The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... a while ago a local grocery store had cut-up chicken on sale, so I bought some to make fried chicken with and froze a bunch...

That was before I was Dx'd and now I'm wondering how to make a low-carb/low-GI fried chicken... Since white flour and bread crumbs are out, lol.

Has anyone done fried chicken with almond flour? And if so, how did it turn out?

Or, are there any other ideas for fried chicken that won't kill me?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have actually done it and it comes out pretty good. I dip the chicken in a egg mixture and then dip it in the almond meal mixed with some herbs . You could also dip chicken in buttermilk before dipping it in the almond meal. Some of the breading did come off when frying but it tasted pretty good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Try the Brandi's Breading I mentioned in this post . . . it's all I ever use anymore, and while I haven't used it yet on bone-in chicken, I've used it on everything else & it's fine breading. I mix equal parts of all three: almond flour, gluten and shredded parmesan. If you wanna make SURE it sticks, dry the pieces thoroughly and then dunk 'em in beaten egg before dredging in the low-carb breading mix.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shanny,

The Almond Meal and Vital Wheat Gluten. Is this something you can buy local or do you have to get in online?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny,

The Almond Meal and Vital Wheat Gluten. Is this something you can buy local or do you have to get in online?
I get it online, just because I'm in the hinterland & would have to drive 40 miles even if I could find it "locally". But if you're anywhere near a metropolis, you should be able to find gluten in the baking aisle with the other wheat flours. The almond flour/meal might take a little more hunting - ask around though, it's becoming more popular. The Bob's Red Mill brand would have it, but prob'ly only in one-pound bags.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy my Almond meal at Trader Joes for about $3.99 a pound. Almond Flour is blanched and has the skins removed which tends to be more expensive. You can make your own almond flour by using a food processor. Be careful not to process too much , it will turn into almond butter.

Reactions: Msfranxie

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shanny,

There is a local Good Earth Food Store here in town that actually has both. But currently is out of the Vital Wheat Gluten. And they have the Coconut Oil also. And to top it off only two blocks from work.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a local Good Earth Food Store here in town that actually has both. But currently is out of the Vital Wheat Gluten. And they have the Coconut Oil also. And to top it off only two blocks from work.
Wow, count yourself lucky, Murph. There's nothing around here, and internet/mail-order looks expensive. But probably worth it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Wow, count yourself lucky, Murph. There's nothing around here, and internet/mail-order looks expensive. But probably worth it.
There are a coupla/three online sites that have flat rate shipping of like $4.95 and Netrition is the one I use. Can't think of the others right off. If you have a big order, it's prob'ly cheaper than driving to town to go shopping!

Amazon also has many of these products anymore - I got my last coconut oil from Amazon - and they have several free shipping plans if you can combine your order to all fall in the same plan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dang near drove in the ditch tonight on the way home from work. Told my wife that I had the ingredients to make Fried Chicken Dinner that Shanny posted here. Told her that I would have a lettuce salad to go with it and she said great looking forward to it. I then told her I would not fry it in Coconut Oil for her benefit. She told me no no no fry it in CO????? I just about went in the ditch because when I told her I was buying CO she was upset at first and started in on the dangers. I found some articles on it and she then was ok with it for me. Her family's Cholestrol is way out of whack and she is the only one not on some type of medicine to control it but they watch her and she has to watch it. Anyway was kind of shocked when she told me to use the CO. So I am making dinner tonight.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Cholesterol is found only in animal products. CO is safe as far as cholesterol is concerned.

I can almost taste that fried chicken already! :D :D :D

And now I'm gonna tell you the same as I tell my everlovin' . . . "y'gotta keep it BETWEEN the ditches!" (at our house, I'm the primary driver . . . :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Oh Oh, what is the difference between Almond Meal Flour and Almond Flour??
Murph, I am not a cook but I buy almond flour. IMO, almond flour cost more than the meal. The almond meal has a course consistancy to it. If you plan on using it to fry chicken, the meal would work fine. Almond pancakes taste better using the finer almond flour. If you have a Walmart close by, look in their health food section of the grocery store, you might be able to find the meal. I can buy the almond meal at Walmart, it is close to $10 per 1 pound bag.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I have good luck with using a whole wheat bread crumb and whole grain corn flour mixed about 50/50, everything I fry these days is in coconut oil. Thin pork chops are the best, like eating candy bars with your veggies.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The recipie called for Alamond Meal and I used Almond Flour.
I found almond meal/flour at Walmart in the section where they sell gluten free foods. Th almond meal/flour was made by Bob's Red Mill,
16 oz. bag was $9.87.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts