Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Frustrating

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  beefy 
#1 ·
Arrrg, I just tried some pasta about a cup of it and went from 109 to 145. I guess I cant have any of that either. I know everyone else gets frustrated too. I need to come up with more foods I can eat because I am really getting sick of some of the foods that are good.

#2 · (Edited)
If a whole cupful of pasta only sent you to 145, you must lead a charmed life, Spud! I do okay with Dreamfields, but many people can't tolerate that either. My trick with Dreamfields is to cook it even LESS than the instructions say - I deduct a full two minutes from the designated cooking time of any Dreamfields product I eat.

The "what's for dinner" thread seems to be evolving into a good place to pick up ideas & gain inspiration . . . maybe we could make it a sticky to gain even easier access. We all sure get bored with our menus & need a little shaking up.

#6 ·
My 2 hour numbers with pasta are always pretty good, but 3 and 4 hour numbers are terrible. Pasta takes awhile to digest, it is low on the glycemic index, but it will keep you high much longer, so make sure to test at other times besides 2 hours. A nice substitute is Japanese Shiratake Noodles. I get no spike at all.

#7 ·
I can't quote Shabby in what she said as I am on my phone but it is funny about under cooking the pasta as I just read Lance Armstrong used to do that on his harder training days to get a more even supply of carbs that lasted longer. I just learned that to.ighg and now read it here.

#9 ·
Barilla Plus has been my go to, but I only get 2/3 cup... it seems to do okay, at least my 2 hour numbers are good (101 was the last one). Haven't tested my one hour yet b/c we rarely eat pasta.

But yes, spaghetti squash is a good sub... I love squash with pasta topping... spaghetti, zukes, yellow...mmmmmmm

#11 · (Edited)
The longer pasta is cooked, the more water is absorbed into it, and as such it's easier and quicker to break down/digest that starch into glucose.

The same holds true for potatoes. The less it's cooked, the longer it takes to convert into sugar.

slightly undercooked pasta (or many other starches) will be better for your sugars than fully cooked.

Basically, the more it's cooked, the higher the GI of the starchy food. That being said, all starchy carbs will eventually digest into sugar.

You're lucky if you can eat any pasta. 1/2c of cooked pasta spiked me waaay more than I consider safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.