The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
around 12am last night i woken from a nice sleep with the strangest feeling I felt like a wave was crashing over me and then after that i felt shakey I didnt check my BS i should have and i also didnt have my 8pm snack i was just so tired and fell asleep I have never have happen that time of night it kinda freaked me out some

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am bad about testing in the middle of the night, too. I have never had a real low but it is a good idea to test. Sometimes if I am in a super deep sleep and wake up fast I get up and almost am in an alternate reality. I have heard others say when they get a hypo, they may get a nightmare that wakes them up.

O

·
0 Posts
I posted this already under the 'introducing' post you did in response:

hi Mammamoo..... it was probably a hypo you had. It's important to get into the habit of testing your BGLs... even when half asleep. I do this myself, sometimes I may actually sleep through a hypo though and I know about it as I get the liver dump happen and I usually can feel I've had a hypo too. Having a hypo at night is weird I know... it gives you that horrible spinning out/wave feeling and sometimes you're wondering if it's sleepiness or what.... but usually when I feel that way and test I'm too low. We are supposed to avoid getting hypos as they can be dangerous if left untreated. Keep your glucometer and a quick acting carb near your bed. My endo advised me to eat a quick acting carb first and then if you are not near a meal within the next 15 minutes, you then need to eat a low acting carb to keep you BGLs stable until your next meal. Yes, that sometimes means you're having to eat at some ridiculous hour... but better safe than sorry.
Also I should add that my doc claims that you always wake up... but I'm not sure that's entirely true as mentioned above. Jwags is right as sometimes I do wake up in middle of a dream with one... not necessarily a nightmare for me though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts