The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the downsides for eating more salads and vegetables is the gas it produces. Both gas x and beano produce carbs. Does anyone have a healthy answer for the gas problem?

G

·
well I have a major problem myself with gas... but I stopped eating salads a while back as they hurt my stomach. But when it comes to vegetables, there are gas producing vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli that naturally create gas. Of course legumes would also. Maybe just eliminate or reduce the vegetables that do create gas and you may recover? I've tried that myself.. but I'm still loaded with gas so that's not the issue for me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you haven't been eating a lot of fiber adding too much at once will cause gas. I would suggest build it up slowly. When I first started to add Flaxseed to my diet, boy was I musical. After a few months I think my intestines got used to the added fiber and it rarely happens anymore. If it remains to be a problem discuss it with your doctor and maybe he can recomend some OTC products to deal with the gas.

·
Registered
716 Posts
jwags said:
If you haven't been eating a lot of fiber adding too much at once will cause gas. I would suggest build it up slowly. When I first started to add Flaxseed to my diet, boy was I musical. After a few months I think my intestines got used to the added fiber and it rarely happens anymore. If it remains to be a problem discuss it with your doctor and maybe he can recomend some OTC products to deal with the gas.
I never noticed that when I added flax meal to my yogurt in the morning. I just know that I am a significant contributor to GHG emissions. I just know its embarrassing to be a prolific producer.

G

·
I never noticed that when I added flax meal to my yogurt in the morning. I just know that I am a significant contributor to GHG emissions. I just know its embarrassing to be a prolific producer.
lol... that's a nice way of putting it :D I've been told by my family that I could power my own gas station. Luckily most of my gas comes out of my mouth... which is embarrassing enough as I have episodes that last hours. I think I'd be more embarrassed if it was the other way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cumin might help?

Like it was already suggested, building it up is very good advice. I remember when I simply switched to a vegetarian diet overnight. After a few days I could barely walk because of the sheer painnnnn...

I like chick peas, red kidney beans... but don't like the side effects :rolleyes: With Metformin, it's lethal. I now add cumin to almost all my meals. I love spices! And I love cumin too. I find it helps greatly with gas.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I seldom have many problems related to gas. I am surprised that the OP is getting no rlief with Beano or Gas-X. The problem is the bacteria in your gut eating the non-absorbed polysaccahrides from the vergetables.

Try adding some Live Bacteria yogurt to your diet. Dannon, Activa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts