The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the north east we have had a heat wave (in the 90's).
Recently I noticed my low glucose alarm was going off quite often, almost exclusively when I was driving in my hot car.
I thought that was odd, so I paid more attention to my freestyle libre readings before jumped into my hot car.

I found no information about this problem on the internet.

Here was what I documented:
2:28 :Before I hopped in my car, my glucose read 130 mg/dl and going up
12 minutes later driving in my hot car my glucose read 85 mg/dl and was going down.
That was a drop of 45 mg/dl in 12 minutes
Another time:
2:04: before I hopped in my car, my glucose was 114 mg/dl
7 minutes later in my hot car my glucose read car 74 mg/dl
That was a drop of 40 mg/dl in 12 minutes

Unfortunately I did not have my blood glucose meter on me to accurately check my sugars.

My sugar went down a crazy significant amount every time I was driving in my hot car (waiting for my A/C to kick in).

I believe this is a flaw of the Freestyle Libre and was wondering if anyone else happen to notice the same issues?

·
Super Moderator
10,431 Posts
I don't use a CGM so I can offer no first hand info. I am assuming hteir is a corresponding rise in BG after the AC kicks in?

One recent Libre user member comes to mind, @Lee_Bo . I know there are more, maybe they will weigh in.

Like you I find nothing searching the net. Its not in their FAQs, but you might get in touch with the Freestyle Customer Support to see if they can help. There are several options on how to contact them on this link.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
I took a quick look at what I could find on the Web. Apparently the Freestyle folks list 36°F and 82°F as the storage temperature range of the sensor kit. I have to say I'm surprised that storage is within such a narrow range considering I can store my phone at up to 113°F. 82° doesn't outdo summer weather in big chunks of the world.

I did find a mention on another Web site that the Libre (at least a five-year-old model) has red and blue thermometer icons which appear when the sensor is beyond its engineered operating temperatures. I don't know if that feature has persisted or even if the sensor is in any position for that to be visible to the user, but that might be worth looking at if you can.

Laurel, it's great to have you join us here. Could we have you introduce yourself in our New Member Introductions forum?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I’m still using the first edition so I don’t get alerts, and I also wear an armband (Diabetes Arm Band for Insulin Pod... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MT6D4FC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) so that might “insulate” it, but I’ll check the next time I get in my car and see if my readings drop. I’m in SC so we’re usually in the high 90’s during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input!
"Freestyle folks list 36°F and 82°F as the storage temperature range of the sensor kit ".
That would explain why the sensor is acting so quirky.
I am now paying little or no attention to the frequent low glucose alerts while I am in the hot car.

@Lee_Bo the Freestyle Libre 2 alerts come in very handy. I often have low blood sugars at night while I am sleeping
and I set it to 75 (way before it gets to be really low).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you all for your input!
"Freestyle folks list 36°F and 82°F as the storage temperature range of the sensor kit ".
That would explain why the sensor is acting so quirky.
I am now paying little or no attention to the frequent low glucose alerts while I am in the hot car.

@Lee_Bo the Freestyle Libre 2 alerts come in very handy. I often have low blood sugars at night while I am sleeping
and I set it to 75 (way before it gets to be really low).
I think I still have 3 left of the first style. I have a 6 month doc appointment on 8/1 and will inquire about renewing my prescription with the second version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts