The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, it seems I don't have it as bad as some members in the forum, but I'm really getting frustrated with my numbers because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. My fasting number this morning was 120 - already not happy with that number - and after a small breakfast of just water, three medium eggs w/ some shredded cheese on top, a couple of bites of sausage (had a weird taste, so I didn't finish) and a 1/4 cup sugar-free jello (no carbs, no sugar, just 10 calories), I spiked up to a 126 90 minutes later. I know that's not a huge spike, but I figured since I wasn't eating any carbs at all this morning (unless eggs or cheese have them, which I don't think they do) I can't figure out why it went up a little instead of down or staying at the same level.

(I should also say that I've stopped testing at 1 and 2 hours because I'm running low on test strips and have split the difference and testing now at 90 minutes after I eat a meal.)

Really frustrating stuff, especially since I've gone even more stricter with my diet now. The only "treat" I allow myself is the boring sugar-free jello without any topping.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Rosie,

First of all, you are doing a great job changing your diet and keeping a positive attitude about all this. Keep up the good work!

Remember one thing, our test results can have up to a 20% variance in them...meaning that they can be quite off many times.

You also thought you tasted something funny in the sausage and just that concern alone could cause your blood sugar to rise. Any stress at all can cause that. For example, today my fasting BGL was 101. Three minutes later I dropped my meter when I mistakenly poked myself with my lancet. Since I poked myself causing it to bleed, I thought, "might as well test it again"! I was 110. Mind you, I had not eaten or even so much as drank water. This jump was indicative of a very short "stress point" and perhaps even getting poked un-expectantly. Any sign of stress, no matter how small, can cause your body to alter your glucose in case of a need for fight or flight.

Also, for me, sugar free jello causes a slight increase, as does diet soda. Keep your head up and your nose to the grind stone. It's going to take some time for your body to make these adjustments :)

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rosie,

First of all, you are doing a great job changing your diet and keeping a positive attitude about all this. Keep up the good work!

Remember one thing, our test results can have up to a 20% variance in them...meaning that they can be quite off many times.

You also thought you tasted something funny in the sausage and just that concern alone could cause your blood sugar to rise. Any stress at all can cause that. For example, today my fasting BGL was 101. Three minutes later I dropped my meter when I mistakenly poked myself with my lancet. Since I poked myself causing it to bleed, I thought, "might as well test it again"! I was 110. Mind you, I had not eaten or even so much as drank water. This jump was indicative of a very short "stress point" and perhaps even getting poked un-expectantly. Any sign of stress, no matter how small, can cause your body to alter your glucose in case of a need for fight or flight.

Also, for me, sugar free jello causes a slight increase, as does diet soda.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Wow, this stuff is crazy. How can a person go through life without stress? Just having the disease and changing my diet is stressful enough, not to mention constant financial worries. What concerns me though is I do keep hearing about how meters sometimes are 20% off. I mean, how are you supposed to know what your real blood sugar number is if that's the case? This stuff boggles my mind...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sure, it is frustrating. I generally just go by my meter knowing full well that it could be a bit off. I treat it, for the most part, as accurate and adjust to my test results. As I am T1 on insulin, it is a bit different for me as I have to account for my insulin. For you, doing what you know is right should give you some piece of mind. Eating right, exercising, etc. If you do that, your numbers WILL go down...it just takes time. Numbers in the 120's are not alarming really at all. In fact, you should be proud that you have brought them down so far in such a short period of time, even with all the stress you are going through. Again, great job!

One thing I have found, is that my numbers often don't do what I expect them to do!

Stay positive and for the most part, don't worry about your numbers unless they are way out of range. Focus instead on what you are doing. Diet, exercise and relaxing your mind whenever possible. Don't focus too much on the finish line, instead focus on each step of the race.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, it is frustrating. I generally just go by my meter knowing full well that it could be a bit off. I treat it, for the most part, as accurate and adjust to my test results. As I am T1 on insulin, it is a bit different for me as I have to account for my insulin. For you, doing what you know is right should give you some piece of mind. Eating right, exercising, etc. If you do that, your numbers WILL go down...it just takes time. Numbers in the 120's are not alarming really at all. In fact, you should be proud that you have brought them down so far in such a short period of time, even with all the stress you are going through. Again, great job!

One thing I have found, is that my numbers often don't do what I expect them to do!

Stay positive and for the most part, don't worry about your numbers unless they are way out of range. Focus instead on what you are doing. Diet, exercise and relaxing your mind whenever possible. Don't focus too much on the finish line, instead focus on each step of the race.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Thanks for the pep talk, Jeremy! I am trying really hard to get the numbers down as low as possible so that I don't have to go on medication. Death doesn't scare me - becoming an old lady in America without health insurance or money for medication or test strips is what's keeping me on track! I am hoping there comes a time when I don't need to test at all.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Your number is fantastic! 120 is not a bad number at all and a 6 point rise in BG after eating is not a big deal at all. I would recommend being a little more satisfied with the results you're getting. Don't get me wrong, this is a problem I struggle with everyday. People have to remind me all the time that the number is good. "Josh, 112 is not a bad number. You are a diabetic afterall!"
I hope this helps. I think you're going a great job. Good luck!
Also, I think it would be a little foolish for a diabetic to not test. That's the only way we know for sure how our BG is reacting. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your number is fantastic! 120 is not a bad number at all and a 6 point rise in BG after eating is not a big deal at all. I would recommend being a little more satisfied with the results you're getting. Don't get me wrong, this is a problem I struggle with everyday. People have to remind me all the time that the number is good. "Josh, 112 is not a bad number. You are a diabetic afterall!"
I hope this helps. I think you're going a great job. Good luck!
Also, I think it would be a little foolish for a diabetic to not test. That's the only way we know for sure how our BG is reacting. Just my $.02.

I know 120 isn't a bad number at all - maybe I should quit listening to the ADA. The literature I have from them says before bed my number should be 100-140 and before meals 80-100. I don't even know how possible that even is to do. Then again, this is the same brain-dead organization that is slapping its endorsement on "diabetic" products that are loaded with sugar and carbs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No problem, I completely understand. I think we always will need to test, just not quite as frequently perhaps? I am probably still too new to this myself to make such a statement. For me, especially on insulin, I will be testing for the rest of my days in one fashion or another as technology progresses :) It is our window to our body. Once you get your BGL and A1C test results to your desired level, perhaps less frequent testing will be possible (not sure how much you are testing now or what less testing really means, just making a general statement).

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Your numbers look great, Rosie!

Mine are improving as well, but are nowhere near as consistent as yours ... yet.

Still working on the stress thing, myself. Stress cannot be avoided altogether; management must be the key.

Paradoxically, however, being ambushed by diabetes has put a (very) few things in saner perspective for me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your numbers look great, Rosie!

Mine are improving as well, but are nowhere near as consistent as yours ... yet.

Still working on the stress thing, myself. Stress cannot be avoided altogether; management must be the key.

Paradoxically, however, being ambushed by diabetes has put a (very) few things in saner perspective for me.

Hi Sharon,

I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning - that getting dx'ed has made me prioritize my life. When I was going through the depression, I was sleeping all day, not even leaving the house, not exercising, eating junk all day. Now, I can't live like that anymore. I get up at 6:30 am, cook a healthy breakfast, I can stick to a grocery budget better now because it's not filled with junk food and I eat a lot of the same meals so I know what to buy. It's like baby steps, but all in all I'm trying to see it as a blessing now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I know 120 isn't a bad number at all - maybe I should quit listening to the ADA. The literature I have from them says before bed my number should be 100-140 and before meals 80-100. I don't even know how possible that even is to do. Then again, this is the same brain-dead organization that is slapping its endorsement on "diabetic" products that are loaded with sugar and carbs.
O my goodness yes - for the love o' Mike (whoever he is
)
, please stop listening to the ADA! Whatever their justification is for their addled advice, it is just not safe for diabetics to follow it. :eek:

I too, have had to reduce testing . . . we're faced with an unexpected expense right now that we just can't ignore, but it makes a huge dent in our already strained budget. I have strips on the shopping list, and I'll go ahead & buy them, but it is a huge decision to have to make. I'll continue getting my fasting test, and occasionally one other test after dinner or at bedtime, but I'm going to have to rein it in until we can get back on our feet.

(and lest anyone worry, our "thing" is only expensive, it isn't otherwise threatening . . . we just need a survey of our property)

·
Registered
609 Posts
O my goodness yes - for the love o' Mike (whoever he is
)
, please stop listening to the ADA! Whatever their justification is for their addled advice, it is just not safe for diabetics to follow it. :eek:

I know, another member turned me onto a site called 'Blood Sugar 101' and when I saw all the junk food the ADA endorses made me sick. When I went to Target today, I saw a ton of boxes of sugar-coated **** - 17g sugar, 30 carbs - all with the 'ADA' seal of approval slapped on it. It's like they're trying to kill us all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Overall, it seems I don't have it as bad as some members in the forum, but I'm really getting frustrated with my numbers because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. My fasting number this morning was 120 - already not happy with that number - and after a small breakfast of just water, three medium eggs w/ some shredded cheese on top, a couple of bites of sausage (had a weird taste, so I didn't finish) and a 1/4 cup sugar-free jello (no carbs, no sugar, just 10 calories), I spiked up to a 126 90 minutes later. I know that's not a huge spike, but I figured since I wasn't eating any carbs at all this morning (unless eggs or cheese have them, which I don't think they do) I can't figure out why it went up a little instead of down or staying at the same level.

(I should also say that I've stopped testing at 1 and 2 hours because I'm running low on test strips and have split the difference and testing now at 90 minutes after I eat a meal.)

Really frustrating stuff, especially since I've gone even more stricter with my diet now. The only "treat" I allow myself is the boring sugar-free jello without any topping.
Hi Rosie,
Dont let those kind of number get to you. 6 points is hardly a spike. There will be a lot of times when your meter will confuse and confound you. It is very frustrating and difficult to come up with answers a lot of times for us newly diagnosed. My fasting numbers started at 160 to 180. Finally with meds they have come down to 130 to 140. Not great but I will take the improvement. In time you should be able to take in a few more carbs and everything wont be as bad as it seems now. I know I am sick and tired of eggs. Give yourself a small treat on occasion, it helps with the boredom. I know with me it was a very dramatic change in diet that happened virtually overnight after 51 years of eating whatever i so desired. A few months from now you will have a better handle on all of this and will be able to eat other things in moderation. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I know, another member turned me onto a site called 'Blood Sugar 101' and when I saw all the junk food the ADA endorses made me sick. When I went to Target today, I saw a ton of boxes of sugar-coated s**t - 17g sugar, 30 carbs - all with the 'ADA' seal of approval slapped on it. It's like they're trying to kill us all.
LOL @ Rosie . . . I think I love you! :D :D :D

·
Registered
50 Posts

I know, another member turned me onto a site called 'Blood Sugar 101' and when I saw all the junk food the ADA endorses made me sick. When I went to Target today, I saw a ton of boxes of sugar-coated **** - 17g sugar, 30 carbs - all with the 'ADA' seal of approval slapped on it. It's like they're trying to kill us all.
Yeah, and dont listen to any dietician or nutritionist either! My dietican told me to eat nearly 300g of carbs a day! I would have been peeing syrup! Amazing how these people have NO clue at all.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, and dont listen to any dietician or nutritionist either! My dietican told me to eat nearly 300g of carbs a day! I would have been peeing syrup! Amazing how these people have NO clue at all.

I know, I have my diabetes classes coming up on the 30th and I'm told that 3.5 hours of it will be a "nutrition" class. It makes me not even want to go, but for free test strips, I'll be there.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My own classes are coming up. Am trying to decide whether to tell the truth or not. Guess I'll see how it goes. Hey, I've got the numbers to back me up!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My own classes are coming up. Am trying to decide whether to tell the truth or not. Guess I'll see how it goes. Hey, I've got the numbers to back me up!

My guess is they've heard it all before and still think they're right and we're wrong. Just like my GP, she just rolled her eyes when I told her that I was following Atkins. She basically said, 'Well, it's your life, you can listen to me or don't listen to me'. Like she's God. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My guess is they've heard it all before and still think they're right and we're wrong. Just like my GP, she just rolled her eyes when I told her that I was following Atkins. She basically said, 'Well, it's your life, you can listen to me or don't listen to me'. Like she's God. :rolleyes:
That kind of condescension would sent me shopping for a new doc. My doc grumps a little, but he accepts that I know what I'm doing, and as Shalynne says - I have the numbers to back me up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That kind of condescension would sent me shopping for a new doc. My doc grumps a little, but he accepts that I know what I'm doing, and as Shalynne says - I have the numbers to back me up.

I am doc shopping. This lady drives me nuts. She wouldn't even sign a piece of paper for me saying I'm diabetic so I could get a free pair of glasses.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.