The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My father (age 57) has type 2 diabetes from past 12 years. In last 6 months he has constantly been getting boils on his body, frequency being once every month. His sugar level doesn't keep stable and the biggest problem is he wouldn't go visit a doctor. Can anybody throw some light on this situation ? Is it normal in diabetics ? This has never happened to him before n that's why it's making me worry. Any tests suggested ? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may have experienced a similar situation off and on for some time now. What do the boils look like? What do they lool like at first? How bad is pain, if any? Give me a little more info, if you can. I know this sounds a little personal/invasive but I will help if they are similar to what I have had.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes, there can be a connection between boils and diabetes, especially if his blood sugar is not under control, and if he is taking insulin, he would be more prone to boils. Because his blood sugar level is not stable, he definitely needs to see his doctor who can adjust or change his medication.

I don't know how these things work in India, but here in the states some doctors will handle some medical things over the phone. We call the doctor's office and tell them the situation, that person talks to the doctor and calls us back. Either the doctor wants to see the patient, or will call a prescription in to the patient's pharmacy. If you can't convince your father to see his doctor, it wouldn't hurt to call and let them know about the boils and what his blood sugar has been doing. It's worth a try because it is very important that he gets it under control.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
All types of skin infections are prevalent if your bgs are not in control. That is why it is so important to keep bgs in a close to normal range. I know personally when my bgs are high for an extended period, I tend to have more skin rashes and problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have experienced a similar situation off and on for some time now. What do the boils look like? What do they lool like at first? How bad is pain, if any? Give me a little more info, if you can. I know this sounds a little personal/invasive but I will help if they are similar to what I have had.
Hi Salisbas,

It starts with the area turning red and then it starts getting hard and is painful. Later there is a puss formation and only when it bursts it relieves him. They usually last about a week. he usually get its around his waist and once even near his lips. Initial times he went to our family doctor who gave him some antibiotics. So everytime it comes, he takes those antibiotics. But this has been happening from last 6 months ! is it normal ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, there can be a connection between boils and diabetes, especially if his blood sugar is not under control, and if he is taking insulin, he would be more prone to boils. Because his blood sugar level is not stable, he definitely needs to see his doctor who can adjust or change his medication.

I don't know how these things work in India, but here in the states some doctors will handle some medical things over the phone. We call the doctor's office and tell them the situation, that person talks to the doctor and calls us back. Either the doctor wants to see the patient, or will call a prescription in to the patient's pharmacy. If you can't convince your father to see his doctor, it wouldn't hurt to call and let them know about the boils and what his blood sugar has been doing. It's worth a try because it is very important that he gets it under control.
Thanks for the information Gizmo. He did visited the doctor first 2 times when it happened and he prescrived some antibiotics. Also his blood sugar was high then. But now since its happening so frequently, he just takes those antibiotics and avoids going to the doctor. My concern is, apart from those , are there any test that should be done to find the root cause of it ?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When someone has a problem with boils, the doctor often does a blood test to determine whether or not the patient has diabetes. If your father gets his bg down and keeps it down, the problem with boils should stop, so I don't understand why you want to know if there is a test that will prove the obvious.

I believe your best course of action is to let the doctor know what is going on so he can adjust or change your father's medicine. Also, in order to lower his bg, he should cut down on carbohydrates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea, those are the same things I get. Mine are usually stress related but the higher my blood the faster they develop and grow. Warm compresses usually help draw the infection out quicker. What mine are is a form of staph infection so the antibiotics help but good control is the starting point.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Oh, this rings a bell with me...my father had these and I seemed to inherit these but around my rectum. I've gotten allergic to penicillin and been told it was strep, but have not had one since low crab dieting. No doctor has figured out what the best treatment was for them, but Dad was the one with the 'high' sugar count in his later years, but never diagnosed with diabetes. I had never been diagnosed either, but found with a higher than normal count when I asked and had an A1C test done last summer...now, I wonder about mine. I'll watch and see and try to remember They were once tested and were staph and so I could not be properly treated as I'm allergic to penicillin drugs and I have to just live with them until healed. I got these as a child, so we've always thought these were belied to be caused from shared staph, but maybe not?

Thank you,
s

·
Registered
370 Posts
Shingles ????????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts