The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help - I think I have been doing pretty good on blood sugar. My A!C with home test last Friday was 5.5 - scheduled for lab work soon. But, I feel very lethargic and am blurry a lot during the day. Could barely see today from the sunlight. Worse after eating a Chick Filet A kids meal. Almost blind. This happens every day. I thgought it was Janumet so I quit taking that Monday this week. No improvement. I'm not sure what to do. I could go back to my eye doctor but just went in Dec. I could go back to my regular doctor but i dont think he knows what to do. I could wait to see an endocrinologit on 4/19/11 but thats a long time. My fasting blood sugar am is about 110.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi audiogatorjim. When are you expecting to get your lab work done? That will help truly tell the story, be it diabetes or something else. The vision issues are certainly a symptom of high blood sugar, but your fasting BGL and A1C test does not indicate that. Chick Filet is most likely very high in carbs, so this would certainly spike your BGL. What is your normal diet like? Are you eating fairly low carb? Any soda or other sugary drink intake?

Not sure how old you are, but there are many other reasons why one's eye sight can deteriorate. Cataracts, Dry Eyes, Presbyopia, Myopia, Glaucoma, Mascular Degeneration, etc. I see why you are thinking diabetes as it is common for your eye sight to worsen as a symptom, but we will need to see what your labs say. In any case, keep us posted!

- Jeremy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi audiogatorjim. When are you expecting to get your lab work done? That will help truly tell the story, be it diabetes or something else. The vision issues are certainly a symptom of high blood sugar, but your fasting BGL and A1C test does not indicate that. Chick Filet is most likely very high in carbs, so this would certainly spike your BGL. What is your normal diet like? Are you eating fairly low carb? Any soda or other sugary drink intake?

Not sure how old you are, but there are many other reasons why one's eye sight can deteriorate. Cataracts, Dry Eyes, Presbyopia, Myopia, Glaucoma, Mascular Degeneration, etc. I see why you are thinking diabetes as it is common for your eye sight to worsen as a symptom, but we will need to see what your labs say. In any case, keep us posted!

- Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
Actually, I am a type 2, diagnosed late last year. I am now coming to realize a bad meal, like today spikes up my blood sugar, possibly causing the blurred vision. I just checked ny level, 94, and no blurry vision. So, if this is it, at least I know what to do. I may start back on the Janumet, slowly. I am going for bloodwork probably tomorrow. My diet could be better but no soft drinks, candy or sogar.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My guess would be that your diet is more to blame than janumet. Obviously you've lived your whole life eating the foods you like without incurring blurred vision, but you weren't diabetic your whole life - just the last few months.

It isn't only sodas & sweets, it's every fast-acting carb in the kitchen, and that means all the bread/cereal grains/rice/pasta/potatoes/etc. Wheat and corn are some of the worst offenders, so take stock of what you're eating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shanny, You are right. I think I have gotten a little complacent with my diet. But, my diet has changed radically since diagnosis. No rice, pasta, potatoes, ever. Cereal is Fiber One. Not much bread at all. But, it is good to know the cause of the burriness. I can fix that.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I need some help - I think I have been doing pretty good on blood sugar. My A!C with home test last Friday was 5.5 - scheduled for lab work soon. But, I feel very lethargic and am blurry a lot during the day. Could barely see today from the sunlight. Worse after eating a Chick Filet A kids meal. Almost blind. This happens every day. I thgought it was Janumet so I quit taking that Monday this week. No improvement. I'm not sure what to do. I could go back to my eye doctor but just went in Dec. I could go back to my regular doctor but i dont think he knows what to do. I could wait to see an endocrinologit on 4/19/11 but thats a long time. My fasting blood sugar am is about 110.
I suggest that you see your eye doctor. Make sure you are having a good blood sugar day. Test before going in and let your doctor know what your reading is. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you on any other meds? I had similar symptoms this summer but they were due to statins. I would definitely go in and talk to your doctor. It could be something totally unrelated to diabetes. Certain medications also make you more sensitive to sunlight. I would ask your doctor for a complete physical to rule out other conditions. My dad had something called temperal arteritis, an autoimmune disease which took his sight 12 years ago. So it is better to be safe and rule everything out. Lots of times we assume everything is related to diabetes sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you on any other meds? I had similar symptoms this summer but they were due to statins. I would definitely go in and talk to your doctor. It could be something totally unrelated to diabetes. Certain medications also make you more sensitive to sunlight. I would ask your doctor for a complete physical to rule out other conditions. My dad had something called temperal arteritis, an autoimmune disease which took his sight 12 years ago. So it is better to be safe and rule everything out. Lots of times we assume everything is related to diabetes sometimes it's not.
Thanks Jwags. I take a blood pressure medicine. I will ask ther doctor about this and perhaps go back to my opthomologist again, to be safe. I can't take any chances with my vision as i only have sight in one eye.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a question but are you getting headaches starting with the blurred vision or after the blurred vision. The reason I am asking is because the blurred vision can be an aura for migraine headaches. Migraines can be triggered by a variety of things so it is something to think about if you get them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a question but are you getting headaches starting with the blurred vision or after the blurred vision. The reason I am asking is because the blurred vision can be an aura for migraine headaches. Migraines can be triggered by a variety of things so it is something to think about if you get them. Just a thought.
Sometimes I have headaches associated with the vision problem but I would say that is infrequent. But, your thought could have some validity and i will look into that or at least ask the doctors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest that you see your eye doctor. Make sure you are having a good blood sugar day. Test before going in and let your doctor know what your reading is. Just to be on the safe side.
Thanks Breezeonby...I have an appt with a Mayo eye doctor specializing in diabetic issues Monday.

So, this morning (FBS was 102), I ate some cereal (Fiber One) and some crackers and was blurry later in the mornng. (2 hours after BF, blood sugar was 126)
This afternoon, was verry blurry. I took my reading and it was 79. For dinner, I had fish, steamed brocolli, and a small salad. Blurriness went away. 1.5 hours later, was blurry again. Measured blood suger and it was 82.
I did take a Janumet last night at midnight.
So, what is confusing me is the blurred vision at relatively low blood sugar readings; I thought it was typically if your levels were high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts