The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing by now everyone here has heard that gastric bypass surgery has been pretty successful in sending type 2 diabetes into remission. Has anyone here actually had the surgery? What have been the results drawbacks. My doctor thinks I may be a candidate (in canada we can get it for free through our medicare system).

Since being diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago, I've started on a strict food and exercise regime. I've lost about 12 lbs and gone down a size. I take 500Mg. of Metformin a day and my fasting blood glucose is between 4. 6 and 5 (82-90 mg/dl). I seem to have pretty good control on my diabetes, but given the complications (Heart, kidney, etc.) why would anyone want to live with this disease if they could eliminate if with surgery?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm guessing by now everyone here has heard that gastric bypass surgery has been pretty successful in sending type 2 diabetes into remission. Has anyone here actually had the surgery? What have been the results drawbacks. My doctor thinks I may be a candidate (in canada we can get it for free through our medicare system).

Since being diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago, I've started on a strict food and exercise regime. I've lost about 12 lbs and gone down a size. I take 500Mg. of Metformin a day and my fasting blood glucose is between 4. 6 and 5 (82-90 mg/dl). I seem to have pretty good control on my diabetes, but given the complications (Heart, kidney, etc.) why would anyone want to live with this disease if they could eliminate if with surgery?
I have known several people to have the surgery. One had serious complications. It scares me, but I know it does work for some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are lots of different types of bypass surgery. The one that seems to be most effective is BPD/DS with a 95% success rate of sending diabetes type 2 into remission. Unile some bypass surgeries where you are limited to tiny food portion (i.e. 1/4 cup of food per sitting) due to small "pouch stomach" BPD/DS uses your existing stomach but bypasses much of the small intestine.

# Gastroplasty 79.7% resolution and after 2 years 77.5%
# Gastric bypass 80.3% resolution and after 2 years 70.9%
# Biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch (BPD/DS) 95.1% resolution and after 2 years 95.9%

Type 2 Diabetes and Bariatric Surgery ? Study showed 78 Percent Patients Completely Resolved High Blood Glucose | Best Syndication

1 - 3 of 3 Posts