The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of still learning ... I had 15 g carb for my lunch -- low-carb pita grilled cheese -- and 2 hr later spiked a 168!

Glad I got rapid -- correction bolus of 3 U but still ... why did I get there at ALL?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Much as I hate the thought of it, I'm afraid I'm going to hσve to go back & retest some of the things I've relied on as safe up until now. I think this year of me having so many medical tests/procedures has somehow upset my little low-carb house of cards, scattering all my carefully plotted menus. The last time I had a fasting under 100 was just as I was going into pre-op tests for my cataract surgery last March. My retinal detachment is supposedly healed - I should be getting back to what passes for normal, but ick - still 119 today. :mad:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, Stink, Shanny!

I appear to have gotten novolog just in time. Unfortunately. I seem to be using it way more than I expected to even.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Speaking of still learning ... I had 15 g carb for my lunch -- low-carb pita grilled cheese -- and 2 hr later spiked a 168!

Glad I got rapid -- correction bolus of 3 U but still ... why did I get there at ALL?
Happens to me sometimes. I get high readings and have no idea why. A couple of days ago I had lunch, bolused for my carbs as usual ate and went back to writing this essay paper I am working on. I noticed after awhile that I was sleepier than usual and really thirsty. Checked my blood sugar (thinking maybe I was a little off on my carb count maybe) and my blood sugar was 310 :( No idea why. I can only guess that there were some hidden carb in that meal that I wasnt expecting. My hubby had gone to the deli down the street for us. 3 hours and 2 correction boluses later I was finally under 120 again....but you never know sometimes what causes it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
168 isn't too horrible, but over 300 is! I think that would have given me a panic attack. :eek:

Since I've been diagnosed there's only been a couple times I screwed up and I was getting that thirsty feeling or slightly blurred vision....time to check BG when that happens.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
168 isn't too horrible, but over 300 is! I think that would have given me a panic attack. :eek:

Since I've been diagnosed there's only been a couple times I screwed up and I was getting that thirsty feeling or slightly blurred vision....time to check BG when that happens.
Heheh yeah over 300 is terrible. Wish I could say thats the highest I have ever been...but it isnt. All I can say is...thank goodness for rapid acting insulin!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

I can see why you would be upset. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and sometimes they do to me just exactly what they did to you. The next time I have one I'm going to try extending my bolus.....as I think maybe the fat in the cheese delayed the absorption of the carbs from the pita bread?

What really bugs me is when I eat something 'healthy' like an apple, starting with a BG of 97 and end up 2 hrs later with a BG of 215 and that is after a bolus :mad:

Sometimes I feel like I just can't win.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, not the fat -- I am a very early peak-er -- 45 min fairly consistently, regardless of content.

I had a flax focaccia for dinner -- must be in a cheeezy mood -- and at 1 hour, no bolus. NO! BOLUS! a very tolerable 116.

I am a starch-monster!!! Wonder if they changed this pita recipe, b/c I used to do great with it.

Ready to use it for frisbees, mutter, mutter, mutter.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You could very well be right about the pita being different. A short while ago my OH and I used to enjoy a particular brand of whole wheat bread.....then I noticed that my BG was really spiking high after breakfast because I had one slice of toast with my egg. So I began looking at the ingredients listed and sure 'nuff.....there was an additional form of sugar in it and I didn't take note of the higher gram count for the sugars.

You could always throw a few pieces out on the lawn for the birds ??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Aww Linda :(, Blame the pita bread as it's a slow carb!! I am sorry. :(
On top of that the cheese has a ton of fat witch will make it even slower. With meat has fat around it as carbs just makes the carb lasts longer. No wonder many people who are vegetarians.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strawberry -- NOT on the lawn ... the stray cats would get it, and I want to keep THEM low carb (doncha WISH I was kidding? I am crazee cat lady now!).

Peter -- not the slowness, alas -- fast as crack in this case. I am a starch monster, I tell ya! I have not weighed in since starting the rapid -- I do not want to, though. AS little as it is!!! Need to take a long walk today!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I can see why you would be upset. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and sometimes they do to me just exactly what they did to you. The next time I have one I'm going to try extending my bolus.....as I think maybe the fat in the cheese delayed the absorption of the carbs from the pita bread?

What really bugs me is when I eat something 'healthy' like an apple, starting with a BG of 97 and end up 2 hrs later with a BG of 215 and that is after a bolus :mad:

Sometimes I feel like I just can't win.
That actually helps me..I do the same with pizza..the fat keeps my bg higher longer, so I usually use a dual wave for bolusing it. That has helped me alot.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't have too much trouble with a bolus for pizza as we don't have it too often. Our children are grown and are not able to visit very often. Don't get me wrong, I love pizza but sometimes I don't have good self restraint when I fix a whole pizza for just my OH and myself.

Pam - Is the dual wave bolus something that is learned by experience - or is there sort of a starting point from which someone like me can begin using this pump feature?

foxl - We live in the rural area and surprisingly enough there are very few stray cats around here. We do have several hawks that must live nearby because when the hawks show up, the song birds absolutely disappear from the feeders we have out. I don't know what kind of hawk it is, but he/she is big. One day he was sitting on top of our feeder and he stared intently at the snow packed ground..........all of a sudden he swooped down, grabbed something beneath the snow and flew off with it - so fast you could barely see what he grabbed. (Actually I think it was one of those varmints no one wants in their house - not me anyway).

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We live in a fairly close-in suburb, and we too have hawks -- red-tails, mostly. And deer, and a turkeys!

I think it is b/c it is a lower-class burb, though -- a lot of dumped cats, and social and mental health issues which also contribute to that, sadly.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't have too much trouble with a bolus for pizza as we don't have it too often. Our children are grown and are not able to visit very often. Don't get me wrong, I love pizza but sometimes I don't have good self restraint when I fix a whole pizza for just my OH and myself.

Pam - Is the dual wave bolus something that is learned by experience - or is there sort of a starting point from which someone like me can begin using this pump feature?

foxl - We live in the rural area and surprisingly enough there are very few stray cats around here. We do have several hawks that must live nearby because when the hawks show up, the song birds absolutely disappear from the feeders we have out. I don't know what kind of hawk it is, but he/she is big. One day he was sitting on top of our feeder and he stared intently at the snow packed ground..........all of a sudden he swooped down, grabbed something beneath the snow and flew off with it - so fast you could barely see what he grabbed. (Actually I think it was one of those varmints no one wants in their house - not me anyway).
Well, when I first got my pump, my endo's office required us to attend "pump classes" for 4 weeks. We would meet with the CDE for about 2 hours once a week on Monday and learn some new feature of the pump, then have a follow visit with her on Thursday or Friday and see how you are doing with it that week. We kept food logs that month and that was when we did all of our basal testing to get our basal rates fine tuned. The last week we went over the dual wave feature. A lot of my experience with it has been sort of trial and error. I know it works best for me when I am eating some carb that is fatty, like pizza, anything fried etc. I have learned for me, I do best with a 40%-60% split over 2.5 hours for pizza. I also use this if I am eating pasta with any sort of fatty, creamy sauce. But if I am eating pasta with a lighter marinara type sauce I just use a regular bolus. I would imagine it is going to be specific to us as individuals in most cases. It is still a learning process for me :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I despise the unexplained highs.

Took me months to figure out processed corn was the trigger for me. I'd have 16g of carbs in taco shells and get a number in the 160s. We make our own seasoning from herbs, so I knew it wasn't from that. One day I had homemade chili with 15g worth of corn chips and saw the same high number in the 160s. I eventually figured it out. Using the exact same filling, I can have one flour tortilla (35g carbs) and get an 80. So I've surmised it's the corn. Now if I have anything with processed corn in it - from corn syrup to cornmeal, my number goes high. Popcorn and fresh corn doesn't affect me at all though.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I despise the unexplained highs.

Took me months to figure out processed corn was the trigger for me. I'd have 16g of carbs in taco shells and get a number in the 160s. We make our own seasoning from herbs, so I knew it wasn't from that. One day I had homemade chili with 15g worth of corn chips and saw the same high number in the 160s. I eventually figured it out. Using the exact same filling, I can have one flour tortilla (35g carbs) and get an 80. So I've surmised it's the corn. Now if I have anything with processed corn in it - from corn syrup to cornmeal, my number goes high. Popcorn and fresh corn doesn't affect me at all though.
Funny, I have noticed the same problem with me for corn. I tolerate a regular flour tortilla much better than I do corn ones. I try to avoid corn as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, beginning to wonder if it is my LEvemir wearing off? Or some other cataclysmic event .... ???

Correction bolus should help -- down to 120 and monitoring. Strips are gonna cost me now ....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts