The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Having switched to a low carb diet (read : no carbs at all if I can help it), I am seeing my numbers plummet from 10 - 12 to 5 - 6. However, can anyone advise on the dreadful weakness I now have? It's not as if I have no sugar at all in my body (no hypos at all) but it sometimes feels as though it's difficult to breathe, I'm so tired.

Does this last for a long time, or am I doing something really wrong?

I'm currently waiting for Dr Bernstein's book, but I'm trying to cut my figures now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think your response is 'normal' in that when we are at high BG levels for some time, then BG is lowered to a normal range, our bodies tend to think we are starving. From my experience and others it may last 3 - 7 days, depending on how long your BG was high and to an extent how high. Your results do sound "OK" I'd advise to hang in there.
One item I'd advise you to keep handy is Glucose Tablets, here in the US they are 4.0 g Carbs (sugar) each. If you should become hypo use them to treat it, that way if you need 4 then you'd know exactly how your BG responds to 16 g of Carb. Can be good information to keep in mind.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Google induction flu. It happens with some people who drop their carb intake dramatically. Your BG looks fantastic but to be blunt, you feel like hell. It does pass as your body begins to acclimate. Apart from this symptom, what do you think of low-carbing so far? Be sure to include enough fats in your meals to offset the absence of carbs - like have a coupla strips of bacon or some real cream in your coffee.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
As Shanny says, stay the course. It will get better, I promise! I think mine lasted longer than she says, but finally, I'm back to normal now. Do be sure you get enough food tho' in the meantime.

Good luck, Mayfly!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the results so far, although I still get weird spikes. Like last night, I had a huge meal, but ended up with a 5.2 result two hours later. But this morning, I had a 6.4, which I should start to consider as being high. I still don't know what the proper rules are on fruit - am waiting for that darn book to drop through my door. I had some apple, some nectarine and some grapes but very small quantities. I guess I ate them quite late, maybe that's what it was. I'm about to go for a cycle ride though, which should help.

Larry, I have been high for YEARS. There seems to be some contention that I should have been on insulin a long time ago, but I might not have tried low carbing back then. It does worry me that I seem to get symptoms like high BG's - beign thirsty and exhausted - but my figures still come out low unless I do something silly (had a cup of 'cappacino' from the machine - don't know what was in it, but it spiked me). Bit wary about carrying glucose tablets - I still just don't drop low enough yet, and I feel like if I have sugary stuff on me, I might be tempted to eat it. I'll have a think about it.

Will look up induction flu then, thanks.

I'm not starving myself any more, in fact, couldn't eat all my dinner yesterday, but it was all healthy stuff so it didn't matter than I was stuffed!

·
Registered
89 Posts
MayFly GREAT news :rockon:

From the sound of it you are going the right way. There are times (sometimes often!) when we just can't explain why our bodies have a 'higher BG' than what we think it should be. Mine this morning was 122 (6.8) and no idea why. A 'norm' for me has been in the 90's

Hope your weather allows for outdoor exercise, here the heat is really bad. Today may set a record! Take care and please do post on your progress.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I can tell you one thing that's in Dr. Bernstein's book . . . he hasn't eaten a piece of fruit in several decades. Like my own doc says, if it tastes sweet, it IS sweet & natural sugar does us just as much harm as anything else.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
When you reduced those carbohydrates, what did you replace them with? Are you eating a similar or different amount of total calories since making those changes?

It may be "induction flu" but I doubt it. If you cut one energy source and don't fully replace it with an alternative, low energy is the expected result.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I'm thinking that I bascially am not putting any energy into my body at all, now, although since I still (on occaisions) have high sugars, you'd think some of the darn stuff would work!

No, seriously, I'm trying to get to grips with my new regime, I want to post a more detailed breakdown on another thread. But yes, I need some fat in my diet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts