The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today that taking garlic tablets with a meal can lower BG. She told me a friend ate a S'More and then took the garlic and her BG was lower 1 hour AFTER the S'More than before she ate it. Does this actually work??

I feel like those of us who are trying to control with diet are at a distinct disadvantage because we can't use insulin to deal with diet issues so this sounded like a good deal to me -- taking garlic -- but I am quite skeptical.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Cindy: :)

I totally agree with you there. The disadvantaged usually draw some
of the most well-intended, costly and useless advice and products. Sometimes at a physical, money and/or time cost to the disadvantaged.

Chances are you will be disappointed. But garlic and cinnamon are harmless to try and won't hurt your body....Friendships maybe. :D Some Type 2's are able to benefit from some of these natural products like cinnamon and bitter mellon. Type 1's, not much. I tried cinnamon for 2 or 3 mths. I found no difference in my blood sugars. Just be careful with some of the things being offered out there(usually for money). Herbs and teas do not work and actually have been classified as harmful to our health, in some cases.

I do not believe the garlic and S'more story however. You didn't say if the Person who ate the combo was a Diabetic. If so, then the meds. that they normally take would bring their sugar down. Too many variables. If a S'more is a sugar product like a chocolate bar or other, a non-Diabetic Person's body will automatically send out Insulin to get rid of glucose from sugary foods.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with Terrie. I wouldn't count on garlic to lower my blood glucose. Maybe it does help a little, but I don't think it would compensate for a S'more in a diabetic person. I am a type2 diabetic on two types of diabetes medication. I, personally, take 1000 mg of cinnamon twice a day. I'm not sure if it helps but I know it doesn't hurt. And the benefit is every once in a while I have a 'cinnamon burp' and I pretend it's not from the capsule I just took but really from a HUGE cinnamon roll I ate somewhere in fantasy land. :D

My doctor explained it like this to me. He said the medications I take are like sledge hammers in controlling my glucose levels. If I want to take cinnamon, I can, but it's like a little tiny hammer compared to my medications.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Cindy, I love garlic and I agree with the others as it may influence some but not a lot. Don't go into thinking that stop taking it as I would have it in as meal. For instance Cinnamon toast. ;) say the bread was 20G of carbs and subtract that with Cinnamon and that may equates to 15G of carbs. That's how I would think. :rolleyes::p

I would use the real garlic rather than the pharmaceutical industry's supplements. The same for the fish oil, I'll have the smoked salmon anyday. :D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, the woman was a diabetic who took the garlic after the S'more but i was assuming she was not on insulin or taking any medication but I didn't ask, since that was the premise of our conversation: people who take neither and only control their BG with diet. But, who knows. I think I will skip it. I take enough meds for other things and there's no use gumming up the works with things that may not be working at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would look into several supplements that will work the same way as garlic-enhancing insulin sensitivity.
Cinnamon
Alpha Linoleic Acid
Fish Oils
are three good ones to start.
Most spices also contain high amounts of anti-oxidants making them beneficial in alleviating nerve complications from diabetes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always heard that garlic was good for lowering BP, but not BG. That said, I don't think it has any effect on my blood pressure personally - mileage may vary I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts