The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after thinking about this for several weeks, at me doctors appt this past Wednesday I asked my doctor to write a prescription for a FreeStyle Libre sensor, just to try it and see how it works.

So o got home, opened the box and read the instructions. I got it installed and waited the hour to “warm up”. The. Took my first reading: 198

What???? Knowing that wasn’t right, I stuck my finger with my OneTouch Vero: 97. Stuck a second finger: 96.

Went back to the FreeStyle Libre: 199

Ups on further reading I discover users are having one of two overall results with this device; either it’s pretty close to a finger stick or it’s WAY off.

I’ll be calling their support number later and will follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Hope things improve greatly after getting in touch with support. I know starting something new can be confusing, but first impressions are hard to shake.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Yeah, it can take a long time to build up confidence -- and much less time to lose it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after about 45 minutes on the phone with support, mainly giving app info and sensor serial numbers (all in the app), the decision was made to replace the sensor (which seems to be the answer to 90% of the issues) and also to delete and reinstall the app, which also deletes all scan logs. They’re still available on the web but once you reinstall and log back in, blank log book.

At any rate, sensor is still scanning much higher than my OneTouch Vero. Once the replacement sensor gets here I’ll try it in the right arm (current one in the left) and see what happens.

But so far I can’t see spending $75/mo for this. I’ll settle for more reliable finger sticks.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Lee_Bo, I'm going to be "that guy" and ask if you're confident your Verio is accurate....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee_Bo, I'm going to be "that guy" and ask if you're confident your Verio is accurate....
No worries. I’m going to also be “that guy” and answer.

I had to go to the doctors office Wednesday morning for my 6 month visit for blood work, med refills, etc. Stuck my finger when I got up; 104.

Doctor stuck another finger while I was in the office using some fancy looking equipment; 105.

Got blood work back from the lab (LabCorp) that afternoon; 108.

So yes, I’d say my Verio is pretty accurate and I’m very confident with its results, especially with only a difference of 4 within an hour using 3 different devices.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Totally agree -- I think you've conclusively ruled out any issues with the Verio!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the spot the instructions show seems to be a muscular area on my arm which may have been the issue. I’ve removed the sensor and although I have another one, I’ll wait for the replacement and see how that goes. Stand by for updates.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replacement sensor inserted on what I consider the back of the arm where it’s more flabby than muscular. One hour to warm up. Stand by.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, new sensor warmed up and working. First scan is 108. Finger stick at the same time is 112. So I think we may be on the right track. I don’t think the first sensor was bad but I think I had it in the wrong place on my arm, but was the correct place according to the instructions. So we’ll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

The bad news is I just read Apple doesn’t allow FSL data into Apple Health. While not the end of the world, it would be nice.

But at any rate, here’s where we are. I would like to hear what others experiences are (if any) or if anyone else is thinking about trying it.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Lee_Bo, thanks for the update. I'm glad the sensor is working as advertised.

If you haven't already done so, searching this site for freestyle libre will provide some info from others who've reported their happiness and frustration with the FreeStyle Libre. Some of it relates to location on the body, as you have experienced, some to how well the sensor sticks for its two weeks or so, and some other factors.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Good to hear its reading close.

Is there a work around for Apple Health, I wonder? i.e. putting it into an app that has Apple compatibility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to hear its reading close.

Is there a work around for Apple Health, I wonder? i.e. putting it into an app that has Apple compatibility.
Yes, I can manually add the FSL results into OneTouch.

I’ll see if I can find the article where I read Apple wouldn’t allow FSL to import into Health.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Lee_Bo, I was curious about the Apple Health app restriction so I poked around a little on the Web. This might be possible with an intermediary app. I found this Center Health app which will read the FSL and can sync with Health. Now, how many data points are moved over I don't know (that seems to be an issue with apps that can import FSL data for their own purposes). Might be worth checking out, though, if you haven't seen it before. I would think this would be something people would want to do and the FSL has been out long enough for someone to have addressed the issue without having to Rube Goldberg the connection.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lee_Bo, I was curious about the Apple Health app restriction so I poked around a little on the Web. This might be possible with an intermediary app. I found this Center Health app which will read the FSL and can sync with Health. Now, how many data points are moved over I don't know (that seems to be an issue with apps that can import FSL data for their own purposes). Might be worth checking out, though, if you haven't seen it before. I would think this would be something people would want to do and the FSL has been out long enough for someone to have addressed the issue without having to Rube Goldberg the connection.
Well it was worth looking into, but requires manual spreadsheets:

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
What itissteve is suggesting is what I was talking about, even though not hopping straight into the Health app, it beats doing a manual entry. If I had to do one entry, i'd just do it straight to Health if that was my ultimate destination.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What itissteve is suggesting is what I was talking about, even though not hopping straight into the Health app, it beats doing a manual entry. If I had to do one entry, i'd just do it straight to Health if that was my ultimate destination.
It’s all good. Since I still have my OneTouch and will continue to use it as needed, I can just manually enter the FSL results into OT, which then syncs with Apple Health. That’s just one extra step. I can live with that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have been a Freestyle Libre fan for a couple years now. Every once in a great while I will get a crazy sensor that gives insanely high readings. I too have noticed that placement matters, and usually use the notch between my tricep and deltoid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts