The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I would like to indroduce myself. My name is Nikki.
I'm a newly diagnosed (April 2012) type 2.
I have a very complicated health situation- I had a MVA 5 & 1/2 years ago and broke my femur in many places, broke my spine and most of my ribs. I was told I woul never walk again. Then after many operations, metal, pins, plates, rehab and effort I got out of the wheel chair after 2 years. :D
Then in a medical procedure I was having in hospital, during the operation they gave me two bags of the wrong blood- so I had an incompatable blood transfusion- which caused a cardiac arrest -8 times defibrillated before I came back- then another cardiac arrest-17 times defibrillated and a stroke- then a coma for 6 weeks on life support, dialysis, tracheostomy and I eventually awoke with my right side paralysed. After alot of work, procedures, pain and effort it is now 3 years later- I can walk with two crutches, and move most of my right side- I remain unable too feel or move my right leg below the knee and my right arm have some deficits. I have also been diagnosed with cardiac problems- extremly high blood pressure and tachycardia (very fast pulse), some problems with kidney function and liver function, I'm on several narcotic pain killers and other assorted medications for my various conditions.

SO.....this brings me to diabetes. Since my iniatial car accident 5 & 1/2 years ago I gained 65kilos. So amongst all these problems & the weight gain it was missed that my blood glucose levels were usually higher or too low, I had increased thirst, and urinating constantly, 4-5 times overnight and lots thru the day. Night sweats and fevers put down to infections, drugs and pain. I'm not even sure I am a type 2 and not needing insulin yet as my BSL's are still really high even with metformin. I'm a bit of a mess. It's a struggle as it is difficult to know what causes what and why I'm feeling so awful all the time.
I have never tried a forum or a group before and I'm hoping for some help thru all this new diagnosis and hope for some tips on how to control this part of my health- there is a lot of my health that I can't control but I'm hoping that this is something that I can help manage & maybe start feeling human again.
Thankyou for reading, Nikki

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello Nikki and welcome to the club.

You have had a very distressing last few years and you have my sympathy. Topping the issues off with a Diabetes diagnosis was a final cruel irony.

The good news is that despite all the doom merchants, diabetes can be managed but it does mean a very hard look at your eating habits.

Many members of the forum manage their condition by reducing their carbohydrate intake and increasing the proportion of their diet containing healthy natural fats. This is the controversial aspect of it. The official wisdom has the built in mantra "fat is bad - starch is good". However starch is simply sugar in hiding. And excess sugar in our blood stream is what triggers the problem.

Jenny Ruhl who has been diabetic since the 1990s, created this web site. Blood Sugar 101 I have found the information it contains invaluable in helping me bring my, admittedly fairly mild, condition under control. It's well worth looking at.

Many members of the forum have been coping with the problem for many years and have a wealth of experience and will be happy to offer suggestions, so please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Please bear in mind though that no one on the site will attempt to give medical advice as such, merely the ideas that have worked for them. Unlike the medical profession which seems to have taken the view that "one size fits all" when it comes to treatment, we've reached the consensus that whilst there are definate common ground rules we're all different and what works for one person may be completely useless for another.

Do visit often and feel free to ask for opinions.

Good luck, John

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Nikki. When it comes to high bg, there are a lot of things that come into play like illness, infection and certain types of medication. We don't have a lot of control over those things, but we do have control of how many carbs we eat per meal. When it comes to food, carbs are the worst enemy of the diabetic because they are the most responsible for raising our bg. Many of us eat low carb/high fat, and if you do your reading at blood sugar 101 you will understand why. This way of eating not only helps keep our bg low, it can often assist us in losing weight, can sometimes help repair kidney damage and reduce high blood pressure, among other things.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to our Forum. I think you will find lots of support here. Type 1 and Type 2 are actually different diseases that share the same symptoms. Type 1 is an autoimmune attack on the pancreas, so you would need to have a GAD65 Antibody test done. Type 2 usually comes on slower and we usually still produce some insulin but our body is resistant to it. Many Type 2's do need insulin to manage their bgs. A lot of us find changing our diet and cutting out many carbs especially wheat really helps our diabetes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my goodness! I am already so impressed with the feedback I've had already!! I am so surprised and thank you all for commenting! I obviously have a lot to learn and I am a little more optimistic from just reading these replies that I will be able to research and hopefully find some ways to help manage this disease and manage my body. And yes, you are right- there are many things that could be or are in conjunction keeping my blood glucose levels inflated. So I will do some more research and go back to my doctors a little better informed and a list full of questions!! Thankyou for responding and your kind words. :)

type 2- newly diagnosed April 2012. 31 year old female.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi there, Nikki, glad you found us. You've been given the basics about this condition but I wanted to welcome you aboard! Ask any question you have after you read the 'handbook' or as you read it. This you can control if you apply yourself, so read away!

Good luck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts