The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question. Did any of you insulin pump users gain weight after changing to the insulin pump treatment?
Cause I did and I'm really desperate.....don't know what to do about it. Any advices are welcome...

·
Registered
930 Posts
So I have a question. Did any of you insulin pump users gain weight after changing to the insulin pump treatment?
Cause I did and I'm really desperate.....don't know what to do about it. Any advices are welcome...
i am type 2 so my opinions of type 1 and pumping are mostly irrelevant, but:

with type 2, if one attempts to control their meal time spike with the basal dose then the extra basal dose may cause one to gain weight, so what one might need is a lower basal dose and then use a larger bolus dose to compensate for the meal time spike.

just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi Jim...so are you saying that basal insulin causes more weight gain than bolus insulin? I'm asking because I have nooooooooo idea....

deena

·
Registered
930 Posts
d33na only

hi Jim...so are you saying that basal insulin causes more weight gain than bolus insulin? I'm asking because I have nooooooooo idea....

deena
somewhat but a pumper is using the same type of insulin for both basal and bolus so my ideas may be irrelevant.
in type 2 MDI excess long acting insulin can do nasty things like increase weight and increase insulin resistance. but people like me sometimes do it to make their pancreas store a little insulin so that on a high spike the pancreas will dump that stored insulin at around 140 mg/dl. this can work for up to 10 or 20 carbs so that a modest error once a day will be effectively blocked at 140 mg/dl or so instead of climbing to 200 mg/dl or so. this is not advised because it can increase one's insulin resistance.

your mileage may vary :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Insulin is an anabolic hormone and anything your body does not need for imidiate use will be stored as fat. There is no easy answer to it. It is a very thin line between what is too much and what is not enough. I have reached a point that I have stoped gaining but loosing seems almost impossible.

·
Registered
741 Posts
thank you guys....after a few months of rolling infections my pancreas decided its damn tired and has gone on strike...had to go back onto insulin (was medication free for 12 months) and Ive been able to drop it from 60mmls of lantus to 25mmls...but the weight is there...and it comes back so fast...thats pone friend I could live without lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol @ pone...I mean ONE friend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts