The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to call this, but I made a batch to go along with my Chuck roast Chili with Black Soy Beans yesterday and I thought I would share.

I cup of Almond Flour
1/4 cup of Corn Bran (for taste)
1/4 of Ground Flaxseed
1/4 tsp of baking powder/baking soda
1 large slice of Red Onion
1 Jalepeno pepper
Garlic powder
Salt, Pepper
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of mixed mexican cheese shreds
2-3 tbls of coconut oil

I placed all in a food processor and waited till it turned into a thick dough. I kneaded it several times and placed palm sized flattened pieces of it in a hot lightly greased skillet. It only took several minutes on each side to get them golden brown. They were really good with the chili.

Reactions: frankly

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Not sure what to call this, but I made a batch to go along with my Chuck roast Chili with Black Soy Beans yesterday and I thought I would share.

I cup of Almond Flour
1/4 cup of Corn Bran (for taste)
1/4 of Ground Flaxseed
1/4 tsp of baking powder/baking soda
1 large slice of Red Onion
1 Jalepeno pepper
Garlic powder
Salt, Pepper
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of mixed mexican cheese shreds
2-3 tbls of coconut oil

I placed all in a food processor and waited till it turned into a thick dough. I kneaded it several times and placed palm sized flattened pieces of it in a hot lightly greased skillet. It only took several minutes on each side to get them golden brown. They were really good with the chili.
I'll bet they WERE . . . I can almost taste 'em clear over here! :cool:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sounds good, but sounds a bit too spicy for my system...Maybe a blander recipe would be just as good? Might have to experiment with it. Fried bread just sounds absolutely lush!

Reactions: MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could drop the onion and the Jalepeno, you may have to add a few drops of water though.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how you would get it to stick together with out the cheese, might work if you increase the flaxseed a bit. Corn Bran is 65g carb per cup with 60g of fiber so net 5g of carbs per cup, pretty low and it doesn't take much of this stuff to make things taste corny. I purchased it thru Honeyville grains, its pretty cheap as well. I use it a lot in making corn bread more carb friendly along with the Hi-Maize 260 resistant starch which is also made from corn.

And without any egg! Great for me!
I would have to leave out the cheese, but am willing to experiment to see how that might work.

What is the carb/fiber count on the corn bran? Is it easy to find?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Gosh that sounds good as a substitute for 'hot water cornbread' which I adore. Gotta get some of that corn bran. I gather it tastes a lot like masa which I love to add to chili...does it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
......So how many carbs would a piece of this stuff be (say 4" round piece)?

Thanks.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gosh that sounds good as a substitute for 'hot water cornbread' which I adore. Gotta get some of that corn bran. I gather it tastes a lot like masa which I love to add to chili...does it?
The corn bran gives anything you put it in taste corny, similar to tortila chips.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
......So how many carbs would a piece of this stuff be (say 4" round piece)?

Thanks.
I made 6, 4- 5" patties that are probably a little over 2g carb each.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here in the NW Native American culture they make fry bread... But it is VERY bad for you...lol...but so good... Thank goodness we don't have it at work very often

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
461 Posts
That sounds like a hoecake... They are wonderful! My mother used to fry them. Corn meal, egg, buttermilk and bacon drippings (I think)... fried in lard...lol They look like a pancake with real crisp edges... Very fating, full of carbs and delicious.

bugg:pCan't wait to try this...:D

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They have the consistency of a cold cheese Quesadilla with Jalepenos, but they are warm. I like em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts