The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and am just wondering if any of you have this going on and how you treat it. Does a liquid diet help? Is it worth trying? And do you find it flares and settles, flares and settles? Any thoughts? Advice?
It would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

G

·
Hi ((((Susie))))... I'm sorry to hear you've got this diagnosis. I know others here have mentioned they do have it. Having stomach troubles does seem to make managing our BGLs harder to do. I got diagnosed with functional dyspepsia this year, but my GP (regular doc) wants a second opinion as he still thinks I may have gastroparesis as well. I have an appointment to attend in August for the second opinion. The last test I had shows that my upper stomach doesn't process food very quick and where I get my pain is where the food sits. But that test result said my stomach was normal because 96% of it emptied after 4 hours. I think my upper stomach is slow and my lower stomach is quick... my GP thinks the same and wants further testing as he says it has to be treated properly. I've heard of liquid diets and I really don't know how that would work with diabetes?... it would make it difficult I'd imagine. I notice if I have any extra fat in my diet at all I'm in bad pain afterwards. I would think fat irritates because the stomach would usually have to work harder to process fat to begin with and if your stomach is disfunctional then it would be too hard I suppose. I would say with my condition it definitely flares and settles as far as pain goes... but I have constant bloating/gas and I burp an aweful lot every single day. I hope you're feeling Ok. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ((((Susie))))... I'm sorry to hear you've got this diagnosis. I know others here have mentioned they do have it. Having stomach troubles does seem to make managing our BGLs harder to do. I got diagnosed with functional dyspepsia this year, but my GP (regular doc) wants a second opinion as he still thinks I may have gastroparesis as well. I have an appointment to attend in August for the second opinion. The last test I had shows that my upper stomach doesn't process food very quick and where I get my pain is where the food sits. But that test result said my stomach was normal because 96% of it emptied after 4 hours. I think my upper stomach is slow and my lower stomach is quick... my GP thinks the same and wants further testing as he says it has to be treated properly. I've heard of liquid diets and I really don't know how that would work with diabetes?... it would make it difficult I'd imagine. I notice if I have any extra fat in my diet at all I'm in bad pain afterwards. I would think fat irritates because the stomach would usually have to work harder to process fat to begin with and if your stomach is disfunctional then it would be too hard I suppose. I would say with my condition it definitely flares and settles as far as pain goes... but I have constant bloating/gas and I burp an aweful lot every single day. I hope you're feeling Ok. :D
Thanks for the feedback! As for how I am feeling...I have been in worse spots before. Unfortunately it affects me from top to bottom of the G.I. Tract. Everything will simply stop moving causing nausea and extreme constipation. But I am on a temp med which seems to be helping at the moment. I should probably be more careful with fat intake like you said. I am so worried about low carb and don't eat meat so it is hard to stay away from everything.
I don't know either about the liquid diet and diabetes but figured when I am in a bad spot, maybe it would be easier for my system to handle.
ANyway, thanks again. It is comforting knowing there are others out there with some good suggestions and tips. (Sorry to hear about your diagnosis though.)
Have a great day!

G

·
oh glad to hear you're managing Ok. What med did the doc put you on? I am currently taking domperidone and esomeprazole.... they are helping me a little as I recall being off them and I'm even worse. I'm not sure if they are the right meds I should be on though at this stage until I get the final word on what is wrong with my stomach. I should explain that my GP thinks that functional dyspepsia is what they diagnose you with when they don't know what is wrong with you. My GP is of the opinion that there is an answer to everything and I just need to have all tests exhausted... which he says I haven't had done as yet. Apparently I haven't had the one where they measure pressure of your stomach. Another lady at work told me she had this test where they put a tube up your nose and down your stomach when you're awake which tests pressure and movement. She tells me that it traumatised her as she gagged constantly and they told her off for moving. It didn't sound that nice and I hope it isn't what they will do to me... but if it gets an answer, I guess I'll just have to put up with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very hard to get a difinitive diagnosis of Gastroparesis but due to my symptoms that's the most educated guess. (And given my history of so many years of poor control coupled with other complications it makes sense.)
As for that nasty test you speak of, I had that years ago, only they just went down the throat, not up the nose. It was brutal but I survived. It is amazing what you can get through when you have too.
Anyway, I like your G.P.'s way of thinking (That there is a reason or answer to every health problem). Some docs just write you off with the easiest answer and medicate you for that, hoping for the best. (Thankfully I too have an excellent G.P.)
I have been on Domperidone before but it didn't seem to help. Now I am on Misoprostol which is actually meant for something else but has the side effect of diarrhea. So in my case it just helps keep things moving. i am hoping not to be on it long term but only if my problems flare up.
Anyway, hope that helps.
Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is very hard to get a difinitive diagnosis of Gastroparesis but due to my symptoms that's the most educated guess. (And given my history of so many years of poor control coupled with other complications it makes sense.)
As for that nasty test you speak of, I had that years ago, only they just went down the throat, not up the nose. It was brutal but I survived. It is amazing what you can get through when you have too.
Anyway, I like your G.P.'s way of thinking (That there is a reason or answer to every health problem). Some docs just write you off with the easiest answer and medicate you for that, hoping for the best. (Thankfully I too have an excellent G.P.)
I have been on Domperidone before but it didn't seem to help. Now I am on Misoprostol which is actually meant for something else but has the side effect of diarrhea. So in my case it just helps keep things moving. i am hoping not to be on it long term but only if my problems flare up.
Anyway, hope that helps.
Have a great weekend.
That's what they've diagnosed me with Susie. They did a gastric emptying study though to determine it then followed up with the upper GI scope (which was easy, I went to sleep, woke up and it was done) just to make sure there was no blockage because my stomach was emptying so slowly.
A soft foods diet does help (I'd personally opt for that over liquid) and high fiber foods are a no no. The main thing is not to make your stomach work hard. There are some medications that can help but nothing will cure it because it's a damaged nerve causing it.
As for myself I'm still learning what foods and amounts are agreeable with my stomach and which aren't and still learning to make myself eat something even though I really have no desire to.
Omeprazole has become my best friend but all it helps with is the painful, sickening acid, that's a big deal though. If I skip even 1 dose it's immediately back on me.
I was taking Reglan to help my stomach move more but am scared of it, I go back next month to the Dr. and we'll look for an alternative to that but they tell me that is the best medication.
Taking my fast acting insulin has been a nightmare especially before they diagnosed the stomach problem and I've ending up crashing more times than I care to admit. With adequate diet control I've gotten that down to only needing it once a day mostly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what they've diagnosed me with Susie. They did a gastric emptying study though to determine it then followed up with the upper GI scope (which was easy, I went to sleep, woke up and it was done) just to make sure there was no blockage because my stomach was emptying so slowly.
A soft foods diet does help (I'd personally opt for that over liquid) and high fiber foods are a no no. The main thing is not to make your stomach work hard. There are some medications that can help but nothing will cure it because it's a damaged nerve causing it.
As for myself I'm still learning what foods and amounts are agreeable with my stomach and which aren't and still learning to make myself eat something even though I really have no desire to.
Omeprazole has become my best friend but all it helps with is the painful, sickening acid, that's a big deal though. If I skip even 1 dose it's immediately back on me.
I was taking Reglan to help my stomach move more but am scared of it, I go back next month to the Dr. and we'll look for an alternative to that but they tell me that is the best medication.
Taking my fast acting insulin has been a nightmare especially before they diagnosed the stomach problem and I've ending up crashing more times than I care to admit. With adequate diet control I've gotten that down to only needing it once a day mostly.
Good grief. Fiber is supposed to be good for you!!! And lowers the carb count! But I think you are right...I find when I eat a lot of beans and such i have worsened problems.
Thanks for you input. Muchly appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts