The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day all,

My dear wife has been diagnosed as pre-diabetes by her doctor after several tests. So I thought I'd find her some info & forums seem a better idea than wandering around the net.

As this is an intro perhaps I can pose a question. She ( & me) have been advised the good old days are gone and both of us must lose weight. We've already browsed around and have started with the Atkins Diet. We are both O.K. with it except for one drawback. We both miss bread.

Can we & if yes, what sort of bread and how much can we consume regularly?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to both of you. Low Carb and bread are difficult. Most breads made with any grain flour are fairly high in carbs. There are some lower carb breads on the market. They usually add lots of added fiber which can be subtracted from the carb count. An alternative many of us have found are low carb tortilla or wraps. Several of us have come up with our own bread recipes, check out the recipe forum. The only problem is when you don't use wheat flour the texture of the bread is different more like a bannana bread.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Yes, I miss bread too, but after being on Atkins for over a year, I've gotten used to it and only eat it in fancy restaurants with a ton of butter on it. That's helps a bit to prevent blood glucose spikes. I hope you have a meter to check with, because that helps a lot to learn what you can eat and what you'd better leave alone! Now that I'm below goal by a pound or two, I do allow myself a single slice now and then of a low carb bread a couple of times a week and it does spike me, but I'm lucky in that it comes down soon.

Good luck to both of you,

·
Registered
68 Posts
G'Day all,

My dear wife has been diagnosed as pre-diabetes by her doctor after several tests. So I thought I'd find her some info & forums seem a better idea than wandering around the net.

As this is an intro perhaps I can pose a question. She ( & me) have been advised the good old days are gone and both of us must lose weight. We've already browsed around and have started with the Atkins Diet. We are both O.K. with it except for one drawback. We both miss bread.

Can we & if yes, what sort of bread and how much can we consume regularly?
G'Day from Byron Bay,
Bread, its hard, but Im hopeing the longer we stay away from it the easier it will be, Changing our tastes and what works for us has to be better

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Mr & Mrs AaLF! Yep - bread is one of the toughest habits to break. I think it does get easier when you're off it for a few weeks . . . we just don't buy it at all so there's none in the house. When we're in a restaurant, we try to be strong enough to tell the wait staff to not bring any bread, but sometimes our resolve weakens. :p

Atkins is a good low-carb plan & you'll find that her blood sugar benefits greatly from it. Actually, there are many people who use Atkins for the blood sugar benefits and the weight loss is icing on the cake, so once you've reached goal weight, don't give up Atkins - she'll still need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts