1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Reactions: ColaJim and foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I also believe in my meter and I hold it to being an accurate and precise instrument. The meter I use (sideKick) comes with a check solution and it has never been off by more than 5%. I trust nothing else.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Science? Yay! Scientific Community? Feh.

Meter? Can't live without it ... literally. But I eagerly await improvements. Not holding my breath, however. (See Scientific Community, above.)

·
Registered
782 Posts
But wait, who figured out the science behind our meters and developed the technology? Me, I rather love the "scientific community," in spite of its shortcomings.

Reactions: Darbro

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
But wait, who figured out the science behind our meters and developed the technology? Me, I rather love the "scientific community," in spite of its shortcomings.
When they focus on Science, yeah, they're great! But all too often, Money rules.

By Scientific Community, I include its funders as well as its scientists. And some of the latter are more into $cience than Science, as well.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm just not as cynical as the some of you, I guess. I did research funded by the National Dairy Council, and I can absolutely guarantee you that the funding source played no part in the experimental design or results.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm just not as cynical as the some of you, I guess. I did research funded by the National Dairy Council, and I can absolutely guarantee you that the funding source played no part in the experimental design or results.
That is seriously cool! But funders vary. When it comes to diabetes (and nutrition in general), for example, the mainstream "science" is not so pure.

·
Registered
782 Posts
IMHO what money controls most are the questions that get asked. If there's a potential profit to be made, an organization will do the research or an industry group (like the National Dairy Council) will fund the research. If cases of a "market failure," the government or private foundations step in. But someone has to fund the research. That in itself skews things.

BTW, the work I did that was funded by the National Diary Council looked at the effects of individual fatty acids on serum cholesterol levels. (Cholesterol was a big research topic back in 1980.) Since butterfat is 29% palmitic acid, 27% oleic acid, and 11% myristic acid, the dairy industry would have LOVED it if any or all of those were shown to have a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels; that would have allowed them to tout the health benefits of butter, which was then considered bad, bad, bad. I had to quit the project because I had a baby, so I don't know a lot about the results, but I believe the work was inconclusive. Too bad. It would've been great to be part of a team that showed butter was good for you. All those years of ingesting trans fats in the name of health could have been avoided.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thank you ... both for your insight and for the research contribution you made.

Reactions: foxl

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I also believe in my meter and I hold it to being an accurate and precise instrument. The meter I use (sideKick) comes with a check solution and it has never been off by more than 5%. I trust nothing else.
I've recently started using the Bionime Rightest 100. It's also very accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts