The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started using the FreeStyle Libre 6 days ago. My arm still feels a little sore similar to getting a vaccine. I am wondering if I placed it in the wrong spot on my arm. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just guessing but I bet you pressed it on a bit harder than necessary. I have had the site be tender afterwards but not for days.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It may be that you’ve hit on a muscle, which is a definite nono. Thats why they say to put it toward the back of your arm, thats where you’ll find more fatty tissue. I landed one sensor in/close to muscle on my left arm and a year later it is still unhappy with me. My current one is on the back of my right arm and is completely painless. Didnt hurt going in and doesnt hurt now (2 days later). Location is *really* important.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks! I’m going to give it another try today. I’m limited to the use of one arm because I am a breast cancer survivor.
Another thing to consider is how well it sticks. I find the adhesive *really* strong at first, but then at around 10-11 days, it starts coming loose and has on the last two occasions fallen out at day 11. I ordered an armband from a guy on ebay, it has a lightweight adjustable elastic, and a circular holder designed to prevent the sensor from falling out. I am at Day 11 now, and theres no sign of the sensor failing. Very happy that I went with that, instead of anything sticky. I’ll probably get another just as a backup.

Hope its OK to post a link here.
https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/redrook3d?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our son has recently moved to a Freestyle and is suffering considerable pain. He is only 12 and has always been very thin. But when the Libra is attached its so painful that he can hardly sleep for the first 3 or 4 days , he has resorted actually taking some painkilling tablets at bedtime . Its so bad we are serious considering going back to finger pricks.
But if it can be made to work it will make his life so much easier , but cant go on with this pain.
I am guessing its possibly because his arms are so thin that the wee 'needlke' is hitting muscle or perhaps even bone.

But they are being applied by the diabetic nurse at the moment so should be correct

We wondered if it would work on his leg or even abdomen where there is at least a little bit of flesh

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Hello, cjt66, and welcome to the forum! We have a few folks here who are using the Libre. I am not aware of any of them using a site other than their arm, but if they are using an alternate site I hope they take the time to post their experience here.

There is a study from the U.S. National Institutes of Health that compared sites on the abdomen and upper thigh to the manufacturer- and USDA-approved arm site. The study concluded that the upper-thigh site was as accurate as the arm site; the abdominal site less so. I urge you to check the link I provided and at least read the abstract. That might be a solution for your son.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts