The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently started seeing a endo, started new meds, exercising, the works and i still cant get my numbers down. all this work and my numbers staying high is getting to me, i dont know what to do. i recently started taking symlin, had no side effects what so ever not even nasua or however you spell it, even at the 60 mcg maint. dose. i am eating much less than i was before starting it, tried less insulin as advised when i started it. now im back to taking full doses of symlin and back on my normal dose of novolog at meals ajusted to my glucose numbers and my numbers still wont go down. i am active at home and work. i walk when i get home from work, and i am constantly walking at work non stop from the time i get there to the time i leave, im a correctional officer and primarily work ad seg where i constantly make rounds, im serious i dont stop walking, if im not walking im running. i dont know what to do. im loosing my mind.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I guess the only way to analyse this is by giving us an example of what you eat on a daily basis...maybe we can help from there

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For breakfast I typically have a small bowl of fiber one about 30 carbs, then lunch I have a ham and cheese sandwich or half aplain pb sandwich or a glucerna smart shake and one mini carb smart bar no more than 30 carbs for any choice and dinner usually consist of a some type of broiled meat with green beans and either small portion of mashed potatoes or ranch style beans. I am such of the repetition

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Bradley, unfortunately for most of us diabetics mashed potatoes, bread (in your sandwich) and the carbs in fiber 1 will never let our numbers go down.

How about you experiment your dinner. Have the same and replace the mashed potatoes/beans (high carbs) with mashed cauliflower or more meat ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried the low/no carb diet, I had no energy, and it seemed like I was always hungry. Before I started symlin I felt hungry all the time also, now I eat very little amd I feel stuffed, almost to full.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've tried the low/no carb diet, I had no energy, and it seemed like I was always hungry. Before I started symlin I felt hungry all the time also, now I eat very little amd I feel stuffed, almost to full.

When you says you tries low/nocarb diet. I have some questions.

1. How long did you try on low carb diet?
2. what do you replace with your low carb diet? As in what food?
3. How many times you eat a day?
4. Do you eat lean meat? More Meat? or fatty meat?
5. Do you add rice, pasta, noodle, potato, bread, milk in your low / no carb diet?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Trying a low carb diet requires more than a week or so to get a full evaluation. The first days are often rough & you feel like heck. This is often called "Atkins flu", because that diet was the first major instance of a truly low-carb way-of-eating used by the public. After your body acclimates to fewer carbs, your strength & energy are much increased. You just have to give it time & stay the course . . . plus you need adequate fats in the diet to replace the carbs so that hunger is not a problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried it for a few months, I pretty much just ate meats and other protein, for breakfast either bacon/sausage n eggs lunch burger patty or 2 and some low carb vegetable like green beans , dinner steak or chicken breast with another low carb veggie. I always felt hungry I normally snacked on cheese most of the day. No I didn't add any of those

·
Registered
235 Posts
Trying a low carb diet requires more than a week or so to get a full evaluation. The first days are often rough & you feel like heck. This is often called "Atkins flu", because that diet was the first major instance of a truly low-carb way-of-eating used by the public. After your body acclimates to fewer carbs, your strength & energy are much increased. You just have to give it time & stay the course . . . plus you need adequate fats in the diet to replace the carbs so that hunger is not a problem.
I agree.... Shanny Remember the post "Always hungry" ? It took me 3 weeks +++ to adjust to it... :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried it for a few months, I pretty much just ate meats and other protein, for breakfast either bacon/sausage n eggs lunch burger patty or 2 and some low carb vegetable like green beans , dinner steak or chicken breast with another low carb veggie. I always felt hungry I normally snacked on cheese most of the day. No I didn't add any of those

Have your tried adding this into your diet. Psyllium husks

Psyllium Husks | Benefits of Psyllium Husks
Psyllium husk Benefits & Information
The Benefits of Psyllium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks
http://drpullen.com/psylliumhuskbenefits

·
Registered
235 Posts
Never tried it, is it expensive?
No, its not.. In Australia its $9 for 600 grams.

Make sure you drink another extra glass of water after you take that..

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m also type 1 and I also have a form of resistant, so it is possible to have both.
I live LowCarbHighFat and I has to do so in order to manage my diabetes. Also LCHF allows me to eat plenty of good food and still my BG is fine. But I never eat more than 50 carbo during a day, and never more than 15 in one serving.
Many people think they live LCHF, but since we are told for years that fat is unhealthy, they avoid it. This makes their effort to live LCHF will lead to always feeling hungry, dizzy, tired and sick.
It is important to give our body fat when we reduce the carbohydrates, because our body need a source for energy. If you reduce both fat and carbo, your body has to try to use the protein for energy, but this is hard for the body and the kidney, and in the process of making energy the body use much of the energy, resulting your body wont feel good.
When someone choose to change their diet to LCHF it is really important to eat fat. I prefer to get my fat from oils, nuts, fat fish and full-fat milk products.
It is also very important to drink lots of water.
When your body has to change from using carbo to instead use fat as energy, the body needs water.
This process takes normally about 2 weeks, but can sometime be up to 8 weeks.

Reactions: smorgan

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
JT! You are back! I haven't seen you on the forum for quite a while. How are things going? Still rocking those great numbers? I hope so. Glad to see you back. We missed you!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Low-carb is a gross over-simplification. There are other things you need to look at:

1) Were your total calories sufficient? Typically, they should be equal to or greater than the number you ate previously.

2) Did protein take a larger percentage of your total calories? That is usually a mistake. Protein should not be much more than 15% of your total calories and certainly shouldn't be more than whatever they were on your previous WOE with with you were comfortable. If you reduce carbohydrates and replace too many of them with proteins, you will not get the desired results neither in terms of blood sugar or general health.

Done right, there is no biological reason anyone would experience low energy or any other negative symptom once they have transitioned to this WOE. I am convinced that "Atkins Flu" is nothing more than the time it takes people to realize just how much fat they must consume in order to do it right. The brainwashing of the last 40 years was so intense that it is hard to confront even when you know the facts. Once Dr. Atkins himself was the victim of a frivolous lawsuit in this regard, there is not enough emphasis put on how much fat you need to eat, you pretty much have to figure that part out for yourself.

There may be a digestive tract adjustment period and perhaps even some individuals have to "train" their bodies to digest that much fat, but unless you were eating near-zero fat previously, that's pretty far-fetched.

I second the suggestion to follow the diet plan at the link provided. That will avoid making any subtle mistakes without realizing it.

Reactions: optimist
1 - 20 of 21 Posts