The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three weeks to make a decision. My iPhone and the Libre 2 sensors I have been using for the last 6 months. The readings have been spotty. Once or twice a day I get an error message when trying to scan. I get past that by hitting okay and then trying again. Usually does not get the error message twice in a row. I have heard that an iPhone updated to the latest iOS has issues but it seems silly not to keep an iPhone up to date.

So my decision is, until they get the dedicated Abbott reader available in Canada for the Libre 2 system, do I stick with the flaky behavior of the app on the iPhone or do I switch/downgrade to the previous Libre Sensors and the dedicated Abbott Reader that I already have.

Does using a dedicated reader produce more consistent results? I do not use the alarms at all so if that is the only real difference, then it is a difference that I do not use

I would very much appreciate reactions and opinions to what I am thinking of doing. Am I crazy or does this make sense?

·
Administrator
2,619 Posts
Hi, liam! Welcome to the forum!

We do have some Libre users here; I hope they join the conversation and relate their experiences. I don't use one.

But the question I would ask is, are you using the Libre to manage your BG real-time or are you using it more out of curiosity or a desire to have more frequent readings than you would with finger sticks? I'd be inclined to put up with occasional wonkiness if the Libre was a convenience; much less so if it meant potential issues with hypos because it glitched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, that is a very valid point. The Libre 2 sensors takes a measurement every 1 minute and stores it until I scan it with my phone, or with a dedicated reader. Then it dumps all the collected data to whichever device does the scan. The sensor can hold up to 8 hours worth of data. If you fail to scan within 8 hours anything past 8 hours is lost so some data is lost BUT..... the amount of data is much more than any finger sticking can accomplish.

And the graphs give a very clear picture of what is happening throughout the day, not just the snapshot in time that a finger stick gives. using the Libre 2 system allows me to tweak my bolus and basal insulin dosages after analyzing the more extensive data. It is not just less of a hassle than 5-6 finger sticks each day.

I do use it therefore to better manage my BG real-time, BUT I have it well enough under control that I am never really in danger of hypos. So the glitches, while annoying, are in no way life threatening. Its something to consider.

I still would like to hear from others though

·
Registered
810 Posts
I’m back on the sensors again after a year without. During that time I lost control of my diet and my diabetes. I had read that Libre 2 had issues, so I bought 2 to trial it. I managed to kill the first one by wiping it out on a doorway, but I have been a lot more careful with the second and already I am getting control back. I have also decided that, even though the Australian goverrnment refuses to subsidise T2s, I’m going to have to factor use of the Libre into my budget. So I now have a monthly subscription and am looking forward to ever increasing low readings and eventual reduction in insulin use.

$185/m but free shipping. Oh well, needs must. The advantage of te sensor is that, being able to check more often, and wanting that graph to stay in the green, one tends to behave more appropriately with diet. Works for me

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi, Sue. We all need the incentives that work for each of us. AUS$185/month. What does insulin cost in Australia?
THat depends on many variables. However, it is subsidised, and we have something called a safety net which means once you spend $x you get free meds til the end of the year. I’m on the Age Pension so my normal cost is $6.50 per box of 5. I’m on the Safety net already (usually takes me until November to get there) Its probably aroud $30-40 for people who arent on a support payment from the government. Strips for finger sticking are also v cheap, unless you dont have an official diagnosis in which case they are bloody expensive. I’d keep doing the finger sticking if I thought I would get things under control again without the sensors, but I know myself way too well and that won’t happen.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m currently using the original and do have some scanning errors on occasion when using my iPhone. And yes, if you don’t scan at least once every 8 hours you lose that info.

I’m considering the 2nd style for high and low alerts and curious to see how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
I am seeing there is a Libre 3 that was FDA approved on June 1st. Supposed to be a smaller sensor?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I’m currently using the original and do have some scanning errors on occasion when using my iPhone. And yes, if you don’t scan at least once every 8 hours you lose that info.

I’m considering the 2nd style for high and low alerts and curious to see how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not been able t get the alerts to work. I want them for lows, which I get overnight (followed by a high when I wake.). Either way, I love the sensor. The first version is no longer available in AU, alas.

·
Registered
Type 2
228 Posts
I find I prefer the 14 day over the 2. The 2 is arguably much better, but I found the alarms annoying. My blood sugar can drop pretty darn low at night, but it self-corrects in minutes. That “critical low” alarm at 3AM that I can not disable is a dealbreaker for me! Why yes, I AM considering lowering my Victoza dose.

If you need the alarms, especially the low alarms, if you use insulin, then by all means go with the Libre 2.

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using the Libre2 with an iPhone - and yes the sensor errors are annoying. But they don't happen often enough for me to go fill my Rx for the dedicated reader. That's just another device for me to have to carry around. I've had it about 6 months now and am amazed at how widely my blood glucose varies over the course of the day. I'm on combo insulin (Humalin N), Metformin and Glipizide. My goal is to use the Libre2 to start working to get off the medications. The alarms are good for me - and I've dropped the high glucose alarm so that I can get alerts sooner for highs. The closer I manage my glucose, the better chance I have of getting off the meds and actually, the better I feel.

Linda

·
Registered
1 Posts
THat depends on many variables. However, it is subsidised, and we have something called a safety net which means once you spend $x you get free meds til the end of the year. I’m on the Age Pension so my normal cost is $6.50 per box of 5. I’m on the Safety net already (usually takes me until November to get there) Its probably aroud $30-40 for people who arent on a support payment from the government. Strips for finger sticking are also v cheap, unless you dont have an official diagnosis in which case they are bloody expensive. I’d keep doing the finger sticking if I thought I would get things under control again without the sensors, but I know myself way too well and that won’t happen.
I live in the US and am a Medtronic Pump user type 1 diabetic. Recently my transmitter stopped working and I'm still waiting for the paperwork to be done via a Medicare supplier (first time I was re-routed to them instead of working directly with Medtronic Co. Of course the doctor is also part of the paperwork process that I go to for my diabetes care and or other health concerns. It's going on around 2 weeks now and I really didn't expect this to happen- the long delay to get the transmitter replaced. It was out of warranty -the transmitter that is. I wish there was a way to get a transmitter that works with the 770G Minimed pump now since I can't use my guardian sensors without the transmitter. Like if someone has one that they don't need that still works, for example while I'm waiting for the insurance(s) and doctor to process and complete the paperwork.

·
Administrator
2,619 Posts
Hi, v.c.cmc777! Welcome to our site. I can't see your response to Sue's post. Want to respond to it with your comments?

And could we interest you in telling us a little more about yourself in our New Member Introductions forum?

Hello, v.c.cmc777! I see your post was fixed and I can read your response now. Welcome aboard!

Have your medical providers given you an explanation for the delay? Is it just the paperwork holding it up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts