The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting since last summer to try this recipe, it was wonderful. Rich, creamy and fairly low carb.

I separated a dozen eggs, threw away the whites and added 1 cup of Erythritol, 1/2 cup Splenda and a splash of Vanilla, along with 1/2 cup of Cocoa. Whipped in a mixing bowl. Mean while I brought to a boil 3 cups of heavy cream. While the mixer was running I drizzled the hot cream into the eggs. Placed the mixing bowl in an ice bath until it was chilled enough to go into the ice cream maker. 30 minutes later the wife and I were in ice cream heaven.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I picked up a Cuisinart ice cream maker at Costco last summer. Will definitely try this recipe. I love ice cream. My only problem with my homemade recipes is they taste great when they come out of the ice cream maker but when I keep them in the freezer they seem to ice up and get hard as a rock. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Daytona and foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This recipe is like the real thing. I checked what left overs we had and it is still pliable, rock hard but pliable.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Egg yolks seem to help with the hard-as-a-rock ice cream issue ... but yes, you definitely must freeze into individual portions and microwave-thaw a bit!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know to be honest, wasn't much left over to freeze. By the time you eat your fill and whats left on the walls of the ice cream maker that refuses to let go, ain't much left.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You know to be honest, wasn't much left over to freeze. By the time you eat your fill and whats left on the walls of the ice cream maker that refuses to let go, ain't much left.
That's my problem when I make something, if it tastes good I eat the whole thing. My husband is really not much of an ice cream eater, so it is left to me to eat it. I think it does work better when you make a custard. When my daughter makes normal ice cream she always uses the boiling method and the ice bath.

Reactions: MCS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts