The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm a mother of an 11 year old type 1 diabetic. She was diagnosed at age 9 in june 2010. She is on the pump now and just started middle school. How can I make her comfortable with people knowing she's full of sugar??

Suga Lips

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Suga. How to make ANY tween feel comfortable is my question! Mine is 10.5, starts middle school next year, and has autism spectrum disorder. Not D, but just horrible social awkwardness. I got a couple books on surviving middle school that give advice on everything from social situations to how to use a combination lock, she won't read them but I am! American Girl series is good if your daughter is so inclined.

You might also look for kids with D sites -- I hear there are great ones out there. Good luck with your girl -- ALL of them are gonna need it!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! I suggest that you join the site that is especially created for parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am very healthy. With your care and support, your daughter can have long, healthy life.

Richard

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I am new to the site. My name is Mark. My doctor had told me I could eat whatever I want. I am all over the place with my levels do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello I am new to the site. My name is Mark. My doctor had told me I could eat whatever I want. I am all over the place with my levels do you have any suggestions?
Hello Mark. Are you type 1 also? Are you on MDI or a pump? Tell us more about yourself - age, weight, how long have you been diabetic?

The fact that your levels are all over the place is proof positive that you can't just eat whatever you want. You may not have to delete entire food groups from your menus, but you do have to consider what you're eating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts