1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting an OGTT soon through the doctor but I just wonder -

I have had 2 fasting glucose tests at 90 ml/dm

Yet I get classic diabetes symptoms such as:

Drinking large bottles of water causes 2-3 bouts of urination over a half hour or hour and then it stops (without a strong sense of thirst though)
Feeling thirsty in the morning, especially when I sweat a lot, till I have a cup to drink and then it disappears
pins and needles when I awkwardly apply pressure to it say on the train or at my desk.
I have a kind of infectious boil on my neck which appeared on Friday and has just disappeared

Do you think this is conclusive evidence of Type II diabetes? It is making me feel suicidal.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
No, it is not conclusive.
And you can't rule it out with the fasting BG test results either. Some people have normal fasting BG readings but their glucose levels rise during the day.

From everything I know, your surest tests for diagnosing diabetes are the hemoglobin A1c and oral glucose tolerance tests.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From everything I know, your surest tests for diagnosing diabetes are the hemoglobin A1c and oral glucose tolerance tests.
This is what I have heard. I am going to be pushing my doctor for the OGTT test as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am planning on getting an OGTT soon through the doctor but I just wonder -

I have had 2 fasting glucose tests at 90 ml/dm

Yet I get classic diabetes symptoms such as:

Drinking large bottles of water causes 2-3 bouts of urination over a half hour or hour and then it stops (without a strong sense of thirst though)
Feeling thirsty in the morning, especially when I sweat a lot, till I have a cup to drink and then it disappears
pins and needles when I awkwardly apply pressure to it say on the train or at my desk.
I have a kind of infectious boil on my neck which appeared on Friday and has just disappeared

Do you think this is conclusive evidence of Type II diabetes? It is making me feel suicidal.
No it isnt conclusive of diabetes. Drinking a large amount of water *should* make you have to urinate. So will drinking a lot of tea. It isnt unusual to be thirsty when you are sweating, the body needs to replace what it is losing. Even "pins and needles" when awkwardly applying pressure to an arm or leg isnt necessarily unusual. I can imagine most people have had the experience of sitting a certain way or reclining a certain way and had a leg or arm "fall asleep" with that pins and needle feeling.The boil? Could just be a boil...it happens. I have been diabetic most of my life and do not suffer from them.

No need to be suicidal over it :) Your fasting glucose test was perfectly normal. If you are concerned about it, ask for an A1c. That will give you an estimate of what your blood sugar has been averaging for the last 3 months or so. If you are diabetic, it will be elevated. Good luck :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I feel lied at by my doctors. A part of me hopes they rot in hell. They gave false promise by only doing a FGT. One year of delusion (albeit one in which I lost a lot of weight). And now my life is probably over. :(

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
To be honest I feel lied at by my doctors. A part of me hopes they rot in hell. They gave false promise by only doing a FGT. One year of delusion (albeit one in which I lost a lot of weight). And now my life is probably over. :(
Don't feel too bad, and even *if* you are diabetic, life certainly isn't over!

It's typical of doctors where I am to send you for fasting blood glucose test ONLY if you complain of diabetes type symptoms, and only after a high result will they send you for an A1c. It's simply what they're taught to do, it seems.

Most doctors (especially general practitioners) simply aren't that educated about diabetes, unfortunately. You may or may not be aware the average family physician remembers approximately 6% of what they studied during medical school. (Scary, huh?) So unless they specialize in diabetes or endocrinology they only know what they learned years ago, or what drug salespeople tell them... Or what the various country's diabetic associations put out for literature, etc.

Good luck with the A1c and OGGT tests. And remember, educating yourself is the best thing you can do. Even with diabetes you can live a very full, happy life!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No, your life isn't over, it's just beginning. Without knowing how you've lived your life up to this point, I can tell you that most type 2 people on this forum have taken their diagnosis as a wake-up call, and are living much healthier happier lives than they ever did before. You have all the tools at your disposal to control your blood sugar; what you need is to make up your mind to do it.

Keep in touch and read the threads of our boards - you'll see how it's done and how successful it is. Please don't waste time and energy blaming the doctors and bemoaning your condition. Get to work fixing it. We're here to help you all we can . . . right here - right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, your life isn't over, it's just beginning. Without knowing how you've lived your life up to this point, I can tell you that most type 2 people on this forum have taken their diagnosis as a wake-up call, and are living much healthier happier lives than they ever did before. You have all the tools at your disposal to control your blood sugar; what you need is to make up your mind to do it.

Keep in touch and read the threads of our boards - you'll see how it's done and how successful it is. Please don't waste time and energy blaming the doctors and bemoaning your condition. Get to work fixing it. We're here to help you all we can . . . right here - right now.
Well, I had already done that, you see? On the basis of the test I took, FBG, last year and in September, I thought my efforts to get to a normal weight, eat healthily and so on had given me the best possible chance to avoid it!

I still have a week till my appointment. I hope they don't think I'm crazy (they did last time, though this time I think my symptomology is much more tangible), I have gone to them over every illness under the sun, including cancers in every place. I don't know how I can wait so long for such a simple test. I can't concentrate. I can't work. All my free time is spent researching statistics on the specificity and negative prediction rate of FBG tests.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well stop obsessing about it. I live with an OCD and I know you can rein it in. Surely in your research you've learned that there is no cure. Weight loss, etc., can reduce insulin resistance and stall the onset for some people, but there are no guarantees.

What exactly were you eating that is "healthy"? Grains? Fruits? Milk? Those are all no-nos for controlling blood sugar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I have been limiting intake to 500-1000 calories a day of whole grains and salads and water, when I can and the hunger doesn't get too bad.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Oh, I have been limiting intake to 500-1000 calories a day of whole grains and salads and water, when I can and the hunger doesn't get too bad.
Um... are you only eating 500-1000 calories a day in TOTAL? Or just of the items above that you mention?

If it's in total, that's far too few for most anybody. I normally eat around 500 per meal at 5 meals a day ... And I'm losing weight...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your blood sugar will drop like a rock if you avoid eating grains. Any grains . . . even whole grains. Eliminate corn, wheat, oats, rice - all the grains and grain products - and you'll see immediate improvement in your blood sugar levels. A diet of protein and fats is a much healthier choice for people with metabolic issues like diabetes, and the inclusion of moderate amounts of fat in your diet will keep you from any hunger (yes, you'll continue to lose weight. The lowfat myth is exactly that - a myth). I know, I know . . . all the "experts" say whole grains & lowfat are the best - so so so very healthy. Well all the experts don't have diabetes or they'd know better than to preach such idiocy. Unless/until you take insulin, you'll be much happier with your numbers if you stop eating any grain.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That isnt nearly enough. Your body will actually go into "starvation mode" at that point and will start holding on to weight instead of losing it. If you are finding your weight loss is less than you think it should be, then that is probably the reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Um... are you only eating 500-1000 calories a day in TOTAL? Or just of the items above that you mention?

If it's in total, that's far too few for most anybody. I normally eat around 500 per meal at 5 meals a day ... And I'm losing weight...
Yes total. If I'm not anxious. If I am depressed I might eat more normally to 'calm' myself, within the 2000 calories range. If I'm anxious I often go 3-4 days without eating food.

Once I went a whole week without eating any food and my weight just dropped very quickly which of course just panicked me more that I have diabetes.

I don't know, in various states of mind I can't stand the sight of food because I look at it and I see my own death.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes total. If I'm not anxious. If I am depressed I might eat more normally to 'calm' myself, within the 2000 calories range. If I'm anxious I often go 3-4 days without eating food.

Once I went a whole week without eating any food and my weight just dropped very quickly which of course just panicked me more that I have diabetes.

I don't know, in various states of mind I can't stand the sight of food because I look at it and I see my own death.
Are you seeing someone for your anxiety? This could be the root cause of your symptoms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been having headaches and blurred vision since Monday when I started spending all day being anxious - can anxiety cause this? I doubt it.

I lost my wallet today and a lot of money because I seem to have zero concentration on anything.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have been having headaches and blurred vision since Monday when I started spending all day being anxious - can anxiety cause this? I doubt it.

I lost my wallet today and a lot of money because I seem to have zero concentration on anything.
Yes, without any doubt, anxiety can cause it. Headaches and foggy blurred vision are but two of dozens of anxiety symptoms. I'm sorry about your lost wallet. Please see a professional about your anxiety.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Hello Ferrus and :welcome: Sorry it took me so long to welcome you. I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. They are under control with the help of medication. I do see a shrink once a month, he helps me and has a lot of good ideas. At some point I will need to try and get off the medication and learn how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks. I also take prozac and doxepin for depression. I have been on depression medication for 30 years and have been told that I will always need to be on something for depression. Are you seeing someone for your anxiety? You are so anxious that you can't think straight and you are going to get in a car accident or something. There is alot of help out there for you to get a handle on your anxiety. If you get a doctor to diagnosis you with diabetes, then you can start a plan on how to manage it, it is a disease that can be managed and it is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you see the doctor he will do several tests to find out if you are diabetic. If you are you are probably in the early stages and with healthy eating and exercise you will be able to control it. As diabetics we need to eat a regular schedule. Skipping meals causes our liver to change stored glycogen into glucose raising our bgs. Your body is designed to survive famines. So if you cut your calories to 500 it will just slow down your metabolism so you don't starve. If you find out you are diabetic you will need to balance your diet a little better. Add more proteins and fats and decrease the carbs. Welcome to DF

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.