The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a bunch of fruit. I'm asking... I assume this is okay in moderation? My doc only wants me to test twice a day now. When first diagnosed a few weeks ago, I was testing before and after each meal. Now that I'm not testing as much, I'm a little curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hard to say. I can occasionally tolerate 1.2 banana, 1/4 c blueberries ... but a minuscule amount of canned tomatoes can spike me!

Use that meter and learn the portion size you, yourself, can tolerate, by testing before, and one and two hours after.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yup use the meter on all new foods

I find fruit spikes me also your body absorbs fructose strait into your blood. your meter does NOT measure fructose.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The only way to know is to test at 2 hours. Sometimes fruits doesn't spike me immediately like bread but will raise my bgs over the next few days. This is why testing is so important. It also depends what meds or insulins you use. If you are on fast acting insulin you can bolus for the extra carbs. Some oral meds will overstimulate pancreas when you eat carbs but some like Metformin don't work in the pancreas, so a spike may be inevitable.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The only way to know is to test at 2 hours. Sometimes fruits doesn't spike me immediately like bread but will raise my bgs over the next few days. This is why testing is so important. It also depends what meds or insulins you use. If you are on fast acting insulin you can bolus for the extra carbs. Some oral meds will overstimulate pancreas when you eat carbs but some like Metformin don't work in the pancreas, so a spike may be inevitable.
This makes sense when you realise that Fructose (as mentioned above) does not register on our BG meters (because it isn't Glucose) but is metabolised 100% by the Liver where it is used to replenish our Glycogen stores (animal starch which can later be released as Glucose) or stored as Fat -- along with generating some potentially nasty toxins if taken in sufficient quantity. I'd suspect the storage as Glycogen could explain your net gain in BG over the next few days.

Dr Lustig explains all about Fructose here...

and here is the short version from Sean Croxton at Underground Wellness...

Watch the presentation(s) and then let your meter be your guide :)

I'm not saying that Fructose is bad just that you might want to consider your total daily Fructose load.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This makes sense when you realise that Fructose (as mentioned above) does not register on our BG meters (because it isn't Glucose) but is metabolised 100% by the Liver where it is used to replenish our Glycogen stores (animal starch which can later be released as Glucose) or stored as Fat -- along with generating some potentially nasty toxins if taken in sufficient quantity. I'd suspect the storage as Glycogen could explain your net gain in BG over the next few days.
This makes perfect sense, and is likely one of the reasons that many endurance athletes are advised to eat fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, etc.) soon after an endurance race.

And by endurance event I mean things like triathlons, marathons, long-distance cycling, etc., etc. at a race or training pace.

Before and after a long bike ride are the ONLY times I can get away with eating a banana or orange.

As for other fruits - I find I can eat berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries), cherries and granny smith apples (I only have 1/2 an apple at a time though) in moderation - usually about 3/4 cup of fruit maximum at a serving for me. I only know that because I tested though.

Some people can eat bananas, some can eat pears... we're all different, so testing what you CAN or CAN NOT eat is the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I can't.

The trouble with fruit is:

1. Fructose
  2. Can act fast and go away fast (before you test)

Recently, I began using Ocean Spray "diet" juices with only 2g of carbs per 8 oz. Various things went surprisingly wrong out of proportion to the "carbs" like morning numbers, etc.

I think I'm particularly sensitive to fructose. Since I wouldn't touch HFCS with a ten foot pole, the remaining source is fruit.

My doctor warned me against fruit saying that it might produce a rapid spike which is all gone by 2 hours when testing.

I might eat 3 strawberries or 3 blackberries or even a quarter mango once in a blue moon but that's about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts