The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running a little high yesterday – have been battling this since switching from metformin to met ER, travel disruption, etc. My fasting was 98, then during the day I was in the teens. Had a dinner to go to and was thinking "terrific - I'll be climbing almost no matter what I do."

The friend having the dinner is a vegetarian but had taken a great interest in my diabetes, diet, carb and ADA rants, etc. She asked a lot of questions and wanted my (the) blueberry muffin recipe and Linda’s low-carb site, and talked about carb numbers. Still, vegetarian dinners scare me. I admit to eating a sausage before I went.

Anyway, I arrived and it was =amazing=. She made the meal around my low-carb. Hors d’oeuvres were zucchini and cucumber wedges w/ a spinach dip from Costco that truly was low-carb cuz I scavenged the label – 1 oz 2 carbs, and some fabulous almonds I just must get, they were a different variety.

Dinner was a killer salad of finely-cut kale (man it’s tender that way), pine nuts, and a smattering of currants (yeah, but really just a smattering) – and Chile Relleno that she got off Linda’s site Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - it was =fabulous=! It looks so simple and was delish.

Dessert was a cream cheese something that she made w/ cream cheese, berries, splenda, and I’m not sure what else. The splenda got to me, but it was thoughtful.

I drank 2 healthy glasses of red wine. Before going to dinner my bs was 117. When I got home several hours after beginning dinner (and wine), it was 94! This morning's fasting was 88.

I can recommend educating friends!

·
Registered
741 Posts
that's really sweet...a good friend!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Was the dip the artichoke dip from Costco, that is my favorite. This just shows when you stick to real foods your numbers comply. I like throwing a few crasins in my salads. A few carbs won't ruin your numbers. That is a good friend.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the dip the artichoke dip from Costco, that is my favorite.
Actually it was spinach, but yes from Costco. I think if I get it I'll add some garlic to it, or more garlic. Was good, but a little spicing up would work too. Will look out for the artichoke one, I adore artichokes.

I like throwing a few crasins in my salads. A few carbs won't ruin your numbers.
Before diabetes I often used dried cherries and cranberries, but had to stop because they were affecting me when I used them in salads like coleslaw, chicken salad, etc. Maybe if I make sure to have wine then I'll be safe!

The almonds were also from Costco. They come in a plastic container and are wider and flatter than the more common variety. They were excellent! A fun change for someone who's gonna turn into an almond one day ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts