any meds so I'm using only diet and exercise to control this beast. I eat meat, cheese, eggs, non-starchy vegetables, and almonds. No grains of any kind at the moment and no sugar. I can handle 1/3 of an apple, 1/2 a fresh peach, 5 slices of canned peaches or one slice of cantaloupe.
I will be adding more things but everything has to be tested to see if it makes me go over 140. I can also get by with more in the evening than I can in the morning.
I'm trying to convince my big sister to do the same... her doc has her convinced that she can spike well over 200 and it's ok as long as it's not prolonged. She thinks 125 is normal. And 140 is her fasting goal. She's on insulin so I suppose it's different but I think she's way too casual about the whole thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Good or Bad ?

The only way that you'll know is by testing to see what it does to you. As far as I'm concerned bread is bread and always raises my blood glucose levels too high no matter which kind it is - wholegrain, rye, burgen etc whatever. In the main, I've ditched bread almost altogether - I just eat the odd piece very occasionally when there is hardly any other alternative - e.g. in a buffet situation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll have to try it...I've only taken my 3rd metformin, so I am sure I still have a few weeks before the meds even kick in. So should I experience more "peaks and valleys" until the medicine starts doing its job ? I ate a bowl of cheerios earlier tonight and jumped from 146 to 202.

I dunno... :(
Hi Orio,

I agree with what Shanny and Wink have said, these days I try to keep below 140 at all times (and in the main manage to do just that) because that is the level above which it is widely believed that blood glucose levels do damage to our bodies. At the stage that you are at you are at now, you will have difficulty achieving such a level. However, if you cut back on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, rice etc then your levels are likely to drop quickly.

By the way, I'd suggest that you don't sit back and expect the metformin to sort out everything out for you - because in my experience it doesn't. It may help a little but the main thing that anyone in your situation needs to do is to make the dietary changes - in particular, to cut back big-style on the carbohydrates.

Cheerios and all other cereals used to take me high too - I've ditched all the cereals these days too. Bacon and tomatoes for me at breakfast these days - sometimes with egg and/or mushrooms.

Good luck and best wishes - John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been on a low carb diet before, and my wife is doing this diet right now...so easy to step right in. Thought low sugar was the deal, along with lower carbs. Gonna ditch the cereal, and the milk. I realize metformin will not do the trick alone, and my wife is an RN, and she is much smarter than I am about these things. Just wondered if metformin would decrease the "peaks", and stabilize the "numbers" more. Thanks...

·
Registered
253 Posts
her doc has her convinced that she can spike well over 200 and it's ok as long as it's not prolonged. She thinks 125 is normal. And 140 is her fasting goal. She's on insulin so I suppose it's different but I think she's way too casual about the whole thing.
Buy her a copy of 'the Diabetes solution' by Richard K Bernstein, for xmas, (coming right up) He thinks that normal is below 100 (including after meals) and suggests injecting at that point.

He is just a bit enthusiastic about this and I don't follow everything he says, but he has some really good points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts