1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have decided to seek others advice.

I am a truck driver, over the road.

I cannot get my FBS under 130 to 150. but i run about 6.6.

I am 6'7" weigh about 265, down from 295, need to get to 220ish.

Food on the road is crap at best.

Stress is incredible, exercise is near impossible, hours are long and eating is not able to be set times.

Jim
Metformin 1000mg 2x

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi all,

Stress is incredible, exercise is near impossible, hours are long and eating is not able to be set times.

Jim
Metformin 1000mg 2x
wow very sorry for your troubles. couple ideas - can you pack and carry low carb foods w/ in a cooler? and probably not a popular choice but have you thought about another career?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have similar issues, I normally now run in the 5.5 - 6.5 (99 - 117) range in the daytime, even 2 hrs post meals... But my fasting readings are often higher.

What I've found though is mine are happening due to liver-dump (<-- article in the link) as I'm not high (and am lower than normal) during the night.

In fact, if I set and alarm and test 2-3 hours PRIOR to my normal waking time, my readings are in the 4.5 - 5.0 (81-90) range. As such, I don't worry about it too much, although it does bother me... I just haven't figured out a way to counter the liver-dump/dawn phenomenon yet... hopefully I do someday.

As for food on the road ... I find that tough also. I've started keeping a jar of nuts and a couple of granny smith apples in my truck so I can have a small snack in-between meals. At fast-food places I've now ordered burgers (or grilled chicken sandwiches) WITHOUT buns or ketchup (some look at me funny, some don't) and get a knife/fork for it. The best obviously is to take some prepared food in a cooler, etc... but that takes time and getting in the habit of doing it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Jim . . . welcome aboard. I'm trying to decide if your "NE USA" means you're from New England, or Nebraska . . . if you're a cornhusker, hello from another old husker. :D

I'm a poor one to offer suggestions for your problems since I'm an old homebody, but what the fellas have already mentioned should help. If the choices are limited, at least try to get meals without the bread/breading/fries/rice/pasta. Focusing fully on protein & fats will bring your levels down . . . when KFC introduced that double-down sandwich of theirs, it took a lotta flack from the no-fats folk, but I ate one once (the grilled version), and it didn't budge my BG!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Although your fastings are high, your HbA1c is well below the 7.0 the ADA recommends. As far as eating on the road, that is difficult. All I could suggest is that you buy a small carb counting book. They have a section in the back with carb counts of a lot of fast food restaurants. You could try to find lower carb options to eat. Also what meds or insulins are you on. Sometimes increasing metformin helps lower morning numbers. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
. . . when KFC introduced that double-down sandwich of theirs, it took a lotta flack from the no-fats folk, but I ate one once (the grilled version), and it didn't budge my BG!
... those ... are ... SO ... good. I'm a bad boy, and would eat that every day if my wife would let me...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I make grilled double downs at home - yum!

Another tactic is to double the meats on half the bread. I love Panera / Saint Louis Bread Company...and I get a turkey sandwich on a bagel, but we all know bagels are bad... so I take the toppings from both halves and put them on one half, then have a salad on the side. It would be easy to adapt for other restaurants...and a carb counting book would be a good idea. I'd keep lots of veggies, jerky, nuts and crackers in the truck for snacks... most truck stops have cheese, yogurt, lunch meat, or something. There are some granola bars out there that aren't too bad, depends on the person of course - I prefer Kashi, but some people can't eat them.

But work with what you can get... a sourdough grilled chicken sandwich at Jack in the Box, a Jr. Whopper w/ extra patty at burger king, mcdouble / double cheese at McD.... just can't have the fries, but if you keep veggies in your truck, you can round out your meal with those. Not the most idea when it comes to fat and calories, but you can make it work, and then settle in for a better meal at a sit down restaurant when you can - steak, grilled chicken, fish, big salad, steamed veggies...

I know it's harder for me to keep up with it all when I'm on the go on the weekends, so I can't imagine being on the go full time. I'd probably install a mini-fridge in my truck! LOL

G

·
welcome Jim :) that sounds frustrating... I've often had a whinge about the lack of healthly foods available on the run. Fast food seems to rule the roost. But everyone here has given you some pretty good suggestions. I also reckon it's a good idea to keep a food section (whether it's a cooler or compartment) where you at least keep healthy snacks on hand such as fruit, museli bars, etc. What I find annoying about fast food places is that they don't tend to offer you the option of wholegrain foods. I reckon if that was offered it would help a bit... coz if you're going to eat carbs you want it to be low GI and not the high GI crap they tend sell at the moment. Eating too many of those meat patties I reckon would be bad for your cholesterol levels... they pump those things full of saturated fats. In fact when I'm on the run myself I try and avoid high fat stuff... you want good fats if you're going to eat fat not the trans fats. Here in Oz the best option from takeaway is your wholegrain Subway (although I'm still not sure it's the ideal wholegrain), and wraps from most fast food chains. Hopefully you can work something out to ease your frustration anyhow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,

Jim
Metformin 1000mg 2x
Dear Mr.Jim,
I am able to understand your agony. Stress by itself will boost the blood sugar level. You havn't mentioned your age. My suggestion is that you change your life style and if necessary, the present job as well.
With Best Wishes,
P.Kandaswamy

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Jim!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I consider myself at least an honorary Cornhusker. My folks moved to Seattle when my mom was expecting me but I was conceived in Nebraska and raised by Cornhuskers. Spent some time there while I was growing up.. all my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were there so we showed up most summers. I often think it would have been great to grow up there - not sure my folks made the right decision.
Anyway.... Welcome! My best suggestions for eating on the road are carry almonds, pick up cheese and deli meat from any grocery or convenience store, and even McDonalds has a decent salad. Not a perfect solution but better than a Big Mac and fries.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I consider myself at least an honorary Cornhusker. My folks moved to Seattle when my mom was expecting me but I was conceived in Nebraska and raised by Cornhuskers. Spent some time there while I was growing up.. all my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were there so we showed up most summers. I often think it would have been great to grow up there - not sure my folks made the right decision.
Anyway.... Welcome! My best suggestions for eating on the road are carry almonds, pick up cheese and deli meat from any grocery or convenience store, and even McDonalds has a decent salad. Not a perfect solution but better than a Big Mac and fries.
Good Suggestion

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all

I have thought of these too. i do have bananas and nuts. the fried and processed foods make my triglycerides high. ham is really bad.

And I am sensitive to all kinds of grains. they will make my bg go over 200 and take a long time to come down. potato are bad too, just the flour on chesters chicken will add 50 points.

I am on 1000mg metformin 2 times a day. my bg will go down to the 90's after about 5 hours but at 6 or 7 hours it starts going up again.

I have thought about changing jobs but in these times it is really tough, although I have a expert background in electronics, a mistake in my background 25 years ago, keep me from most jobs, if i didn't own my own truck i would be SOL.

I have tried high fiber foods with no good result, i am trying psylium fiber now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bananas and most fruit raise BG levels as do rice and pasta.

Apples seem to be less carby (probably from lots of fiber in them)
I eat bergers open face style (through out the bottom bun and turn over to eat)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi all,

Jim
Metformin 1000mg 2x
Hello Jim and :welcome:! Come right in and make yourself comfortable :couch2:. Have you thought about sitting down with a dietician? They may be able to help you and give you some ideas. Just be careful of how many carbs that they say you can eat in a days time. I know you are driving often :car: but try to vist often and do take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Glad to hear from you again, Jim. Since you're running your own rig, you're in better shape than a lot of hardworking people, and finding a new job right now would be not the most practical option. What you CAN do is continue using your meter as you've already done - learning which foods bump you sky-high, and avoid eating those. Now that there are coolers you can plug in to use in the vehicle, perhaps you can plan ahead a little farther & keep one of those stocked with low-carb foods, and then instead of the " sitdown" wait for your truckstop meal to be served, you can jog a lap or two around the truck. ;) Every little bit helps, y'know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear from you again, Jim. Since you're running your own rig, you're in better shape than a lot of hardworking people, and finding a new job right now would be not the most practical option. What you CAN do is continue using your meter as you've already done - learning which foods bump you sky-high, and avoid eating those. Now that there are coolers you can plug in to use in the vehicle, perhaps you can plan ahead a little farther & keep one of those stocked with low-carb foods, and then instead of the " sitdown" wait for your truckstop meal to be served, you can jog a lap or two around the truck. ;) Every little bit helps, y'know!
yep, you're right. I have talked with a dietitian and then priced out the foods to take with me and buy at the diners that meet those goals and she was shocked to learn that it range from 20 to 35 dollars a day. which is the problem that then takes away from the family, and that money is not there, i have found that subway makes a salad version of their sandwiches for $5 and chicken strips for lunch and breakfast to stay in a budget of 15 dollars a day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have found that subway makes a salad version of their sandwiches for $5 and chicken strips for lunch and breakfast to stay in a budget of 15 dollars a day.
Excellent! Yes, I've had the Subway salads & they're good.

Now tell me where you are in Nebr., when you aren't on the road! I was born in Dunning, raised in Anselmo. My Nebr. family is now mostly in Lincoln.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i am at home this weekend getting over a cold and going over a weeks emails..... i was born in the big O, and live in murdock.

any thoughs on these supposed 'cures' and secret things?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My thoughts on the 'cures' and secret things, are that if there's money to be made, they'll tell us just about anything and with a straight face. I don't trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em!

Before they finished hwy 2 with four lanes, we always drove hwy 34 getting from here to Lincoln . . . prob'ly came within five miles of you! I think my last experience on hwy 34 involved the State Patrol & a speeding ticket . . . :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts