The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all --

I've been hovering in the prediabetic test range for a number of years, but recently went for glucose tolerance and related bloodwork and came back with the following results:

Glucose tolerance: 18.1
A1c: 11
ALT: 303
AST: 154

My doc is significantly worried -- I have fatty liver (NASH) and have tested relatively high on liver enzymes for a while, but nothing like this. My last glucose tolerance test put me at 6.8, and that was in October. Any ideas as to why/how these results occur and what kind of danger am I in? I'm supposed to see an endocrinologist asap, but is there anything I should be doing right now? I'm 44, male, I weigh 202 (have lost 12 pounds in the last 8 weeks but have not really changed anything I do) and am 5'9". I'm worried, as I suppose I ought to be, but am I about to drop dead? How worried should I be? I'm not a hypochondriac, nor am I prone to panicking, so let the truth hang out. I'll do what's needed and any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For the most part Type 2 diabetes is not a drop dead disease. It is an insidious slow deterioration IF you dont take care of it.

Right now you can get a test meter and check your BG before you eat, 1 hour after you eat and 2 hours after. Write it down, and rite down what you ate and how much.

All carbs raise BG. that's potatoes,rice,pasta,banana,bread...

fat, fiber, protein slow the BG rise

exercise lowers BG, toned muscles use more BG even at rest.

that is all stuff you can do now.

take the BG readings and food list with you to the endocrinologist.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, barksducks. Diabetes86's post about covers it . . . you are not quite ready to drop dead, but getting control would be a good thing to address quickly.

Your A1c gives a look at your average glucose levels over roughly the last 90 days, and that "11" converts to an average blood glucose of about 270 (14.9 mmol/l). Considering that levels over 140 can do damage to our organs, there's no good reason to wait for the endo's opinion; you can start lowering that number right now by curbing your carb intake & getting more exercise.

Don't starve yourself, just build your meals with protein & fats. Avoid the sweets, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. Using sensible amounts of butter, olive oil & even heavy cream, can facilitate the feeling of satiety, slow the absorption of what carbs you DO eat, & they don't impact your blood sugar (contrary to the massive campaign of recent years against fat in our diets, fats are necessary and serve a good purpose for people in general and diabetics in particular).

We welcome the chance to help you make this transition without scaring you half to death. We're all in the same boat, and the journey is easier with fellow passengers who understand what you're going through.

Thank you for joining us! Visit often! :D

P.S.: Another excellent site that is loaded with good information can be found at BloodSugar101.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi all --

I've been hovering in the prediabetic test range for a number of years, but recently went for glucose tolerance and related bloodwork and came back with the following results:

Glucose tolerance: 18.1
A1c: 11
ALT: 303
AST: 154

My doc is significantly worried -- I have fatty liver (NASH) and have tested relatively high on liver enzymes for a while, but nothing like this. My last glucose tolerance test put me at 6.8, and that was in October. Any ideas as to why/how these results occur and what kind of danger am I in? I'm supposed to see an endocrinologist asap, but is there anything I should be doing right now? I'm 44, male, I weigh 202 (have lost 12 pounds in the last 8 weeks but have not really changed anything I do) and am 5'9". I'm worried, as I suppose I ought to be, but am I about to drop dead? How worried should I be? I'm not a hypochondriac, nor am I prone to panicking, so let the truth hang out. I'll do what's needed and any thoughts would be appreciated.
You have gotten good advice so far. Your A1c tells me that your average blood sugar has been high for at least the last three months.
I would get a meter and some test strips (Walmart sells a very cheap one around 10 dollars I think) Start testing in the morning fasting, before meals and at least 2 hours after meals. By the time two hours has passed, you should at least be back down to what you were before you ate. If not, you ate more carbs than your body can take. Lower the amount of carbs you eat, and try again until you find about what your body can handle. A good recommended starting point is around 45-60 carbs per meal....no more than 15 for a snack. That might be too much for you...but its a good starting point.

Become a label reader....avoid "white foods" such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar...avoid things made with high fructose corn syrup. Instead, choose whole grain breads and pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, fresh fruit in moderation, fresh green veggies.

Imagine your plate in front of you. One-half of that plate should be filled with fresh veggies and salad, 1/4 of it with your starch, and the remaining 1/4 with your protein. Opt for a piece of fresh fruit for dessert.

Keep a log of everything you eat and what your blood sugar is when you check it. Take this info with you when you go to the endocrinologist. This will give them a lot of info they will need. These are just a few suggestions to give you a jump start ahead of the game.

Incidentally, last year my liver enzymes were high also from fatty liver. I started taking milk thistle and they are normal now. I cant say it will work for you...but it sure helped me :) Just an idea...

Please let us know how you are doing and ask any questions you might have. There is always someone around with some good advice :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts